Low Country 4x4, Charleston, SC - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Low Country 4x4, Charleston, SC

I stopped into Low Country 4x4 in Charleston, SC to inquire about rotating my inner C's on my Dana 44 in order to correct castor and pinion angle. My Jeep drives pretty good but I would like it better. And I am willing to spend the money to have it corrected.

So I walk into this place with my 21 month old son in one hand and my other on my wallet ready for an impulse buy. Showroom was weak but hey that is ok, I understand it may be expensive to keep an inventory. The guy at the desk is on the phone scheduling something for a customer. No nod or anything, that's fine too. So another up comes in and asks if I had been helped and I replied I had not yet been, the other guy has been on the phone. Very politely and easy gong I might ad, in my delivery. I explain to the second guy that I have a 09 JKUR with a 6" Teraflex longarm and would like to find out if they are willing to grind the weld from my inner C's and rotate them to compensate for piņon angle and castor differences with my lift. I explained that my rig drives ok but would like it better. As I explain the situation and my goal to him he begins to condescendingly grin and look away and even appeared to roll his eyes a little. This pisses me off of course but I say nothing. I also explained to him that from what I have read it is not uncommon to take measures to address castor and pinion issues. With this arrogant, tone and smirk he explains to me I have been reading too much and that this is a non issue. Told me the control arms were probably wrong. He said it could probably be fixed with a $32 set of cam bolts. When I expressed politely in my education, JkO, that cam bolts were not the common fix. He continued in his arrogant tone this was not a big issue. I asked him well "why are the guys at Dynatrac building the PR44's with and extra10 degrees, or however many, of castor correction"? Overkill is basically what he said.

I can appreciate a business making a "professional" attempt to save a customer time money and aggravation. What I can not tolerate is an arrogant, seemingly redneck, shop owner/clerk with condescending tone and smirks telling me I don't know anything and my rig is setup incorrectly and everyone is just reading too much. Well maybe if the shop employee did a little more reading he would not be operating his shop in the extra bays of a boat dealership.

Due to my participation on this forum I have had the pleasure of dealing with Marcus at RCO, Sean at Northridge4x4, Rebel Offroad and I can assure you Lowcountry that the three aforementioned offroad shops could certainly educate you in the inner workings of professionalism and customer appreciation.

In the end I spent not a dime with him when n fact I was ready to spend a few bucks on whatever. I do not understand where professionalism has gone. Many businesses act as if they are dong the customer a favor. Bullshit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Professionalism or Incompetence ??

I know nothing about this shop, but looking at their website it looks like they are an off road accesory shop that offers installs as well... as long as that install consists of a bolt on part.

Doesnt appear that there is anyfabrication work in any of their "build" or "projects" posted on the site

I see alot of car accesory shops opening up that are not equipped or knowledgable to do fab work or other mechanical issues that are not bolt on aftermarket stuff..

again .. maybe i'm way off base but. Maybe they werent able to do the service, or have the attitude that its not something they hear requested all of the time so its probably not important ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I don't know what their deal is. But I will probably never deal with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Wheeler

They wanted something stupid like 2k for a lift install last year when I bought my RK2.5 flex. So I said go pound sand and I did it all myself. At the time I didn't have a wrench to torque down the jam nuts and didn't install my bumpstops. I called them up and asked what it would be to have them do it. $500 to tighten 3 nuts and install from bump stops. Needless to say they don't get any business from me.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

I know its a little bit of a drive, but if you are ever up in Columbia drop by and see the guys at CFS Offroad, they do a ton of fab work ranginf from building beadlocks to custom cages, and have very reasonable rates.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Most offroad shops are like dealerships.
They don't know a god damn thing except for what's on the computer screen infront of their face.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
Most offroad shops are like dealerships.
They don't know a god damn thing except for what's on the computer screen infront of their face.
Some don't have internet or check email. They specialize in CJs for the most part.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I had a similar reaction to the guy at the shop when I got to jkur :-)

Sounds like most 4x4 shops around. I bet they install a mean truck cap and rain guards though.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode