Beware of T&T Customs Quality and Customer Service - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Beware of T&T Customs Quality and Customer Service

I'm having some powder coating problems with my T&T Customs Rock Sliders that T&T refuses to stand by. The sliders are almost two years old now and out of the original 1-year warranty. This is the second set of rock sliders that I have received from T&T Customs, as the first set developed the exact same problem and had rust take over in less than a year. Those were reported within a few months and replaced. I was told by one of their sales guys over the phone at the time that they were new to powder coating and they were going to make it right. They did that time.

With the replacement set, I noticed some small spots within the first year but wasn't going to be "that guy" and complain about small issues. This spring, those spots have taken over. There is clearly a defect with their product which they have yet to resolve, and they will not stand by their work. I clearly explained my situation in a calm and respectful manner including the same images that I have uploaded for you guys. Their response, after 10 days since I sent the original email, was that I was out of warranty and they're not going to help.

It's important to note that this is a garaged JK that is not driven daily. My other powder coated equipment on the same vehicle, that has been installed for an even longer period, has shown ZERO rust problems in the exact same environment. For those of you not familiar with Wyoming, it is a fairly dry environment. We are not in the "rust belt", which I thought T&T would understand, as they are also from Wyoming.

I'm sharing this information because I would've appreciated it myself when I was in the market for rocker protection. If the pictures shown are acceptable to you after being installed less than two years, feel free to spend your hard earned cash with T&T Customs. Otherwise, if you would appreciate a quality powder coated and rust free product, I'd advise you and any of my friends to take their money elsewhere.

For reference, here is a link to my original set of sliders. Notice how I didn't completely crap all over their name and gave them an opportunity to make it right.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...nions-1184249/

I know T&T Customs is a member of this forum. If I have said anything untruthful here or they would like to continue to support their stance, they can voice their opinion. They also have my phone number and address.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary

Last edited by allibaster; 04-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Rock God

That is just messed up. Sorry you are having that experience. I had a similar experience with another vendor. Which is why I now only buy bumpers and sliders in bare metal and have them powder coated myself. I take them to a professional powder coater who sands blasts everything, even bare steel, applies a zinc rich powder primer and then the color of my choice. Costs way more than $70, but it holds up far better.
post #3 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Rock God

That sucks man.... but honestly your warranty was more than a little bit out and they are rock sliders..

Just sand them down and give them a new paint job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I think I would have touched them up with a rattle can before I let them get this bad. However, I know what brand not to buy. Thanks.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #5 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Rock God

This is why powder coating on these things is stupid. Get stuff in bare metal, save money, spray then with the rustoleum hammered paint. When they get scratched and rust, wire wheel them and repaint...

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #6 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, guys.

Yes, they are out of their 1-year warranty, but the powder coat is obviously bad. I think they should've stood by their work through at least a repair.

Shouldn't it have lasted longer if it was well put together? I know my other powder coated parts certainly are.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #7 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
This is why powder coating on these things is stupid. Get stuff in bare metal, save money, spray then with the rustoleum hammered paint. When they get scratched and rust, wire wheel them and repaint...
This, unless its a mall crawler or the money is of no concern powder coating is just to expensive for something that is going to get beat on anyways. If you are going with powder coat always do it local. Shipping alone usually damages the powder coat finish one way or another. Rattle can it once a year or two on the cheap.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

You better check your frame, you've got rust... Lots of rust.
post #9 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepmods View Post
You better check your frame, you've got rust... Lots of rust.
That's the mount for the T&T slider.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #10 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
That's the mount for the T&T slider.
I understand what your saying and why your frustrated but they are rock sliders. When they slide against rocks it damages them and any kind of sharpie, paint, powdercoat, unobtanium etc will wear off. Once it wears off, rust forms. Whenever you wheel and get home, spray down anything that got roughed up with some black paint. If the warranty on finish is one year then why would they warranty after 2x the warranty period? It's on the exterior of a vehicle that gets driven in all kinds of conditions. They aren't bending, cracking, etc. Obviously none of us want rust on our rigs and want our products to be indestructable so I really do understand where your coming from bud and why your frustrated.
Those are the mounts for the TNT sliders?
Attached Images

'15 JKUR

Last edited by eizenjin91; 04-05-2013 at 10:34 PM.
post #11 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Honestly... just clean them up and repaint man. You're out of warranty, and it's not like the sliders are falling apart.

Greg
post #12 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Also, this should be in DL not general discussion.

'15 JKUR

Last edited by eizenjin91; 04-05-2013 at 10:32 PM.
post #13 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Wheeler

Are you the same one that bitched about his mall crawler having rust and then T&T shut you up?
post #14 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Honestly... just clean them up and repaint man. You're out of warranty, and it's not like the sliders are falling apart.
do this. they are still nice pieces.

i'm not making excuses for them, but powdercoating is very difficult to be consistent with, and i bet after this they consider shipping only bare metal from here on out. have em sandblasted and do you up a nice spray-on paint job, they will look great again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #15 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 PM
It never ends...

I have a lot of TnT parts. I like their parts because they work very well, designed well, strong and tough, and the people from TnT are super easy to deal with. I've got 4 jeeps built by them. So yes, I am biased.

A couple things:

1. The title of your thread is beware TnT customs quality and service. That strikes me as a bit broad and unfair. They make great parts. True you had issues with yours, but blasting them broadly strikes me a bit unfair. More appropriate: Rust on my TnT sliders and I'm not happy about it or the service they gave to me.
2. Your issue is rust on sliders that are out of warranty. Did they have rust while they were in warranty?
3. You mention they are about a year out of warranty. Is it normal to expect companies to warranty stuff that isn't in warranty? I don't.
4. Did you talk to Mary or Bob (Owners) about it? Or just email? If you haven't talked to them, it is always worthwhile to do so. They are good people.
5. You have a beautiful jeep, that once you touch it up with sand paper and some black paint will even look better. I haven't had any rust issues on the TnT parts, but I have had issues on fenders made by someone else. I sanded them and painted them with Black rustoleum. No more rust.

Those are great sliders--albeit they need paint!

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 04-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.
post #16 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
5. You have a beautiful jeep, that once you touch it up with sand paper and some black paint will even look better. I have had any rust issues on the TnT parts, but I have had issues on fenders made by someone else. I sanded them and painted them with Black rustoleum. No more rust.
you have had rust issues on the tnt parts? damn typ'os

'15 JKUR
post #17 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenjin91 View Post
you have had rust issues on the tnt parts? damn typ'os
Fixed it, thanks. Truth be told, Rex has his own can of paint. Seems he keeps bumping into rocks. On the other three jeeps, no issues.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #18 of 82 Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

I feel ya bud. Every time I come back from a wheeling trip I whip out the spray can because I have to paint both sliders and generally my rear bumper. Still love your freaking rig btw.

'15 JKUR
post #19 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

How about taking it out in some rocks where you would have to use the sliders then you could scrape that rust off then repaint them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #20 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Rock God

Do you do any rock crawling at all? Were there any scrapes from rocks on the sliders? If you only drive it on the road then the only reason the sliders would rust is poor prep below the powdercoat. If you do wheel, the you have to keep cleaning up and repainting your sliders to keep them from rusting. Skids are the same way. Hell, my skids look like a roadmap right now. You might give the silicon epoxy finish a try. Very slick and resistant to any kind of moisture penetration. As with any finish, surface prep is critical. Get any rust or moisture off the surface before painting. Prime with an etching primer before painting.
post #21 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Im sorry, but bashing a company because their products developed a bit of rust, is ridiculous. Not only should the customer be responsible (I believe for maintaining its appearance but touching up areas of scraping), second, its fucking rust dude, scrap it off, and rattle can it. Powdercoat does not belong on ROCK!! sliders anyways.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #22 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 AM
JKO Addict!

1. I think this should be in DL.

2. I have LOD sliders powdercoated and after about 2 trips threw the rocks I spray mine also. My skids have more spray paint on them then powder now.

3. I think the reason they didn't email back right away is maybe they were in Moab last week with everyone else?

4. I get it when shit you buy doesn't meet all expectations...believe me I do. But my question is do they do there own in house powdercoating? It probably a vender they have been using. I do realize you bought from them though.

5. Good Luck with your Rockers other than the rust they look well built.
post #23 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Banned

First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.

I have to ask, do you believe that powdercoating is indestrucible and as such, should outlast all mankind? Get the fuck over it and just fix it yourself. This thread is an embarassment to all that is JKO, you fucking crybaby nancy boy.

Now, that being said, in the interest of being a HELPFUL Dickface (TM), here's what you need to do:

Buy yourself a few 3M pads and some rattle can spraypaint

scrape off that rusty shit with the 3M pads

use the rattle cans and paint these poor sliders that have never gotten closer than 5 nautical miles to a rock they could slide over.

Then shut the fuck up

Really, this is a non-problem you had with a product that was so fucking far out of warranty, normal people are sitting around all across the country wondering if maybe you're actually an 8 year old boy with a beef against his parents who happen to own this company because they sent you to bed without dinner due to the fact that you shaved the cat after you heard shaved pussies are where it's at these days.

But then we all realize at the same time, because we're all on the same page like that, that even an 8 year old boy would know how to fix this shit, so clearly you're not an 8 year old boy. Maybe you are a 12 year old girl experiencing PMS for the first time. This is a far more plausible explanation than someone getting a full YEAR outside a one year warranty and actually expecting the company to do anything other than laugh at them when they ask for warranty work. It's ok. This is just part of the circle of life, honey. You should really talk to mommy about this. She can help you understand what is happening to you. By the way, pretty soon your no no place is going to start bleeding for days and days. Don't worry, you're not dying. You just have a vagina. And that's ok.

Now, of all the steps outlined above, the shutting the fuck up part really is the most crucial of them all. You must follow these instructions to the letter in order to achieve proper results, which would be never again posting stupid shit like this ever again on JKO.

Be sure to post back to let us know how all this works out, because I'm sure there are other girls out there who are also experiencing PMS for the first time as well and some of them have inept mothers who aren't helping them through it either.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 04-06-2013 at 07:14 AM.
post #24 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Points taken, fellas.

The problem with just "taking a rattle can to them" as some of you are suggesting, is that a lot of rust has developed on the top of the square tubing under the step. How am I supposed to get to that to clean it up? I'll have to cut off the top step.

You guys can bash me all you want. I'm just sharing my experience and voicing my opinion. If this is the "norm" for you, fine. For me, and others who would be equally disappointed, they may appreciate the warning.

For what it's worth, this is a picture of the first set I got from T&T Customs. The rust under the sliders is similar on my current set. It's maybe not as simple of a clean up as everyone is suggesting.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary

Last edited by allibaster; 04-06-2013 at 07:37 AM.
post #25 of 82 Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

We get it, but man they set you a new set once and your second set is way out of warranty.

Just mask them off and spray them. My 2 cents! Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode