New trailer with used tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

New trailer with used tires

New trailer with used tires

Something for you people to look for when considering purchase of a new trailer.
I recently sold my old trailer because I wanted to upgrade.
Well, I went and found a brand new 6 ton trailer, 20 footer to haul my toys on.
Since it was brand new, I didn't pay much attention to the tires other than that they were inflated properly
and the lug nuts were properly torqued. Then loaded my JEEP up and made a 2800 mile round trip to Arizona and back home.
Before I got home, I noticed that one of the tires was about worn out. WOW!! I got back home and talked to the dealer
and he said to take it in and get it aligned, so that is what I did and then went to talk to him about replacing the tires that were badly worn.
It just so happened that he was out of his office for personal business that day, so I spoke to on of his employees briefly about my problem
and he told me that particular trailer manufacturer has started shipping new trailers with used tires on them!!! I came unglued!! I went back to the dealer
the next day and spoke with him about it, and sure as sheeit, his employee was correct. But, he did order 4 new tires for me, and will swap them out when they get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Banned

I can't imagine this is legal. Did you speak directly to the manufacturer to ensure the dealer isn't just blowing smoke up your tailpipe?

post #3 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nope. I just spoke with the dealer. He is the one making it right, and he is working with the MFGR to get things straightened out according to what he told me. He also paid me for getting the trailer aligned right away. So, with that, I am going to let things be; but I just posted this for a heads up for any one else that may be looking to buy a new trailer in the near future, so they will look closely at the tires that are on the trailer.
As a side note; when trailers are shipped from the manufacturer to distributers and dealers; they will dis-assemble 4 or 5 trailers and load them on to one trailer and pull the loaded trailer. When I saw that the tires on mine had some wear on them, I assumed this was the case with mine, so I didn't think too much about it. I just figured that it was the one that got to be pulled and had a few miles on it.
As far as the legalities of it, I don't know what that may be. Seems to me that in this day and age, that the manufacturer is leaving themselves wide open to a law suit if something bad were to happen. But that would be their ass and not mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Banned

Sure, if you survive the crash.

post #5 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Sure, if you survive the crash.
Yup. Hopefully, others looking to buy a new trailer will see my post and look and ask before plopping down the hard earned cash and driving out the door on used tires. I guess that was the primary reason for my post, as well as vent a little. If dealers and manufacturers don't give a heads up, I will.
And here is to them!!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Maybe the dealer just got caught and wants to make it right before you start a lawsuit and the truth comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Maybe the dealer just got caught and wants to make it right before you start a lawsuit and the truth comes out.
Way too damn much law suit shit in this country any how. As long as he makes it right and nothing bad has happened; I will be cool with it.
Who got caught, I don't know. I know that probably the MOST of these trailers don't see a lot of miles, and the original tires probably rot off long before they ever wear out. But it still should be something everyone looks closely at when buying. I can just chock it up as another notch is my belt of experience at this point.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Granite Guru

I've been looking at trailers up here recently and noticed a lot of new trailers come with used tires on them. Dealers say you can upgrade to new tires for an additional 50 or so per tire. Complete bs if you ask me. I couldn't believe if either
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Wheeler

Same story in west TN. They advertize low trailer prices. Then they offer "new tires" as an option. They wanted $80 each + tax and a small labor fee. I took to craigs list and found one almost new way cheaper.

Eccl: 1:8-11 All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, “Look! This is something new”? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. No one remembers the former generations, and even those yet to come will not be remembered by those who follow them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode