I know it's been said but NAFTA is full on BS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
I know it's been said but NAFTA is full on BS

Ok so I go grocery shopping today, and all the grocery store has are Mexican tomatoes, $1.99/lb for crap they have no meat on them, the juicy part is just like water cut the top off the tomato and all the liquid and seed pours out.

Then go down the line, oh look Mexican cucumbers, Mexican bell peppers all soft and not worth the expensive price they charge.

Though ironically the beans came from South Africa...

Nothing Canadian and the only American produce was Apples and they were great quality, the stuff from Chile, Peru and South Africa looked ok but really who wants to support some 3rd world country when you should be able to support your own.

I asked the produce manager why they don't have Canadian hydroponics from Leamington (home of some of the largest hydroponic operations in Canada) and found out that due to NAFTA Canadian produce goes to the states (which is ok but why can't we get American produce here) but we have to put up with the crap that some Tijuana bean picker who doesn't know how to grow food and is exporting crap food for 4 pesos and 6 tacos...

As far as I'm concerned they didn't deserve those tacos!

Why can't there be a big canal or Israeli style wall built with a " Your no longer welcome, Fuck Off / Tu ya no son bienvenidos, Fuck Off " sign put every 5 feet along the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Free trade benefits all those involved. Nothing in the North American Free Trade Agreement requires your local produce to be sold in the US; there is simply a more lucrative market there for the sellers. The same reason the SA produce is sold where you are.

Evidently the locally grown produce requires a higher price point than your area is willing to pay. If the growers were not allowed to freely trade without artificially induced government inflation in cost then you would be paying a higher price or the growers would not be in business.

In this case, thanks to NAFTA everyone involved is able to purchase produce at their price point in the middle of winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well it is the dead of winter. Maybe you just got a bad batch. I don't know much about your hydroponic growers and the flavor but I've had some nasty hot house tomatoes, pithy and dry, that I'd rather do without than eat.

Mexican tomatoes are usually some of the best. I was listening to the radio recently and Florida growers were trying to have the rules changed to favor domestic production because apparently the Mexicans are kicking their asses in the free market. They were accusing mex of intentionally flooding the market with underpriced goods. Not sure how that's going to play out.

They brought up the fact that we still gas them to ripen them which diminishes the flavor while Mexican farmers have percected the on-the-vine method.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 02-24-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Ross Perot was right. Ya'll heah that big sucking sound?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
They brought up the fact that we still gas them to ripen them which diminishes the flavor while Mexican farmers have percected the on-the-vine method.
Thats called letting the outhouse run into the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Well it is the dead of winter. Maybe you just got a bad batch. I don't know much about your hydroponic growers and the flavor but I've had some nasty hot house tomatoes, pithy and dry, that I'd rather do without than eat.

Mexican tomatoes are usually some of the best. I was listening to the radio recently and Florida growers were trying to have the rules changed to favor domestic production because apparently the Mexicans are kicking their asses in the free market. They were accusing mex of intentionally flooding the market with underpriced goods. Not sure how that's going to play out.

I hear ya on the hot-house tomatoes. The skin is thick, and the tomatoes themselves taste like...well...nothing. Absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't feed the shit to my pets.

- Dan

1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Thats called letting the outhouse run into the field.
That's what enhances the flavor

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2013, 03:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Free trade is a free market, as it should be.

Right up until the point that government starts subsidizing anything. Then it all goes to hell.

This is why the US gov't subsidized corn overage is sent down to Mexico and sold for pennies on the dollar (originally paid for with YOUR tax money in the first place) and puts Mexican corn farming operations out of business. Which sends their workers across the Northern border to find a job.

Just one example of hundreds.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode