GO RECON's CUSTOMER SERVICE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

GO RECON's CUSTOMER SERVICE ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week my passenger side right side marker started going out in less then a year (I THOUGHT they came with a 1-year warranty). Contacted them about it. They said send a picture and descirbe problem and leave my contact information. I did one better and sent them a video.

Finally got an email back that I was out of warranty and to contact them to see what they could do for me. I did. The person who emailed me was apparently too busy to take my call. The person I spoke to offered "to help". I explained the situation. He explained that the warranty was 90 days! Really, 90 days for overpriced LEDs? Wow, Recon, really stand behind your product, huh? He offered to sell & ship to me just the passenger side for $70+, WTF?!? The whole set cost me like a $100 to begin with. Overpriced in my opinion, but the only option at the time. I asked why I would have to pay over $70 for one when a set would cost $100, he said "well, you could do that too". I said "OK, then I'm gonna remove all your product, throw them away, and post on the forums that I am highly active on MY poor experience with recon's customer service which already has a reputation online for sucking.

I suggested to him why not make me happy by sending me a FREE replacement AND send me a set of their new JK LED Tail lights, let me install them, review them, and post up my great experience with Recon customer service. He basically just said can't do whatever you like, and was silent. I hung up.

This was the second time I had to deal with Recon about a "issue" and both times absolutely sucked. They suck. I am removing my Go recon smoked LED side markers and turn signals ASAP. I will be destroying both sets and throwing them away. I may even take a video of this. I will be replacing them with the cheaper eBay smoked LED side markers and turn signals, which look to be idential to the Recons.

I don't like to bash companies. I always try to resolve issues quietly with them. When I've have great experiences (like with William @ TNT Customs), I've mentioned it. Now, with this POOR experience with Go Recon, I wasn't gonna keep my mouth shut or not type away.

F**K GO RECON!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant,
Jeff Kashat (JKashat)

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Rock God

for the life of me i cant remember where posts like this should go...
post #3 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Rock God

All this time I thought your SN was "JK asshat"...huh. Learned something new today.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

You might of had better luck if you asked for some free gas jug caps instead of the tail lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Rock God

shitty product for sure, but this is a pretty clear cut case of the customer being out of touch with reality. you didnt know the warranty, just made up a number and then got mad at them for actually having a different one. then, when they offered to send you a discounted replacement, you bitched and moaned.

and your suggestion to them to fix things was to not just replace the broken item, but to send you a few hundred dollars worth of more shit? really?

personally, YDI for spending 100 bucks on a side marker.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKashat View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suggested to him why not make me happy by sending me a FREE replacement AND send me a set of their new JK LED Tail lights, let me install them, review them, and post up my great experience with Recon customer service. my rant,
Jeff Kashat (JKashat)
Aaaaaaaaand ya lost me.

post #7 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the opposite experience with Recon......

I bought a set of their cab lights (w/clear lenses) for my 2005 F250 and they turned yellow due to UV exposure in about 8 months. I shot a note to them and got a quick reply that they were looking into the UV inhibitor mix in their lights. They sent me a new set with better UV properties (changed their mix) and gave me a code for a one time 50% discount on anything that I wanted to order. I bought a bunch of shit, swapped out the lights and they were on my truck for the next four years and just fine when I sold them.

I half expected to be told to get F'ed but ended up walking away very happy.

I have their front smoked markers and turns on my JK and no issues after about 2 years.... and I have taken them in/out several times.

I hate to hear that you had trouble.

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 02-06-2013 at 04:14 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
shitty product for sure, but this is a pretty clear cut case of the customer being out of touch with reality. you didnt know the warranty, just made up a number and then got mad at them for actually having a different one. then, when they offered to send you a discounted replacement, you bitched and moaned.

and your suggestion to them to fix things was to not just replace the broken item, but to send you a few hundred dollars worth of more shit? really?

personally, YDI for spending 100 bucks on a side marker.
^^^^ this!

So you're not happy with their products or customer service yet you want for them to send you more products, for free??? REALLY!?
post #9 of 29 Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
V8 dreams

The taillight thing...that is fucking ridiculous man

And threatening to tattle on the Internet...c'mon, they already have poor reviews on most the sites I see them on...cause I was lookin at em too

Vandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #10 of 29 Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Recon representative was being a douche, so I just thought I'd flip the script. I knew it wouldn't happen but thought I'd give a chance to avoid more bad press and have some good press for once at the cost of some free product. They could have just written it off as a advertising expense.

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
post #11 of 29 Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Last week my passenger side right side marker started going out in less then a year (I THOUGHT they came with a 1-year warranty). Contacted them about it. They said send a picture and descirbe problem and leave my contact information. I did one better and sent them a video.

Finally got an email back that I was out of warranty and to contact them to see what they could do for me. I did. The person who emailed me was apparently too busy to take my call. The person I spoke to offered "to help". I explained the situation. He explained that the warranty was 90 days! Really, 90 days for overpriced LEDs? Wow, Recon, really stand behind your product, huh? He offered to sell & ship to me just the passenger side for $70+, WTF?!? The whole set cost me like a $100 to begin with. Overpriced in my opinion, but the only option at the time. I asked why I would have to pay over $70 for one when a set would cost $100, he said "well, you could do that too". I said "OK, then I'm gonna remove all your product, throw them away, and post on the forums that I am highly active on MY poor experience with recon's customer service which already has a reputation online for sucking.

I suggested to him why not make me happy by sending me a FREE replacement AND send me a set of their new JK LED Tail lights, let me install them, review them, and post up my great experience with Recon customer service. He basically just said can't do whatever you like, and was silent. I hung up.

This was the second time I had to deal with Recon about a "issue" and both times absolutely sucked. They suck. I am removing my Go recon smoked LED side markers and turn signals ASAP. I will be destroying both sets and throwing them away. I may even take a video of this. I will be replacing them with the cheaper eBay smoked LED side markers and turn signals, which look to be idential to the Recons.

I don't like to bash companies. I always try to resolve issues quietly with them. When I've have great experiences (like with William @ TNT Customs), I've mentioned it. Now, with this POOR experience with Go Recon, I wasn't gonna keep my mouth shut or not type away.

F**K GO RECON!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant,
Jeff Kashat (JKashat)
Whenever you buy something, it's your responsibility know what the warranty is. You being surprised by the representative telling you the warranty was 90 days is all on you.

Then going off about their product being overpriced after you bought them doesn't help your case either. After all, you did purchase said overpriced items.

And no manufacture/retail outlet would ever take your suggestion for corrections. It was definitely too overboard.

Quote:
Recon representative was being a douche, so I just thought I'd flip the script. I knew it wouldn't happen but thought I'd give a chance to avoid more bad press and have some good press for once at the cost of some free product. They could have just written it off as a advertising expense.
However you try to justify it, it's you that comes out looking bad.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #12 of 29 Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
Whenever you buy something, it's your responsibility know what the warranty is. You being surprised by the representative telling you the warranty was 90 days is all on you.

Then going off about their product being overpriced after you bought them doesn't help your case either. After all, you did purchase said overpriced items.

And no manufacture/retail outlet would ever take your suggestion for corrections. It was definitely too overboard.

Thanks for your perspective. It is well taken. I was pissed of at how I was spoke to/treated after the email said I would be helped out. I did buy the product even though I thought it was overpriced because at the time there was no other option to achieve the look I wanted, being smoked LEDs. I have already mentioned my mistake in not knowing the warranty. But, it's also been mentioned that their warranty is not clearly described and laid out even on their website.

post #13 of 29 Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
I thought it was overpriced because at the time there was no other option to achieve the look I wanted
check out VHT Nightshades....

been on the market for years.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #14 of 29 Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I suggested to him why not make me happy by sending me a FREE replacement AND send me a set of their new JK LED Tail lights, let me install them, review them, and post up my great experience with Recon customer service
What makes your opinion on something so credible that it'd be worth their effort?

So by trading free parts to change your "bad review" would to a "great review" so everyone else would go buy their parts, boy...what a great contributor you are to the Jeep community.

You are upset because you didn't know the warranty on something you purchase and it failed. I'm not sure why they should have to do anything about it. Don't like their discounted price? Again, they don't have to do that either. Yes their warranty is a bit short for what it is..but you agreed to those terms by buying it and installing it.

Quote:
But, it's also been mentioned that their warranty is not clearly described and laid out even on their website.
http://www.gorecon.com/customer_serv...cle.php?csak=9

Quote:
A: Any RECON products that are found to be defective in either material or craftsmanship will be covered under our Warranty as stated below. Lighting items that require electrical 12-volt power during operation are covered for a period of 90 days following the original purchase date. All warranty claims must be accompanied by a completed RECON Warranty Return Authorization Sheet (found at the bottom of the "DOWNLOADS" section of our website) & the original proof of purchase (a customers first & last name along with their order # must be legible on the proof of purchase documentation). To initiate this process, this information must be sent via email to [email protected].
Laid out pretty clear to me..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 02-15-2013 at 04:39 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Rock God

ill agree thats a shitty warranty but its pretty clear and i doubt they changed it right before yours broke. why not put the factorys back in. at least they work
post #16 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

Let me try to summarize:

1. Your parts were out of warranty

2. GoRecon offered a soulution you didnt like (probably because everything wasn't going to be free)

3. Your counter demands were completely unreasonable

4. Unsatisfied that GoRecon didnt lay down and take it, you bring this self righteous sob story to the internet.

and..
5. You get yourself flamed.

Sound about right?
post #17 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Really.... who gives a shit !

here is a guy who spent all kinds of dough on Led's, lighting, color matched look good parts, big stereo and all other kinds of bullshit...

and then posts that he is looking to by cheap steel wheels, because he really wants beadlocks but they are not in the budget ???

Guy, clearly has his priorities a bit out of order from the get go... But he is BANNED no so, back to Line #1 - really....who gives a shit !

I dont care that the product sucks or the warranty is only 90 days cuz i aint buying there stuff anyway !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #18 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

1) didn't realize that. Already stated. Website says many different things.

2) I never spoke to the person who offered to help me out but someone else who was a complete douche bag on the phone.

3) counter demands were not demands, but sarcastic reply to douche on phone not trying to get the person on the phone that I called to talk to or actually help me out.

4) unsatisfied that I was email and told that I would be helped. I was not in any way except to frustrate me at the douche bag I had to deal with.

5) flame away, I thought this was jko not jk-f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1P View Post
Let me try to summarize:

1. Your parts were out of warranty

2. GoRecon offered a soulution you didnt like (probably because everything wasn't going to be free)

3. Your counter demands were completely unreasonable

4. Unsatisfied that GoRecon didnt lay down and take it, you bring this self righteous sob story to the internet.

and..
5. You get yourself flamed.

Sound about right?
Thanks for saying I have all kinds of bullshit on my jeep. *I really appreciate and value you opinion. You really know how to make a fellow member feel welcome and good about the choice of mods done on his jeep.*

I posted about possibly getting steel wheels instead of beadlocks because I already have 37" bfg a/t's on AEV pintlers and 37" bfg km2's on HRE tr45's. the steel wheels or beadlocks would be a third set of wheels and tires for me. So I was second guessing spending $600+ per wheel on the TR double beadlocks and spending the money elsewhere or not. Never necessarily about a budget. My build has never really been a budget build.*

And, why would I be banned, for being upset about poor customer service and ranting/venting a bit? Really? Again, thought I was on jko NOT on jk-f. Or did things change recently?

Wtf? Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Really.... who gives a shit !
all kinds of dough on Led's, lighting, color matched look good parts, big stereo and all other kinds of bullshit...

and then posts that he is looking to by cheap steel wheels, because he really wants beadlocks but they are not in the budget ???

Guy, clearly has his priorities a bit out of order from the get go... But he is BANNED no so, back to Line #1 - really....who gives a shit !

I dont care that the product sucks or the warranty is only 90 days cuz i aint buying there stuff anyway !

post #19 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
check out VHT Nightshades....

been on the market for years.
I have that stuff. But I wanted LEDs.

post #20 of 29 Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar the grouch View Post
ill agree thats a shitty warranty but its pretty clear and i doubt they changed it right before yours broke. why not put the factorys back in. at least they work
I picked up the smoked LEDs off eBay. They just arrived the other day. They were cheaper than the recons and looked to be the same. Turns out they are the exact same light recon sells, just not in recons fancy packaging.

post #21 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post

i disagree, the op has a point to expect customer service and he didnt get it. I shop with only two vendors just for this reason...they service my needs even when I make a poor choice..this is why I have a relationship with them and not just buying one part...everybody want to drop ship someone elses parts, but few want to do customer service...
post #22 of 29 Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

5) flame away, I thought this was jko not jk-f.

The flaming is fully expected, and some would argue warranted, because this IS NOT jk-f.

And, why would I be banned, for being upset about poor customer service and ranting/venting a bit? Really? Again, thought I was on jko NOT on jk-f. Or did things change recently?

Wtf? Thanks guys.
Guess he read BANNED in your custom user title LOL

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace8 View Post
i disagree, the op has a point to expect customer service and he didnt get it. I shop with only two vendors just for this reason...they service my needs even when I make a poor choice..this is why I have a relationship with them and not just buying one part...everybody want to drop ship someone elses parts, but few want to do customer service...
Expecting good customer service and getting it are two different things. Making an overboard suggestion for resolution when your receive bad customer service will still get you nowhere...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #24 of 29 Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Go buy some lens tint and order some LEDs off superbrightleds.com and you will have the same look for a fraction of the price. If you think something is overpriced, then look elsewhere and don't buy them. And when you call/email your complaint, be as nice as possible to them because they decide your fate pretty much. Example, I ordered a $90 golf club in mint condition (meaning it was only hit 1-3 times according to them) and what I got was some effed up piece of trash. Emailed them and explained my situation and showed them pictures and said I would still like to do business with them in the future blah blah blah and they ended up sending me the same club but brand new. If I were to tell him that company sucks and I'm going to tattle tale to the internet about it, I wouldn't get helped at all.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #25 of 29 Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Do the Recon side marker lights plug in now or do you have to cut the factory wiring to install them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode