No loaner for warranty work? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
No loaner for warranty work?

I've got a 2012 jku I bought almost exactly a year ago today. The manual transmission in it is starting to make some noises, so I brought it into my closest dealership. First of all, I made an appointment to have it looked at, but of course I needed to leave it there until they have time to look at it ( what the fuck is the point of the appointment then?). Anyway I asked the lady at the desk how a loaner vehicle would work. Do they have to confirm that there's a problem before giving me a loaner? The answer is "Chrysler does not give loaner vehicles at all." Why I thought the answer would be any different, I don't know.

So Chrysler builds something, and then one year later when shit starts breaking, they want me to pay for a rental while they take their sweet ass time working on it, even though the vehicle is under warranty. Am I the only one that thinks this is fucked up?

The dealer I went to us not the one I bought it at though. If I got to the one where I bought it (and my last one) think I'll have better luck? They gave me a loaner when I was waiting on delivery of this one because I traded in my old one. Granted that was when I was buying one, not having it worked on. The reason I didn't go there to begin with is it's an hour and a half away.

I'm in ATL so if anyone knows of a friendly dealer, please let me know. Not sure if anything would be different at another dealer since its supposedly a Chrysler policy, but who knows.

This may sound like a dumb thing to be bitching about but I really don't think I should have to pay for a rental out of pocket if the vehicle is under warranty, and I have to have something to drive.

Should have just kept my 09. I'd almost be done paying for it by now.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Last edited by pizzaman; 12-31-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Im yet to find a dealer anywhere, from any of the big three, that give out a loaner for warranty work. The exception was the Ford dealer. Since I had bought my '04 SVT Cobra new, I rated a loaner at any dealership, as part of the SVT program.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All the warranty work I've had so far I've been told the particular repair didn't cover rental. But all mine so far have been one day fixes.

I kind of expected if it was a drawn out thing that it would be supplied.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 12-31-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Didn't buy a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc..you bought a lowly domestic vehicle. Don't expect anything but the minimum!

I got a loaner once from Jeep however. The dealership paid for it because they screwed up a repair and I complained enough. But in general, you're on your own.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the responses. I cant believe that's their policy. For the price we're paying for these damn things these days, I could almost be driving a BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

I love my Jeep but hate Chrysler. I'm going to wait until my pentastar craps out (should only have another 1000 miles or so to go until the code throws, sounds like a fucking sewing machine) and let them fix both at the same time.

Cock suckers.

post #6 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Wheeler

If you have the extended warranty thing you do get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and if there are spelling errors, blame my iPhone...not my laziness.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
For the price we're paying for these damn things these days, I could almost be driving a BMW/Audi/Mercedes.
correction... you could. a fully spec'd out rubicon unlimited with a mw3 package would cost more than some of the germans.

Last edited by damon.l; 12-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
So Chrysler builds something, and then one year later when shit starts breaking, they want me to pay for a rental while they take their sweet ass time working on it, even though the vehicle is under warranty. Am I the only one that thinks this is fucked up?
I found that out back in 2001 when my six-month-old TJ needed a new transmission. Guess what was on national backorder? I had to bum rides for almost a month.

Skip ahead a decade, and Chrysler still doesn't include rentals as part of a Jeep's normal warranty/service plan. Nice.

One of the Jeep dealers in the area also has their own car rental service. They have a deal, where for $135, you get three years of no-charge rentals anytime you drop your Jeep off for service/repair. They're also the only local Jeep dealership that's cool about doing warranty work on JK's that are lifted and go off-road.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Wheeler

Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep do not require the dealers to provide loaners. A good dealer that is into customer service might do it to keep happy customers. Most dealers that provide loaners might not have enough loaners to lend. I know my warrenty only covers rental for 5 days at a time also.

Mike Hooper

2013 JKR 2.5" TF Coils, Fox shocks and stab.
35" ProComp Extreme MT/ProComp 7089
LOD Stubby front/JCR Crusader Tire Carrier
ACE sliders, EVO ProTec skids
RK HD tie rod and Front adj. TB
Smitty 8000# winch

1971 CJ-6
post #10 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If any dealer would do it for you it would be Ed Voyles in Marietta. I can't say that they will do a loaner but they are very service oriented.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #11 of 19 Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
If any dealer would do it for you it would be Ed Voyles in Marietta. I can't say that they will do a loaner but they are very service oriented.
thanks for the info! i almost went there but i live on the eastside of atl so i ventured south. maybe ill give them a call.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock God

IIRC the contract that you sign when buying the jeep states there is no loaner unless u were to get an extended warranty.

My Jeep was down for a month and knowing that i signed that piece of paper. I just walked out and left the jeep behind till it was fix.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #13 of 19 Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Rock God

x2 ^^^

Extended warranty = loaner vehicle.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Rock God

When I had warranty work done, my dealer said to call Chrysler and complain and tell them it was my only vehicle and I had kids, and they covered a rental.

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #15 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Rock God

My dealership has a courtesy shuttle. I had my Jeep in for multiple half day affairs. They said if they couldn't get it figured out they'd hook up a rental. I think generally, if things are taking an unreasonable amount of time, a rental wouldn't be too hard to get.

I usually keep my expectations very low for dealerships and am pleasantly surprised if I get decent customer service and no BS.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

Ford did the samething to me...I was stranded with my wifes stang. They wouldn't give me a loaner because I didn't have a ext warranty...even though the issue was still under the three year thirtysix thou warranty. I fought with them on the phone for half an hour....thd dealership felt bad because even though we didn't buy it there I was a past customer and even worked for a ford dealership for six years.

Sent with Tapatalk2 while watching chicks get naked.

2012 Wrangler Unlimted Sahara SOLD
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
2in lift,KDSS, 285/70/17 Terragrapplers.
2010 Mustang GT
5spd, glass roof..loaded
SLP Loudmouth axle backs and Roush CAI..wifeys ride.

Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

For those who don't like extended warranties I would recommend a alternative transportation plan only $200 and you get a loaner even for a oil change. Worth every penny.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
post #18 of 19 Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

The dealer group we bought our Jeeps from gives courtesy loaners for anything short of oil changes.

Disappointing that no automaker really gives loaners for warranty/repair work, but it is certainly an enticement for those on the fence about the extended warranty.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I've got a 2012 jku I bought almost exactly a year ago today. The manual transmission in it is starting to make some noises, so I brought it into my closest dealership. First of all, I made an appointment to have it looked at, but of course I needed to leave it there until they have time to look at it ( what the fuck is the point of the appointment then?). Anyway I asked the lady at the desk how a loaner vehicle would work. Do they have to confirm that there's a problem before giving me a loaner? The answer is "Chrysler does not give loaner vehicles at all." Why I thought the answer would be any different, I don't know.

The dealer I went to us not the one I bought it at though. If I got to the one where I bought it (and my last one) think I'll have better luck? They gave me a loaner when I was waiting on delivery of this one because I traded in my old one. Granted that was when I was buying one, not having it worked on. The reason I didn't go there to begin with is it's an hour and a half away.

I'm in ATL so if anyone knows of a friendly dealer, please let me know. Not sure if anything would be different at another dealer since its supposedly a Chrysler policy, but who knows.

This may sound like a dumb thing to be bitching about but I really don't think I should have to pay for a rental out of pocket if the vehicle is under warranty, and I have to have something to drive.

Should have just kept my 09. I'd almost be done paying for it by now.
Think logically about it now. How many repair orders come in every day and how many possible warranty work claims come in? I hate that you drop it off and wait...I did that for something they could've took 1min to look at and tell me if it was covered or not. Then they tried to charge me $80 for the check up and I went off on them and walked out with the keys. the dealership!

If they had loaner cars for every problem they'd be loaning out more cars per day than selling per month or year hahaha I know some dealers offer loaner cars to people who might have a long term warranty problem, but just to drop your vehicle off and get checked out...no way. I don't think you can expect a loaner if it's just getting checked. If you thought that, then you're off in LALA land...no offence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode