Lewiston Idaho jeep Dealer rip offs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Lewiston Idaho jeep Dealer rip offs

So, I working out of town. "motel life" no place to work on Jeep.
driving down the road started running very rough engine light comes on.
Not knowing the area I call the local Jeep dealer.
$400 to reflash computer and put in new plugs. REALLY!
SO If you are in Lewiston Idaho DO NOT I repeat DO NOT go to the local jeep dealer for anything other than directions to an honest mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Rock God

Did you work this out in $/hr ?

That's probably not a bad price for dealership pricing.

Hell, just to have my computer flashed to stock so I could run my tuner it was $100.
It took them 20 mins to flash, but charge a minimum of 1hr work. It's just the way it is, and that's with pretty much any shop.

So for you to get flashed, and then have 6? plugs replaced is probably close to billable at 4 hours.

Seems legit to me.

Be lucky the dealerships aren't my company. I get billed at $250/hr to the customer.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Rock God

I think he's got a legitimate gripe. The reflash doesn't take long, but as you mentioned, most dealers do charge the one hour minimum (dealer here charges $85 for PMC flash). However, the plugs aren't that big of a deal. One side is easy, other side is a bit more of a pain, but even a newb can do it in two hours. A dealership or shop will do it in half that time or less. So unless they counted the time for the engine to cool in their billable hours, I think the op got ripped.

I don't have a FSM, but curious what the shop time is listed at for changing plugs on the 3.8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!

For haveing the computer reflashed and plugs put in it is a rip off. BUT.... The dealership has to diagnose the problem as well, many things can cause the jeep to run rough. If that $400 included, diagnosis, parts, labor, shop fee, etc. it really isnt that bad, not a great deal at all, but not horrible.

labor rates in my area run $110-125hr at the local mechanics and $140-160hr dealership.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Rock God

The dealer I work at (GM franchise) charges an hour for a reflash and a 6 cylinder tune will run another hour labor. 4 cylinder tune is .8 hrs and an 8 cylinder tune is 1.2 hrs. If wires are replaced there is a charge for that as well, but most of our line use coil on plug now so I don't do a lot of billable wire replacements. We run at 125.00 per hour.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Snk, being at a GM dealer you may not have had the pleasure of putting plugs in a hyundai v6. Intake has to come off... Same for Kia and some toyotas and fords. Nissans usually give big enough windows in the intake to get plugs out.

If all they charge is 1.2 for V8 tune I have a 96 impala SS LT1 that needs plugs and wires. Side note here: LT1 wire labor rate is right at 3 hours. Did one and the guy was an ass and bet $100 he could do job in 45 minutes in parking lot... Both boss and I took bet.... He lost badly.

Not busting yours but the days of a flat fee tune up are long gone, If you're a tech you may want to check on their labor times.

For the OP.. The dealer has upwards of $10,000 in the hard and software for the scanner they hooked to your Jeep, and, unless things have changed since I was a dealer tech, Chrysler REQUIRES them to buy their scanner and software at whatever price chrysler charges.
Then there's the dollar outlay for training techs to use said tools correctly, you have to know what you're looking for.

This isn't meant to bash OP either... A big problem for the car care industry is consumer education, much less shitty techs and shops ripping folks off.

Had a podiatrist tell me one day he doesn't envy my job. I asked why and he told me point blank " I only have to learn one brand with 2 models while you have to learn hundreds".

Dammit man I wrote a novel

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
Snk, being at a GM dealer you may not have had the pleasure of putting plugs in a hyundai v6. Intake has to come off... Same for Kia and some toyotas and fords. Nissans usually give big enough windows in the intake to get plugs out.

If all they charge is 1.2 for V8 tune I have a 96 impala SS LT1 that needs plugs and wires. Side note here: LT1 wire labor rate is right at 3 hours. Did one and the guy was an ass and bet $100 he could do job in 45 minutes in parking lot... Both boss and I took bet.... He lost badly.

Not busting yours but the days of a flat fee tune up are long gone, If you're a tech you may want to check on their labor times.

For the OP.. The dealer has upwards of $10,000 in the hard and software for the scanner they hooked to your Jeep, and, unless things have changed since I was a dealer tech, Chrysler REQUIRES them to buy their scanner and software at whatever price chrysler charges.
Then there's the dollar outlay for training techs to use said tools correctly, you have to know what you're looking for.

This isn't meant to bash OP either... A big problem for the car care industry is consumer education, much less shitty techs and shops ripping folks off.

Had a podiatrist tell me one day he doesn't envy my job. I asked why and he told me point blank " I only have to learn one brand with 2 models while you have to learn hundreds".

Dammit man I wrote a novel
Those labor times were for a standard tune. Obviously if the intake has to come off or, in the case of full size vans, the dog house has to come out it costs more. As for the LT1, having owned a Camaro with that engine, I can tell you from experience that doing the plugs in the Impala are a walk in the park compared to the LT1 powered F-bodies.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Rock God

book time is only 1.1 hours for 3.8 plugs...
post #9 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Sometimes rather do tune on LT1 F body than same on 3.8 F body... those things suck

Snk: Ever have the pleasure of changing an alternator on a W body (lumina) with the "Twin Dual Cam" V6?

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Wheeler

Sorry to hear that. If you ever get stuck in the Lewiston area, Looper Automotive has treated me really fair and did great work.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Stealerships. I hate Jeep dealers in general.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode