To all the vendors out there - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

EDIT:To all the MANUFACTURERS out there

We need more and larger pictures of the stuff you're selling and could you include the measurements. And while were at it how about mentioning if we have to drill an extra hole or trim a little here or there. If I'm paying $600 for a bumper I want all the info I can get without actually seeing it in person. As for the details of having to trim, cut, or drill I may not be comfortable with doing some of these things to my brand new Jeep what if I were to trade it in for a different one down the line somewhere.

Please consider these suggested improvements to your websites and catalogs.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
disconnected

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BIGTom; 11-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So what product are we speaking of? Are you referring to a manufacturers website or a resellers?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

Most manufactures are EXTREMELY available to get you the info you need. You only need to ask in the forum it even call.

Sent from the dark side of the moon

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Go call the manufacturer and ask them, that's not he vendors job, its fucking yours! Be an educated consumer, not a whiney bitch waiting for others to do things for you!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hmm... Just recieved my Evo Nolimits disconnect. There is a spring on the bom (and in the box) that the instructions don't mention. I searched their info and all the install links I found..No mention of what it is. (I think its a replacement for the stock return spring). I emailed them asking for clarification and they were kind enough to email a copy of the instructions which A) I told them I had, and b) also do not mention the spring. No help there.

So maybe if the company sends you stuff, they could send you some info, or give a picture on how it is actually supposed to fit up.
Not a big issue with this part as it's going to be installed by noon, but sometimes asking for clarification and getting a useless response can be fucking aggravating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #6 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTom View Post
We need more and larger pictures of the stuff you're selling and could you include the measurements. And while were at it how about mentioning if we have to drill an extra hole or trim a little here or there. If I'm paying $600 for a bumper I want all the info I can get without actually seeing it in person. As for the details of having to trim, cut, or drill I may not be comfortable with doing some of these things to my brand new Jeep what if I were to trade it in for a different one down the line somewhere.

Please consider these suggested improvements to your websites and catalogs.
Agreed. The problem is most of the retailers only have information that is provided from the manufacturers and from certain ones, frankly the information sucks. Most of the major retailers and manufacturers have been working in collaboration over the last several years to provide an industry standard in regards to providing information.

Since I've been working on the retail side of the industry, I've spent countless time developing relationships with manufacturers and bringing on new product lines. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told over the last couple of years when I've asked for data "Well, it's on our website, just copy that". Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the problem is I don't have time to go and copy and paste part numbers, product descriptions and click and save all the product images and then have to go back and sort all these images and throw them on a website. It's just not feasible when there are 1500 products that they offer and I've got to deal with 250+ other manufacturers as well. If Joe's Jeep, Inc doesn't have good data, they're not going onto our new site that's launching at the beginning of the year, no matter how much I like their stuff. Example: One of our top sellers... As of right now will NOT be on our new site because I can't get any data outside them telling me to get pics and data off their site. I simply don't have the man-power to have someone dedicated to one line that will literally take six months to load their offerings and all the options that go along with it.

Things are getting better though and more and more manufacturers are actually putting effort into offering decent data for their stuff. As of right now, I'm either relying on info that is provided to me or my own experience in handling the product and/or installing it. I try to absorb as much as I can and spend a heck of a lot of time even at home researching, but a retailer will never know everything about the lines they carry. Considering one line I offer has over 15K part numbers, it's just impossible.

Manufacturers have to do a better job of providing information to retailers. Retailers need to do a better job of offering that information if it is available. We also need to tell the manufacturers, "Hey, you're data sucks" if it's not up to par and most don't do that.

So bottom line. I agree with the op. Hopefully it will get better though!
post #7 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

You want through installation instructions for several hundred dollar parts?! Get outta here!

I've certainly had my fun with expensive parts with shitty instructions or installation procedures. I've even tried to offer productive suggestions, that seemed to fall on deaf ears...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Rock God

Pfft, why mess with the status quo?

I've written new instructions and shot pictures to send to manufacturers. Some have gotten used. Some are just the same. Let's not forget how many come without instructions as well. I mean, seriously?
post #9 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

I agree with Tom. Today's sales model is for manufacturers to sell direct or through resellers that often never even open the package to see what's inside. Since installs are usually done over the weekend when manufacturers aren't available to provide support, good instructions are essential.

On top of this I believe there's a liability risk for the manufacturer that fails to provide adequate installation instructions. If the instructions are not adequate for a person of average knowledge and experience, the manufacturer might be liable for any damage caused to the product itself, vehicle to which it is installed and persons injured as a result of improper installation.

One of the great things about being on JKO is the huge number of write-ups and reports on product installations. The only problem is finding them and separating the good from the bad.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #10 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Go call the manufacturer and ask them, that's not he vendors job, its fucking yours! Be an educated consumer, not a whiney bitch waiting for others to do things for you!
I agree here 100%. bunch of fucking pussies. this thread should be dedicated towards the jersey crew.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Last edited by pluke the 2; 11-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2011JK View Post
youre an asshole. why dont you settle the fuck down, have some respect. apparently bc of other reactions to this thread, he's not the only one with an issue. so happy to hear all your products in all of your life are always so perfect.

it IS the vendor's job to properly promote the product they are raping us for paying for. the point youre missing is that he's trying to be an educated consumer before purchasing.

i hope your life gets better in 2013 so that you dont have to react like that to others
go cry Stephanie

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #12 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Granite Guru

deleting my posts. its so fuckin pointless to even be on this forum anymore with all the fuckin unecessary ignorance. you have no life, except to sit around and shit on other people. its disgusting, really.

Jersey
Crew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerdog View Post
Steph, you are the spicy mustard that binds this sausage fest together.
"You cant stop me, you can only try and contain me.."
post #13 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Rock God

I lawled at you, stephanie....

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #14 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Rock God

It would be nice if the vendors and the manufacturing company would have links to the installation instructions on their web sites, very few companies do. I for one like to read the installation instructions several times before I commit to purchasing a product. I've found that sometimes calling the manufacturer rather then the vendor can get you the answers you're looking for.

Don Broadbent
BMJA President

post #15 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
It would be nice if the vendors and the manufacturing company would have links to the installation instructions on their web sites, very few companies do. I for one like to read the installation instructions several times before I commit to purchasing a product. I've found that sometimes calling the manufacturer rather then the vendor can get you the answers you're looking for.

Don Broadbent
BMJA President
finally... a reasonable response, and good idea.

don, thanks for teachin these assholes how to act.

Jersey
Crew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerdog View Post
Steph, you are the spicy mustard that binds this sausage fest together.
"You cant stop me, you can only try and contain me.."
post #16 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
So what product are we speaking of? Are you referring to a manufacturers website or a resellers?
I'll get some examples together this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBucko View Post
Most manufactures are EXTREMELY available to get you the info you need. You only need to ask in the forum it even call.
Sent from the dark side of the moon
This is probably true I've never called a manufacturer or vendor for more info and didn't want to bother them for a product I'm only considering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
You're half right I should be directing this at the MANUFACTURER of the products more than the vendors but at the same time the vendors are getting paid for their services too so if expressing my desire for them to improve those services is being a whiny bitch then so be it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
Agreed. The problem is most of the retailers only have information that is provided from the manufacturers and from certain ones, frankly the information sucks. Most of the major retailers and manufacturers have been working in collaboration over the last several years to provide an industry standard in regards to providing information.

Since I've been working on the retail side of the industry, I've spent countless time developing relationships with manufacturers and bringing on new product lines. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been told over the last couple of years when I've asked for data "Well, it's on our website, just copy that". Well, that's all fine and dandy, but the problem is I don't have time to go and copy and paste part numbers, product descriptions and click and save all the product images and then have to go back and sort all these images and throw them on a website. It's just not feasible when there are 1500 products that they offer and I've got to deal with 250+ other manufacturers as well. If Joe's Jeep, Inc doesn't have good data, they're not going onto our new site that's launching at the beginning of the year, no matter how much I like their stuff. Example: One of our top sellers... As of right now will NOT be on our new site because I can't get any data outside them telling me to get pics and data off their site. I simply don't have the man-power to have someone dedicated to one line that will literally take six months to load their offerings and all the options that go along with it.

Things are getting better though and more and more manufacturers are actually putting effort into offering decent data for their stuff. As of right now, I'm either relying on info that is provided to me or my own experience in handling the product and/or installing it. I try to absorb as much as I can and spend a heck of a lot of time even at home researching, but a retailer will never know everything about the lines they carry. Considering one line I offer has over 15K part numbers, it's just impossible.

Manufacturers have to do a better job of providing information to retailers. Retailers need to do a better job of offering that information if it is available. We also need to tell the manufacturers, "Hey, you're data sucks" if it's not up to par and most don't do that.

So bottom line. I agree with the op. Hopefully it will get better though!
Thanks for giving me a glimpse of your side of the problem. I'll be checking out you're site. It would be nice to see you mention the manufacturers that you deleted for lack of info but I don't know that you want to burn those bridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
I agree here 100%. bunch of fucking pussies. this thread should be dedicated towards the jersey crew.
So the Jersey Crew are a bunch of pussies but you belong to the Cali Crew which was formed and designed after the model we set forth. I am sure your opinion matters to someone just not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2011JK View Post
deleting my posts. its so fuckin pointless to even be on this forum anymore with all the fuckin unecessary ignorance. you have no life, except to sit around and shit on other people. its disgusting, really.
Steph it's all good the ignorance displayed here regularly is throughout all of society. It's easier here to display their ignorance because the societal veil of politeness is easily lifted. In you're regular life you won't see it as much a) because people are going to be polite at first and b) because you'll sorround yourself with people that aren't ignorant naturally(that gut feeling). Stay on the forum and ignore the pluke's of the world. I appreciate the defense and I thank you.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
disconnected

post #17 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
wow...i thought you were banned...

did bsacks cousin stand you up again?

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #18 of 19 Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if pluke is this retarded in person?

POISON SPYDER ROCK KRAWLER POLY RCV YUKON AEV TATTON MBRP TERAFLEX BILSTEIN JKS RAMSEY ROCK HARD WURX NEMESIS SPOD RIGID
post #19 of 19 Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

I tend to agree with the OP and others, you can never have too much information. I'm selling on-line, to me it's all about presentation as both a business owner and customer, I buy stuff on-line too.

Personally, I take what I can get from my suppliers and do my very best to standardize the data, properly categorized it and basically find as much info as I can. It's a very manual process and as an ex. computer programmer I've simple not found a good way to automate the actual product entry. I do have scripts running for some lines to update pricing and inventory but have manually entered over 14,000 products into www.eadoffroad.com.

My goal is to add 30 new products a day with as much information as I can find. That sometimes means looking in catalogs, web sites install PDFs. It is very time consuming but I believe worth the time to provide a better customer experience.

Working on OR-Fab today, almost got my 30 in http://www.eadoffroad.com/index.php?...dule/lastadded

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: My biggest pet peeve is when I'm entering a product and the only available image is of the wrong Jeep. It's amazing to me how many manufactures (not going to name any), use TJ pictures for YJ products. Ummm, hello, those guys like their funky square headlights and kinda notice the round ones

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode