Suggestions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Suggestions?

I opened my tailgate with 2,800 miles on the Jeep a couple of weeks ago. This is what I saw.

The dealership tire cover (with stock wheel and tire on carrier) has been wearing away the silver bumper piece on the rear bumper. I know many people are not a big fan of the silver bumper add ons, but, I like them.

So, I call them and they said they would send me $35 for my trouble because thats what they would pay to fix it???!!!??? I live 2 hours from the dealership so driving there is not an option just to have them hire a used car detailer fill the holes and spot paint the piece. He made it clear that they will not replace the bumper piece.

So, to sum it up. Dealer spare tire cover wears away at part of my bumper. They offer me $35 with no chance of replacing the part. Ive been to the local Jeep dealership here in town and 2 auto body shops. Each one of them have told me spot painting that piece will only work/look nice temporarily. Since it was the dealers tire cover that did the damage the local Jeep dealer will not warranty it either. Any suggestions?

2008 Rescue Green Unlimited Sahara
TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Take the $35 bucks and put it in a Piggy bank for your new METAL rear bumper fund!

www.jeepasylum.com
post #3 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

<----- Check my location. Iowa. Metal bumper not really a necessity for corn crawling and pig bumping around here. Oddly, I like the look of my bumpers and would like to keep them for the time being.

TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

keep an eye out there are free stock bumpers on here all the time

www.jeepasylum.com
post #5 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Will do, and thanks Dr.Dirty for the suggestion. I guess I am just pizzed that the dealership that I bought from is such a ashbag. After you buy they give you this cheesy I.O.U. that says "Nothing but GREAT service". Even after having the body shops say it is a bad idea to spot paint that piece the dealership still wont budge.

I hope I dont have any real problems that I would have to rely on them for.

By the way, the dealership is Kimberly Chrysler in Davenport, IA. as a FYI.

TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
post #6 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

there are a tons of worthless dealerships out there

hell my salesman tried to tell me that the electric lockers in my rubi were the Power door locks what a dumbass

i deal with prozack on here his delaership is in my home town in CO

hell PM him he could probably get you a price for that part from chrysler im pretty sure it is just double sided taped on

www.jeepasylum.com
post #7 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

Hell I'll try to beat it. Let me check the shed. I built a Sahara last year for a show and I think I may still have the old bumper. If its there I'll shoot ya a PM and shipper out to ya.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd go to your local paint & body supply store, purchase a pint of that color, primer, epoxy clear, sanding material, etc, tape it all off, wet sand, prime, paint, clear coat and if you mix the paint just right you can get away with using "PreVal Bottles" without having to have a compressor, etc. I could make that look factory if you were local. For a small bumper donation...of ....lets say...1 million american dollars?

Ok I'd do it for free, but you could do this no problem, take their $35 bucks and go by a ribeye, slap it on some mesquite, have a and tackle this job the next morning
post #9 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Take the $35 bucks, go to Pep Boys and buy an $8.99 spray can of bedliner or two and fix your problem.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Take the $35 bucks, go to Pep Boys and buy an $8.99 spray can of bedliner or two and fix your problem.

post #11 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I just shot a Dorito out of my nose.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Rock God

I hope you don't have a problem, ever

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #13 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulewhisperer View Post
Will do, and thanks Dr.Dirty for the suggestion. I guess I am just pizzed that the dealership that I bought from is such a ashbag. After you buy they give you this cheesy I.O.U. that says "Nothing but GREAT service". Even after having the body shops say it is a bad idea to spot paint that piece the dealership still wont budge.

I hope I dont have any real problems that I would have to rely on them for.

By the way, the dealership is Kimberly Chrysler in Davenport, IA. as a FYI.
I have one that was a take off of a new Sahara. PM me with addy if you want me to ship it out to ya.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

PROZACK to the rescue

www.jeepasylum.com
post #15 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Rock God

By any chance did the tire cover have the dealers name on it? Ironic if it did. I am suprised that they didn't say that the tire cover was a mod and that the warranty doesn't cover mods.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
By any chance did the tire cover have the dealers name on it? Ironic if it did. I am suprised that they didn't say that the tire cover was a mod and that the warranty doesn't cover mods.
Haha, yes it did. I am going to site in my shotgun for deer season with it in November so the tire cover is going to survive the summer.

TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
post #17 of 21 Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

Nice job Zack

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited
post #18 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 AM
wcr
Wheeler

dont kno if you have this sorted out yet but you said that you lived just outside of cedar rapids in some other thread i believe. and you should try going to hartwig here in iowa city where i got the jeep and he's been nothing but great about everything

post #19 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZack View Post
I have one that was a take off of a new Sahara. PM me with addy if you want me to ship it out to ya.

You the man! Feel free to ship another one to me. I want one and paint it gloss black. kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulewhisperer View Post
<----- Check my location. Iowa. Metal bumper not really a necessity for corn crawling and pig bumping around here. Oddly, I like the look of my bumpers and would like to keep them for the time being.
Now thats funny as hell!!!!!! Pig Bumping has a totally different meaning over here in Florida. Corn Crawling...well... i have nothing for it.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

After your first wheeling trip scratch it wont matter anyway.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I agree with the rest of the guys that it is an easy DIY fix but I wouldn't just leave it alone with the dealer.

Your not going to drive 4 hours round trip to have them correct this but I would send an e-mail/letter to the Service Manager, copy the Regional Service Manager and the dealer GM that your recent Jeep purchase would be the last time they see any business from you and how unhelpful they were over a simple concern. Also that you shared your experience with a few thousand Jeep enthusiasts over the internet.

Maybe they should re-evaluate their customer service policy for new vehicle owners. And I hope you took their billboard off the back of your Jeep!!

Last edited by Moose512; 05-02-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode