Rustys Flow Daddy Headers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rustys Flow Daddy Headers

Are garbage.

Not only are they garbage but so is their warranty.

I bought a set for $250 thinking how can you F up a set of cheap stainless headers. Well you can. 6 months later my rig sounded like a russian tank cruising the streets as it started leaking exhaust. I found both mounting flanges craked at the welds.

So I call Rustys to exersize my warranty on them. I was told by the girl who answered the phone to send in a picture of the damage and they will take care of it.

2 days go by no response to the e mail So I called. She said Rusty would get to it and e mail me back. 3 days later I get an a e mail saying they never seen one break like that and it was possible my exhaust hangers were not supporting my exhaust. BS. They are all in place. A good quality header will be able to support the weight of the exhaust system.

Anyways, now he wants me to box them up (Gee you mean I have to spend more of my money on this junk?) And send them over. That is $40 in shipping and about 2 weeks of down time to get them there and back. I cant do that on my daily driver.

Considering other companies have sent over warranty parts based on photos, I am a bit surprised that they actually want the old ones back.

Honestly if they just said sorry we will send you a new set, like most other companies would have, I would be a happy customer. Teraflex sent me a entire set of control arms for a warranty and did not want me to ship back 100 lbs of old defective arms. Smittybilt sent me a $1000 bumper no questions asked and never wanted me to ship back the old one. RK sent me an entire tie rod over a bad end free of charge no questions asked.

Good customer service will keep me buying parts from your. But when you give someone a hard time about a simple warranty, well it winds up here with pictures of the crap product.

Save yourself the trouble and do not buy these as IMO they are junk. 6 months of use and now I have to spend more time and money to get it fixed. Not a happy camper.

Of course if Rusty would have just sent me a new header, you would not be reading this thread, You would be reading how awesome they were and I will probably buy another part from them.

IMG_0597 by Ayedrian, on Flickr

IMG_0596 by Ayedrian, on Flickr

IMG_0599 by Ayedrian, on Flickr

IMG_0594 by Ayedrian, on Flickr

As it sits now I stuffed a couple of donuts in it just so I can drive on it until I figure out who is going to get my next purchase on an exhaust system. It surely wont be any more of this crap from Flow Daddy/Rustys. Not even a entire year old and they fell apart.

Last edited by bubba_zenetti; 09-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Granite Guru

There's a reason of why rusty was basically voted off the XJ island many years ago. I remember him selling adj. control arms, and charging extra for the jam nuts. Or telling me to buy yj spring bushings and cut them down so I could have new control arm bushings.

Good times!
post #3 of 26 Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Good to know what to look for. I just installed mine. I haven't been impressed with the JBA's (previously on my jeep) or my buddies Gibson's. They've all cracked.

Maybe this engine just doesn't have a solution to this issue?

Then again, how many people run headers with no problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
Good to know what to look for. I just installed mine. I haven't been impressed with the JBA's (previously on my jeep) or my buddies Gibson's. They've all cracked.

Maybe this engine just doesn't have a solution to this issue?

Then again, how many people run headers with no problems?
No its just cheap manufacturing.

Gibson has a Lifetime warranty. Rusty has shit customer service and a shit warranty.

I had a set of stainless headers on a bike that held up a 25lb turbocharger for 7 years. It never cracked. Its all in how you put it together and what you make it out of. The stainless steel on these is so damn thin its a wonder they dont melt. Take a good look at what your OEM cats are made of thickness wise and take a look at the Flowmommas.

As far as OEMs cracking, any cast iron manifold subjected to sudden cooling (hot/hits puddle) will crack. This is not the only vehicle I have owned that had a cracked exhaust manifold at one time or another.
post #5 of 26 Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Rock God

I think Gibson only warrants for the original buyer. My buddy bought his Jeep used with them installed. Gibson wouldn't warranty them.

Have you had these flowdaddy's wet while hot at any point to cause a crack?
post #6 of 26 Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
I think Gibson only warrants for the original buyer. My buddy bought his Jeep used with them installed. Gibson wouldn't warranty them.

Have you had these flowdaddy's wet while hot at any point to cause a crack?
Nope. The passenger side started to leak about 2 months into being installed. I kept tightening the flange mount as it kept getting loose. The reason why it was getting loose is it cracked at the weld and shoved itself into the cat. The drivers side followed shortly after. By month 5 they sounded pretty bad.

After getting my Gibsons in the mail last week I found this on the passenger side:

Fucking split right at the welds.

I was not going to waste $40 to ship them back to that cock nozzle Rusty so I can have another set ruin my cats.

I would get your money back before you mount those pieces of shit. Spend the extra $150 and get a set of quality headers. I been a wrench for some 34 years now and I can tell you that the Gibsons will last you a while. Fuck I would put OEM manifolds on it before I stick another set of Flowfailures on any of my vehicles ever again.

You know it would have probably been an OK deal if the dipshit who sold them to me (Yeah and Ill bet he make them too even though he says he does not. Coincidence that there is no contact info for FlowDaddy on thier website and the registrant of Flowdaddy.com is also Rustys Off Road?) would have just said " Sorry for the inconvenience, here is another set". Instead I got a bunch of BS of how it was probably my exhaust hangers not being in place, blah blah blah. Fuck you Rusty. Your customer service stinks. So does your products.

Not only am I out $250 but I now have to buy a new set of cats for my rig since the leaking and pieces of flange that dropped into the cats and melted damaged them.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Well up until yesterday I had no experience with Rusty's products. I was helping a buddy install some c-gussets, lower control arm skids and new ball joints. He has a Rusty's 3.25" lift kit that's only 1 year old. The shocks are totally dead and every control arm joint is completely broken. The guy doesn't even wheel very hard. Bottom line is the parts are crap. He said he already replaced all of the control arm joins once and he had to pay to replace the broken garbage parts..

I forced him to let me install some spare stock control arms just so he could drive the jeep home until we can help him figure out what to do.

Rusty's shit sucks ass and nobody should even consider buying anything from them. They should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such crap.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i'll only say this as an observation....

you've had to return and entire set of control arms, which were replaced, no questions asked. Smittybuilt, replaced a bumper, no questions asked.

either you have the worst luck, or you have one hell of a second hand parts counter going on. if Rusty screws you on those headers, then he's loosing business from me. yea, i've been relatively problem free. i only had to retighten the flange bolts on mine. i've had no other problem and have been otherwise satisfied.

the "lifetime warranty" is sorry. no documentation came in my box explaining the warranty or any limitations. i figured it was just an early edition goof or something. sorry for your troubles. i'm looking forward to your posts in other threads on how teraflex and smitty are complete shit also. i mean. its its shit, its shit, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b1pig; 10-02-2012 at 05:23 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post

you've had to return and entire set of control arms, which were replaced, no questions asked. Smittybuilt, replaced a bumper, no questions asked.
If you're referring to my comment on Josh's control arms then no, he did not return the control arms back for a free replacement set, he was shipped the Rusty's wanna be version of Johnny Joint ends to replace the garbage ones that were shot on his. He had to pay for them too. Now just mere months later they are shot again. Tightened to spec, lubed as required, just shitty parts from a shitty manufacturer.

I will most likely order a new 4" Currie lift with Johnny Joint control arms for him so he can get back out there and wheel. Poor guy has probably the worst riding rig I've been in short of old stiff spring CJ's.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Rock God

No, in another flowdaddy thread he stated how he has had great customer service when warrantying other products. (the control arms and bumper)

I too thought he either has some really shitty luck, or something fishy is going on. But I didn't say anything because I don't think the flowdaddy header failures as shown fit that bill. Who knows though, since he's the only one I've seen complain about the headers thus far.

With his pics though, and my experiences with other headers, I'll just go back to stock if these ones fail. They are cheaper to replace, and not all that difficult anyhow.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Rock God

And I must comment on the part about "kept tightening the flange mount" bit. That may have been a contributing factor. Rusty now supplies locking flange nuts for the bolts. Were yours locking? I also used a lock washer with mine. If they start working loose, I'll get some real locking nuts designed for exhausts. Continually retightening starts to bend the flanges (find the pics of the bent to hell JBA's I had) and stresses them enormously. The flowdaddy's might be a bit more brittle and can't take the stress as well as the JBA's.

With proper locking nuts though that shouldn't be an issue with them loosening.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

either you have the worst luck, or you have one hell of a second hand parts counter going on. if Rusty screws you on those headers, then he's loosing business from me. yea, i've been relatively problem free. i only had to retighten the flange bolts on mine. i've had no other problem and have been otherwise satisfied.

the "lifetime warranty" is sorry. no documentation came in my box explaining the warranty or any limitations. i figured it was just an early edition goof or something. sorry for your troubles. i'm looking forward to your posts in other threads on how teraflex and smitty are complete shit also. i mean. its its shit, its shit, right?
Teraflex had a small known issue and had replacement parts ready at hand. No skirting around with excuses just a box of parts on my door step 3 days later. THANK YOU TERAFLEX!

Smittybilt had a known issue on the rear tire gate that would swing open. Mine did and damaged the bumper slightly. I did not even want a whole new bumper I just wanted my shit to stay latched. A new bumper to my door in a week. THANK YOU SMITTYBILT. No skirting around with excuses. An apology and a new bumper.

No one said those products were shit. They may have been defective but at least the company stood behind the product and made sure the customer was happy. Rusty on the other and fed me some shit that it had to be my Jeeps fault. That was the first thing out of their mouths. WTF?
post #13 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Sounds pretty shitty.

Quote:
They are all in place. A good quality header will be able to support the weight of the exhaust system.
But this is not true. The amount of force an unsupported an exhaust can put on the manifolds/headers is substantial when it gets bouncing around. With the length of leverage upon the mounts and the constant change in momentum going down the road...it'll fatigue the best of materials if it's not held up properly.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Rock God

Correct. That is also why flex joints in exhausts, especially something with a header that is thin wall tube designed, is pretty advisable.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

i've never heard anything about a manifold or header being able to support anything. have you ever considered how hot exhaust gases can get? i've ran my expedition hard enough to make the cast iron manifolds GLOW... how do you think a tube will react to that kind of heat? add weight to that now glowing metal and you're likely to have deformity.

i had glazed over anything about holding up the exhaust....

M&M's... i was refering to another post. not yours.

the damage to the OP's header(s) is pretty catostrophic. i have nothing to do with rusty and my own response to the pic was "WTF" as well.... quickly followed by "I hope mine don't blow out like that".

anyone who has ever gotten shafted by a distributor or builder feels the pain the OP is feeling.

all i'll say is that if everything was as its supposed to be, then the headers should be replaced. period. they do carry a lifetime warranty. however, if the OP provided information to Rusty's which may be suspect, or indicates improper installation... (bent flanges) then they could just as easily void that warranty.

glad to know that they are now including locking hardware, as that was my only problem and the subject of an email i had with Rusty's. whether or not that had a hand in that, i have no idea...

post #16 of 26 Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
i've never heard anything about a manifold or header being able to support anything. have you ever considered how hot exhaust gases can get? i've ran my expedition hard enough to make the cast iron manifolds GLOW... how do you think a tube will react to that kind of heat? add weight to that now glowing metal and you're likely to have deformity.

i had glazed over anything about holding up the exhaust....

M&M's... i was refering to another post. not yours.

the damage to the OP's header(s) is pretty catostrophic. i have nothing to do with rusty and my own response to the pic was "WTF" as well.... quickly followed by "I hope mine don't blow out like that".

anyone who has ever gotten shafted by a distributor or builder feels the pain the OP is feeling.

all i'll say is that if everything was as its supposed to be, then the headers should be replaced. period. they do carry a lifetime warranty. however, if the OP provided information to Rusty's which may be suspect, or indicates improper installation... (bent flanges) then they could just as easily void that warranty.

glad to know that they are now including locking hardware, as that was my only problem and the subject of an email i had with Rusty's. whether or not that had a hand in that, i have no idea...
Dude, no one provided suspect info. Firstly, I have worked in both the power-sports industry and automotive industry as well as manufacturing for some 35 years. I also own a shop. This is just shit product. The headers should support the weight of the exhaust. Do you see any flex joints in our rigs OEM pipes? The stock castings are strong and work well to hold up the cats. Again I have had turbocharged vehicles that the exhaust supports a heavy turbo and they don't fall apart like that in less than 6 months thanks. FYI there is only rear hangers from the cats back on our rigs. The headers support the cats which are fairly heavy. A quality header should support the weight of the exhaust. If it cant it is going to fail.

I know how to install a set of headers thanks. I have built performance cars and bikes thank you. The product is clearly inferior. Its made of thin gauge stainless. The flanges even flex how weak can you get? Compared to the Gibsons its literally like comparing a soda can to the bumper of my rig. Seriously cheaply made.

No one said they voided the warranty, I dunno where you read that. I simply stated that they were quick to put the blame on something other than their product instead of just dealing with the situation by saying sorry here is a new set. They want me to box up the old set spend my time and more money sending it back. Is it worth it to me to spend some 10 bucks on packing material and 40 bucks to ship it to them for another set of crappy headers I paid some $200 for that are likely to cause more damage to cats when they fall apart again? Hell no. I would rather deal with a company who can actually answer a call instead of directing me to send an e mail that only takes 3 days to get answered. Lame. Nothing fishy here just pointing out how crappy customer service ends up with pictures of your crappy product here for all to see.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

two things.

i said "could' void warranty. not "did".

secondly. anyone who wants to claim anything under a warranty should refer to the warranty details. have you checked his website? it clearly says that they will not pay for shipping.....

i don't know why you'd be surprised.

any header designed for mounting a turbo SHOULD be of a heavier gauge not only due to the weight, but to the heat involved.

since i am not made of money... if/when mine do crack, i'll pay the $40 to ship them back to Rusty's to claim the warranty replacements. if/when i do, i'll put my manifolds back on. i can't afford the exta $150 much less extra $750+ for long tubes.

do what you want with it. paper weights or return em. sometimes, if you want your money's worth for something you have to dig your toes in and fight it. complete their warranty registration form and submit it. box the junk up... since they're obviously off your rig now...... and contact them again stating youre ready to return them.

just a thought, bud.
seems you're more interested in venting than getting them replaced.

from rusty's website"
Quote:
What is NOT covered under Rusty’s Limited Lifetime Warranty?
Parts that have been altered in any way
Scratches or product finishes
Accidents or wrecks
Competition Use
Labor cost, loss of use or loss of time
Freight cost; the consumer is responsible for all shipping cost
Paint and finish is not covered under the Rusty's Off Road Products warranty

post #18 of 26 Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
two things.

i said "could' void warranty. not "did".

secondly. anyone who wants to claim anything under a warranty should refer to the warranty details. have you checked his website? it clearly says that they will not pay for shipping.....

i don't know why you'd be surprised.

any header designed for mounting a turbo SHOULD be of a heavier gauge not only due to the weight, but to the heat involved.

since i am not made of money... if/when mine do crack, i'll pay the $40 to ship them back to Rusty's to claim the warranty replacements. if/when i do, i'll put my manifolds back on. i can't afford the exta $150 much less extra $750+ for long tubes.

do what you want with it. paper weights or return em. sometimes, if you want your money's worth for something you have to dig your toes in and fight it. complete their warranty registration form and submit it. box the junk up... since they're obviously off your rig now...... and contact them again stating youre ready to return them.

just a thought, bud.
seems you're more interested in venting than getting them replaced.

from rusty's website"
DUH. This is a vent thread. Why are you in here playing devils advocate? Its pretty simple, this product is shit and the company has shit customer service.

Obviously you missed the point entirely. I can care less about the replacements at this point. The point I am trying to make is a company with shitty customer service and a shitty product should be pointed out. You don't ever tell a customer anything other than sorry we will take care of it. Simply stating it was probably a problem with your rig first rather than executing a simple warranty claim is bad customer service period. Does it make me ever want to buy anything from them ever again? Fuck no. Matter of fact, it makes me want to show people what they should not buy and put on their rig. Honestly I am really not worried about anything, even the cost of the headers. They can now go in the pile of scrap metal at the back of the shop.

Anyways I am done arguing with the internet. Go buy a set of Flowfailures if you want. There is my set after a few months of use. You be the judge.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

I would be a happy customer. Teraflex sent me a entire set of control arms for a warranty and did not want me to ship back 100 lbs of old defective arms. Smittybilt sent me a $1000 bumper no questions asked and never wanted me to ship back the old one. RK sent me an entire tie rod over a bad end free of charge no questions asked.

its almost like you have two jeeps!
post #20 of 26 Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

vent thread or not. shitty customer service or not.

if you dont follow their proceedures for a return, then it doesn't count.

so. if you filled out their form, contacted them and shipped them back and they STILL don't replace them... i'll be behind you with flaming torches. otherwise, i'm still on the fence.

best of luck on your next purchase.

post #21 of 26 Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
Well up until yesterday I had no experience with Rusty's products. I was helping a buddy install some c-gussets, lower control arm skids and new ball joints. He has a Rusty's 3.25" lift kit that's only 1 year old. The shocks are totally dead and every control arm joint is completely broken. The guy doesn't even wheel very hard. Bottom line is the parts are crap. He said he already replaced all of the control arm joins once and he had to pay to replace the broken garbage parts..

I forced him to let me install some spare stock control arms just so he could drive the jeep home until we can help him figure out what to do.

Rusty's shit sucks ass and nobody should even consider buying anything from them. They should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such crap.

Yep, its no wonder this company has a shoddy reputation. Seems like every 4x4 forum has something bad to say about them.
post #22 of 26 Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Wheeler

Why do you have to ship the headers back to them? That pic seems to clearly identify a problem!
post #23 of 26 Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Granite Guru

Glad i'am going with Gibson then.

post #24 of 26 Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Rock God

My buddy had just as many cracks with his Gibsons (though the collector flange never fell off).

And an update. Rusty supplies the serrated bottom locking nuts with his headers, but they still don't stay tight. I'm going to have to buy actual quality locking fasteners to keep these damn things tight.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I know guys who are happy with Rusty's products. But my rear lower control arm bushings were junk. I guess you get what you pay for.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode