Some hate for Full Traction - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage
Some hate for Full Traction

I don't do this very often. Actually, I never bash manufacturers, I usually suck it up, but this takes the cake.

Yes, I'm an idiot who was sucked into the koolaid pool and bought a full traction lift a little over a year ago. Long story short, after a year of mild to moderate wheeling, I've had enough.

It started 2 months after I got my lift. I began to get a loud squeak from the rear, and was convinced it was my rear trackbar. After 2 months of an email war with them, accusing every other part except their joints, they sent me new trackbar heims front and year. Low and behold, both were blown out.

Next, I began to notice that after almost every wheeling trip, my steering would be off by more and more. Up to 90* off at the wheel by the last trip in May. That same trip was my first episode of DW. What I noticed, is that my trackbar was flexing significantly under steering load, and I suspected this was the cause of my sloppy steering feel that had been developing over the past few months, and possible cause of my DW.

This is where I get pissed. I called FT initially to discuss possible causes and solutions. The FIRST SUGGESTION?! Add a steering stabilizer. Well fuck me that was intelligent. After more discussion, the trackbar flex was brought up. I'm not going to name names, but the FT rep refused to watch my video saying it was impossible flex in the TB would cause any noticeable issues, and that I was wrong. So when I brought up my constant need to adjust steering, and that that may indicate constant yielding of the trackbar, and that CONSTANT yielding will eventually fatigue and weaken a material making it more prone to bending... Well, he didn't respond all too quick.

Now I have his attention. FT now wanted my trackbar back on MY DIME! To put it in their jig to prove to me nothing was wrong. Sorry but I'm not paying to have a 15lb price of metal shipped across the country. Not to mention I'm not sure how you move a rig that doesn't have a front TB for 2 weeks...

I then proceeded to show the video (you know, the one they refused to watch) to 2 other manufacturers, all who agreed that was WAY too much deflection of the trackbar.

I have since added the Teraflex TB to my setup, which has made a night and day difference in feel in the steering wheel. There is zero play, zero mushy input... Because I was so happy with the new TB and so pissed with the FT I've made a short comparison video.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND FT PRODUCTS OR SERVICE TO ANYONE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpHUv9uux0&feature=plcp

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow, that deflection is ridiculous! I'll have to check my Rock Krawler, but that 20lb 1.5" diameter hunk of solid steel probably isn't moving a whole lot

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 09-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

Glad the TF worked out for you!

As we discussed, I was having the exact same issue with my TB flexing. It was not FT, and i never tired discussing with the vendor my issues. I just simply wanted something that would work.

I also went with a TF track bar and I can also tell night and day difference. Even my wife who rarley drives my Jeep noticed a difference.

Anyway glad it worked out for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Granite Guru

I too drank the kool aid and bought their 4" ultimate kit and have had issues from day one. Bad bushings, my track bars make so much noise I am completely embarrassed and have been known as the songbird suspension, the coils come unseated all the time. I hate my lift and it really sucks because I spent like 2300 or so on it and I don't make a ton of money so I can't just say back with it and buy something else. This lift stresses me out so bad. I tell everyone I meet not to buy a full traction lift which sucks because i was really excited about it being made in USA. Biggest regret of my build!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
post #5 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Honestly, the rep at FT was rather hostile with me. At one point he pulled the "Eddie Oh ran our trackbar with 40's in Moab with no issues" card at one point while I was trying to talk technical facts.

He even went so far as to question my understanding of materials and structures, and I hate having to pull the "I'm a mechanical engineer" card. I've never been talked down to like that.

-Mike
post #6 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minner View Post
I too drank the kool aid and bought their 4" ultimate kit and have had issues from day one. Bad bushings, my track bars make so much noise I am completely embarrassed and have been known as the songbird suspension, the coils come unseated all the time. I hate my lift and it really sucks because I spent like 2300 or so on it and I don't make a ton of money so I can't just say back with it and buy something else. This lift stresses me out so bad. I tell everyone I meet not to buy a full traction lift which sucks because i was really excited about it being made in USA. Biggest regret of my build!

See the one thing I don't hate is the coils. Mine have been awesome but my fronts do start to unseat at full droop, and I have about 11.5" of total travel.

-Mike
post #7 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

Not sure how much actual travel I have, but I'm almost to the point of tac welding them to the perches. I believe my shocks extend to 27.75" and its on a pr44 so not sure if any of that is different from yours but mine come unseated all the time

post #8 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

why did you go teraflex? I've had to replace two of those from junk bushings.

That's nuts about the Ft one too.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #9 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Rock God

I purchased an early 3" FT lift in 08. The front coils sagged 2" in less than 1 year. When I called to report my issue and hoping to get a fix I was treated like shit by the rep and he too pulled out the "materials and engineering" card and asked if I was an engineer. Fuck you FT! I may not be an engineer but I can use a god damn tape measure.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

I had Full Traction trac bars. Due largely to the fact not many were available in 2008.

I specifically had my front truss made with a new TB mount so I could run my OEM TB. Works great.

I recently had my rear TB replaced when I had the rear mount fabbed by T&T Customs. They fabbed a new mount, raising my TB to horizontal, and it's an amazing difference. They also installed a new gen JKS TB on the rear. Works perfectly, outstanding quality.

The Full Traction TB's use literally a plastic bushing on the frame end. It's a shame, because the bars are quite beefy, but those bushings are loud, practically impossible to replace, and a joke.

EDIT: Everyone make sure and replace that OEM TB bolt (along with all the other chassis bolts) with aftermarket US/Grade 8 bolts. Once you get them all replaced it's night and day. Not that the OEM bolts aren't strong enough; they aren't large enough.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS

Last edited by Nukeman; 09-18-2012 at 08:51 PM.
post #11 of 34 Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

I'm running a 3" FT lift. Had my track bar bushings replaced front and rear for free by them after mentioning it to Chris in Moab.
Squeak went away.
I like the coils and have never noticed them unseat.
I have a slight shimmy now and then mist noticeably when I hit a certain type of bump at a certain speed. Kind of like dw but not really.
You guys have given me some key things to look at. Bolts, tb deflection and possibly new trackbars.
So, thanks.
Sent from my megaphone
post #12 of 34 Old 09-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

You may be running tera's 1st generation track bar, they had a recall on them.
Their Monster tracbar is huge with oe style bushings that work great. Were talking f350 huge, .
If you the early style get hold of tera they will credit you full price on the new style

Full service jeep shop , Dealer for PITBULL TIRES, ORI, TERAFLEX ,RUFFSTUFF, ROUGH COUNTRY, SUPERIOR GEAR, POISON SPYDER, PSC and many other brands
Hoyt4x4 727-522-4100
post #13 of 34 Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I live 5 minutes from FT, in a town that probabbly has more Jeeps per capita than anywhere else. FT has a VERY bad reputation in their own town. Even living 5 minutes from their shop and office, you can't get good service - which sucks because everyone wants to support a local business. Steve is a good guy, but Randy is the crux of the culture of bad customer service with that company.

And dropping Eddie's name is like recommending tacos to cure the hershey squirts.
post #14 of 34 Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

Mine wasn't the bushings that failed. It was the track bar splitting in half at the threads in the center of the bar that made mine fail.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #15 of 34 Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Customer service sounds like the first problem from what I hear. I think if there is a problem with a part of their suspension that can happen when you sell many parts and for many types of vehicles. When you find a problem not
addressing the issue is a BIG problem in my world.

Two words: Rock Krawler
post #16 of 34 Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
And dropping Eddie's name is like recommending tacos to cure the hershey squirts.
That's sig worthy right there. lol

post #17 of 34 Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJeepMaster View Post
That's sig worthy right there. lol
Thought the same damn thing lol

2010 Silver JKU
post #18 of 34 Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's why I buy Poly Performance Synergy!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #19 of 34 Old 09-25-2012, 05:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I live 5 minutes from FT, in a town that probabbly has more Jeeps per capita than anywhere else. FT has a VERY bad reputation in their own town. Even living 5 minutes from their shop and office, you can't get good service - which sucks because everyone wants to support a local business. Steve is a good guy, but Randy is the crux of the culture of bad customer service with that company.
Wow, that speaks volumes by itself right there.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:

That's a world of truth I wish I had heard a little over a year ago...

And for the record it was Steve I talked to. Whether he is/was a good guy, I can't say. He did talk to me for a good hour on the phone. But his tone, and refusal to listen, or watch the video.... Frustrating.

The most important part of customer service is serving the customer, and I tried to give them every opportunity, as politely and respectful as I could.

-Mike
post #21 of 34 Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

My RK track bar has an upward flex to it when I cycle the steering. This reminds me that I need to ask them about it.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #22 of 34 Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
My RK track bar has an upward flex to it when I cycle the steering. This reminds me that I need to ask them about it.
holy crap really? they're solid core alloy!

i wonder if it's a joint starting to go or somethign weird that makes it move.

post #23 of 34 Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
You're not alone on that one. My RK aluminum trackbar was junk so I had to send it back and got the TF Monster before I switched RK lift entirely for the Metalcloak setup.

Night and day.

2009 Red Rock Rubi-MetalCloak Gamechanger + armor-37"MTR/K on 17" Birddogs-Teraflex gusset+sleeve-Yukon 5.38-LineX tub-ORH top-Igees-Shrockworks stubby-Warn Powerplant w/Viking synth
Tuffy-Genright rear-River Raider full skid-Tattons-AEV slider-Advance adapters-Poly stuff everywhere-ZERO rockrawler!!!!!! shiiite
post #24 of 34 Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPJEEP View Post
You're not alone on that one. My RK aluminum trackbar was junk so I had to send it back and got the TF Monster before I switched RK lift entirely for the Metalcloak setup.

Night and day.
i don't have any experience with the MC ones but i've replaced 2 TF monster trac bars for RK bars on 2 different jeeps.

post #25 of 34 Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
Two words: Rock Krawler
X2 on that. I'm almost 4 years on my RK suspension and no issues at all. I'm about to replace all of the frame side rubber bushings but its more of a 'do it before you need to' thing.

I would never touch FT because they are big on JKF.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode