Help solve bad transaction! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help solve bad transaction!

I purchased a set of tires and rims that were listed as 75-80% tread. However when I got them they are 12/32's and new should be 21/32's so this puts them at basically half tread. Which we all know isn't equal to half life since you don't run tires bald. He has used the best half of the tire and left me the worst. To top it off he knew that the tread was 12/32's but didn't list that so he should have easily known with a simple math equation they were not 75-80% tread left.

Since they were shipped to me I can't just simply return them. I have given him 3 options:
1. Issue a full refund and you can pay to have them reshipped back to you.
2. Issue a partial refund and I will keep the tires.
3. I file a dispute for the charge with my credit card company.

If we go with #2 How do I determine what is fair? I really wanted tires that had very little use as my Jeep has less then 2,500 miles and want it to look nice. Had the actual tread % been given correctly I would not have purchased the tires (even if discounted). If I wanted half tread I could purchase them all day long locally, but that was not what I wanted.

Please give your advice on how to solve this problem.

2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Gecko Green!
6" longarm, 40" tires, 4:88's Synergy inner/outer sleeves, trussed, c's and hvy duty ball joints,Tom Woods DS f/r, Bush Whacker Flat Fenders.
RSE Rear Bumper, Smitty Stinger front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Private seller or a business? What makes you think he/she/they care about the discrepancy and they just dont tell you to have a nice day?

If take what you paid, knock off 20% and offer that as a "fair difference" and consider it lesson learned. Used tires are always a gamble, used tires online are even worse! If he tells you to pound sand...good luck, you can try the card company after that...but it seems like you are probably SOL.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

ask him to accommodate your first two demands within a reasonable time, say 3 business days. If he doesn't, cancel the payment with your credit card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

At this point I would resign myself to the idea that I'm going to take a loss here of some sort. The only thing you can do is recover as much money as possible so you're not screwed hard.

I don't think its unreasonable to request a full refund and that he pay for the return shipping, after all, he was the one not fulfilling his part of the agreement. I doubt you'll get it though.

Good luck.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
post #5 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
JKO Addict!

You paid for it with a credit card? Then screw that guy. File the report, dispute the charge, make sure he doesn't get paid. Then talk to him about a more realistic price for the crap he sent you.

~SoCo

In the next millennium, I'll still be Old School.
post #6 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I agree with SoCo Fox, call your credit card company and dispute it, then it puts the ball (power) back in your court. I have used this a few times and it always worked out well.
post #7 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the feedback so far. He offered to get me new bolts for the rim protectors, kind of as a "favor" for me. Not sure hows it a favor as it clearly listed the tires as complete. To make matters worse Rugged Ridge won't sell the bolts separate!!! That's another story.

He did offer me 5:13 gears for a rear dana 44, however it just got regeared to 4:88's and even so thats only $200. Since then he has offered $230 refund.

I think I agree with all the comments, dispute my credit card and let him deal with the problem he created by giving false information.

I will be leaving some negative feedback for him so no one else here gets screwed by him (bought them from this forum)

6" longarm, 40" tires, 4:88's Synergy inner/outer sleeves, trussed, c's and hvy duty ball joints,Tom Woods DS f/r, Bush Whacker Flat Fenders.
post #8 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Those 3 options sound like his choice... not yours.

What is he willing to do?

Go from there.

Buyer beware... always.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Sounds more like dirty laundry than shit shat. But either way, caveat emptor. ALWAYS.

Who's the seller? If he's a member here, he'd probably like the opportunity to tell his side of the story. I sure would.

Did his for sale ad have pics of each tire? Because if you looked at em online and said "ok" then you made a bad buy, which doesnt even approach being his fault.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 07-26-2012 at 05:53 PM.
post #10 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would add this also...

Allow him the chance to post here in this thread or resolve it behind closed doors.

just a recommendation, but maybe their was an honest error made on his part.

And we haven't seen pics... so....

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Sounds more like dirty laundry than shit shat.

Who's the seller? If he's a member here, he'd probably like the opportunity to tell his side of the story. I sure would.
Its chit chat as I wanted info on how I should try to resolve this. I'm not putting his name out there and flaming him personally, if I did that, then yes should be in Dirty Laundry.

I'm less about talking bad about him and more about getting some honest feedback about what is fair to fix the mess I'm in.

post #12 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Did his for sale ad have pics of each tire? Because if you looked at em online and said "ok" then you made a bad buy, which doesnt even approach being his fault.
Only close up pic was of the spare which was unused. So I took him on his word about the tread. I don't mind learning lessons in life, as long as they don't cost me money

post #13 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizNizy View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. He offered to get me new bolts for the rim protectors, kind of as a "favor" for me. Not sure hows it a favor as it clearly listed the tires as complete. To make matters worse Rugged Ridge won't sell the bolts separate!!! That's another story.

He did offer me 5:13 gears for a rear dana 44, however it just got regeared to 4:88's and even so thats only $200. Since then he has offered $230 refund.

I think I agree with all the comments, dispute my credit card and let him deal with the problem he created by giving false information.

I will be leaving some negative feedback for him so no one else here gets screwed by him (bought them from this forum)
Well since you're airing it out in the public area of the forum, here are your responsibilities:
1. Name names.
2. Be specific (so far so good on that front)
3. Work it out

I'm still not sure if you're talkin about someone who just joined JKO to get rid of some tires or someone who has a solid rep in our community, so for right now, i'm judt gonna go ahead and believe thst you are just a whiney kid who made a bad buy. You thought it was 21/32 and it was 12/32. Sounds like you bought a typo and didnt do enough homework, son. Being dumb is painful. And expensive. Sometimes both. I've gone both routes, taken my lumps and lived with a lesson learned. But I wont toss a guy under the bus without namin names.

post #14 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Regardless... it's been moved. It's going to get more attn here, and this is the appropriate section regardless if you are currently calling him out or not.

post #15 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Only close up pic was of the spare which was unused. So I took him on his word about the tread. I don't mind learning lessons in life, as long as they don't cost me money
So he refused when you requested close up pics of all 5 tires?

post #16 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I would add this also...

Allow him the chance to post here in this thread or resolve it behind closed doors.

just a recommendation, but maybe their was an honest error made on his part.

And we haven't seen pics... so....
I'm not trying to resolve it with him here, I've been dealing with him by PM. Just looking for ideas on how to value what I got compared to what he said they were.

He has his idea of fair, I have mine. Now I want outside ideas of what is fair.

post #17 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its chit chat as I wanted info on how I should try to resolve this. I'm not putting his name out there and flaming him personally, if I did that, then yes should be in Dirty Laundry.

I'm less about talking bad about him and more about getting some honest feedback about what is fair to fix the mess I'm in.
Dirty Laundry is dirty laundry.

Nah, you're basically calling him a cheat and not giving him a chance to lay down his side of the sandwich. You either put all pertinent info out there or you deal with it in private. Since you went public with it before it was resolved, you should at least give full disclosure.

Link to the for sale thread?

LOL, just saw that you're 30. You aint no son... son.

post #18 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well since you're airing it out in the public area of the forum, here are your responsibilities:
1. Name names.
2. Be specific (so far so good on that front)
3. Work it out

I'm still not sure if you're talkin about someone who just joined JKO to get rid of some tires or someone who has a solid rep in our community, so for right now, i'm judt gonna go ahead and believe thst you are just a whiney kid who made a bad buy. You thought it was 21/32 and it was 12/32. Sounds like you bought a typo and didnt do enough homework, son. Being dumb is painful. And expensive. Sometimes both. I've gone both routes, taken my lumps and lived with a lesson learned. But I wont toss a guy under the bus without namin names.
No typo, he didn't put the tread depth, just that they were 75-80%. He knew that they were only 12/32's but did not say that.

You want it you got it. Here is the thread for the tires:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73678

I also called and talked to him before the purchase to verify the details.

Being flat out lied to should not cost me.

post #19 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Regardless... it's been moved. It's going to get more attn here, and this is the appropriate section regardless if you are currently calling him out or not.
Sorry, thought dirty laundry was for "A place to talk about what you don't like about the JK."

Other wise I might have posted it here to begin with. I could care less where its posted as long as I get honest feedback of what others think is "fair".

post #20 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Sorry, thought dirty laundry was for "A place to talk about what you don't like about the JK."

Other wise I might have posted it here to begin with. I could care less where its posted as long as I get honest feedback of what others think is "fair".
Understood and no prob. Some specific issues/ topics don't really fit too well in the sub-forum descriptions.

post #21 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Always go with the credit card route if the seller doesn't want to play ball on the first offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #22 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Rock God

Wow....that sucks dude....i came really really close to grabbing these....glad i didn't....hope it works out for you.....only thing that sucks about the credit card dispute is that you will be responsible for the return shipping costs.

post #23 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

Pics must be decieving, they sure do look good in the for sale thread. Assuming you paid less than the $2000 he was asking, since it was OBO, I wouldn't expect half-bald tires either. Although that doesn't seem like an insane price for 50% tread 37s on aluminum wheels, especially if he offered $230 back. That being said, I am not surprised this happened, the guy has 16 posts and 10 were in that thread alone

08 2dr JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
All BJís are not the same manÖ I am sure you have had a good and a bad BJ in your time.
post #24 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
Pics must be decieving, they sure do look good in the for sale thread. Assuming you paid less than the $2000 he was asking, since it was OBO, I wouldn't expect half-bald tires either. Although that doesn't seem like an insane price for 50% tread 37s on aluminum wheels, especially if he offered $230 back. That being said, I am not surprised this happened, the guy has 16 posts and 10 were in that thread alone
Paid $2,300 shipped. So yeah I'm pretty butt hurt about it.

post #25 of 68 Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

And BOOM goes the dynamite.

Lesson learned, dude. I'd say if the OP got the tires in those pics, he's being overly butthurt about all this.
If the seller offered anything in concession, I'd take it. Immediately.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 07-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode