F'king clock spring! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

F'king clock spring!

So yesterday the Airbag light starts going off on my 08 JKU. Along with this super annoying chime every minute or whenever I turn the wheel. I know it's the clock spring. This problem is almost as bad as the constant cracked driver side manifolds. Of course mine is an 08 so the extended warranty doesn't cover it even though it's the exact same part as the 07's or the rest for that matter.

Called Chrysler Customer Care and was given a big How can they extend the warranty on just one year when it effects all years? And why am I forced to listen to this damn chime on a safety system I don't even want. ( I hate airbags)

Why are some people having luck with Chrysler paying the $500 for this repair but when I call they have no clue what I'm talking about?

Ok rant over.. carry on.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Granite Guru

Dealing with Chrysler can sometimes be a pain, especially from the customers end. Hate to say it but its the truth, if there's anything I can do to help let me know man. At the very least we offer a large discount for all forum members on OEM & aftermarket parts. If you need help with the price of the clockspring let me know
post #3 of 13 Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I thought 08s had a recall on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I thought 08s had a recall on it?
No sir, there was actually never an official recall on it for any year. What they did was extend the warranty on that part for the 07's only. That's what makes me mad is it's the same design and same exact part for all the years so why only make it apply to one certain year? They are admitting there is a high failure rate but only want to fix it on one year only.

I did a lot of searching on it and found a lot of people who claimed to have success in calling Chrysler Customer Care hotline and getting them to cover it. But like I said when I called they had no clue what I was talking about.

And what upsets me the most about this is it's a system that is requred by law to be on the vehicle and it's annoying as all hell with the chime going off every minute while you drive and a big red light flashing on the dash. If it wasn't for the light and the chime I couldn't care less about if my airbags work or not. So basically I'm going to have to pay almost $300 for a part to fix something I don't even want.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

If you pull the 2 fuses that are in the yellow safety case in the fuse box, you have to pry the whole thing out carefully with a small screwdriver, it will only chime once when you start the jeep and the light will stay on and not blink. Not the best thing to do, but it will give you some sanity until you can get the clockspring fixed or wait till they extend the warranty on the 08's. Or just say fuck it and put a piece of tape over the light.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
If you pull the 2 fuses that are in the yellow safety case in the fuse box, you have to pry the whole thing out carefully with a small screwdriver, it will only chime once when you start the jeep and the light will stay on and not blink. Not the best thing to do, but it will give you some sanity until you can get the clockspring fixed or wait till they extend the warranty on the 08's. Or just say fuck it and put a piece of tape over the light.
Oh nice! Thanks for that tip. I will look into that tonight. I broke down and ordered a new clock spring but until I get it swapped it will give me a little sanity.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Rock God

$500 repair? Sweet! When mine went last year. The stealer quoted me $1179AUD PART ONLY, down here. Yes, I have an '08 as well.

I got one from Jeepsareus delivered to the doorstep for $240AUD and put it in myself.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Rock God

I turned the sound on the radio up, haven't heard the "DING!" since

I finally understand JustEmptyEveryPocket...
post #9 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

My dads jk clock sping went out a few times. the last time the warranty rep came out and denied the repair. My dad called chrysler and the told him to pay for it and send them the bill and soon after reimbursed him

Thats ill cause they act a different way with me
I feel like no body wanna playa with me
thats real cause they treat me
like a stain on their clothes
they treat me like i got a red nose
post #10 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Had to FIGHT with the dealer to get mine fixed in my 08. Tried to tell me that it failed due to "off-road abuse"
post #11 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuwirth Motors Parts View Post
Dealing with Chrysler can sometimes be a pain, especially from the customers end. Hate to say it but its the truth, if there's anything I can do to help let me know man. At the very least we offer a large discount for all forum members on OEM & aftermarket parts. If you need help with the price of the clockspring let me know

I had my 2010 JKU Sahara at the dealer today. Clock spring $250, labor $160. Can you help out a Jeeper in NJ? I'll do the install myself.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
I had my 2010 JKU Sahara at the dealer today. Clock spring $250, labor $160. Can you help out a Jeeper in NJ? I'll do the install myself.

The guy at Neuwirth is very helpful. Send him a PM as he might not see this post.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Granite Guru

Done, thanks for the heads up rubirobv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode