Smittybilt SRC Side Armor JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Smittybilt SRC Side Armor JK

I really liked the looks of these steps so after researching and finding out that they fit pretty good other than the holes needed to be slotted I decided to order a set. I went to install them and they don't fit worth a shit. One side is so fucked up that I can only get 3 out of 4 body mount nuts on and the tube is only about 1/16" away from rubbing on the rocker in the center. I sent off an email to Smittybilt to see what they say but unless they make it right than I will never buy anything from them again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to JKMudder

Seems to be about the norm. I had the rocker guards on my 10 and they were a pain in the ass to get mounted. I'm planning on them again on my 12 and I'll just hope to luck out. If I could find anything within $100 that looked 1/2 as good I'd get them instead, but I haven't yet.

This seems to be true of all their stuff. My XRC front bumper didn't fit right either on my 10. I went with the RR XHD on this one and the fit is 10x better.

"Not all those who wander are lost" - Tolkien
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It wasn't even the price that made me choose these, I liked the way they looked and my wife was big on having a step to make it easier for her to get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I had those as well before.....you have to drill out the front two holes (one on each side) to get them to line up. To get the fronts secured, I used regular socket (not a deep well) with an extension....took a lot of $%^#&#*@(@ but I finally got them on there!

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
JKO Addict!

I have installed two sets. On mine and my friend Merediths jeep.

The trick is, install one nut, super loose, either the front or rear outside nut, then wiggle and shake the other side till it pops in, install nut, then tighten them all up.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The thing is I have the hole slotted so far forward on the passenger side the nut won't fit, the nut hits the front part of the mounting bracket. Besides none of that helps with the fact that the tube is basically touching the rocker. I have been a diesel mechanic for ten years so this isn't my first time making something work, the set I received are just that far out.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yep, mine came in last week and I did a test fit. Some modification will need to be done to the body mount rims. Wasn't surprised bc I read up on them and knew to expect some issues. But as mentioned the look is great and the price is worth it.

That being said, I have experienced nothing but poor fitment with most of my smittybilt items. They need to put more pride into their R&D and manufacturing.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm going to be taking them off, was looking at it closer after driving over to a friends house and it rubbed the paint off the rocker about 3/8" long. I will take pics before they come off so I can send smittybilt some pics if I hear back from them.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Chalk it up as anither "shittybuilt"

post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Already did that, I figure I will do some cutting and welding on them to see if I can make it work since I'm not out anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode