Were You Banned? Or Generally Have Comments - Vent Here. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Exclamation Were You Banned? Or Generally Have Comments - Vent Here.

Anybody want to hear my Jk-Forum ban story? It pretty good, it just happened today.
I don't want to post it if the mods don't want it here, or if you guys don't want to hear it.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let's hear it, but I don't care to have the squabble spill over hear.
post #3 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Rock God

By all means..........please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
gcg

Yes, love to hear it.
post #5 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

OK, but no squabble to really speak of. Just some very questionable behaviour.

Back in September, I got fed up and voluntarily "removed" myself from the forum. I made no negative comments, public or private, about the forum. Actually I didn't even tell anyone I was leaving, I just left. I have held my tongue on this forum as well. So, I turn off my pm's and email, logged out, killed the photobucket account, and set up permanent camp here. I still visited from time to time, but as a guest.

Fast forward to late January, I was looking to move my evap can and remembered a member over there had a cheap kit, so I got in contact with him and made the buy. I guess I forgot to turn the pm's and email off because on Monday I got this email:

Quote:
Hey there,

I'd love to see pics of your rig. I'm installing the same kit in a couple of weeks (collecting parts).

This thread doesn't seem to show pics
(link to thread)

Take care,

(signature)
The member was referring to my lift kit. This is what I wrote back:

Quote:
I'm no longer an active member on this forum, but if you seach out some of the other forums I use the same name. There you will find pics.
So today I go to get on the forum at work and get the " your IP has been banned" screen. When I got home, same thing. So, I get "creative with the keyboard" and get back on as a guest and yep, you guessed it, I found a post of mine and the coveted "BANNED" award under my name.

Apparently, the rules are getting ridiculously strict on PM communications over there. That's Ok though, I can still get on and look whenever I want Nice try, Eddie, but no cigar!!!

/jl

post #6 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Rock God

You've got to be kidding! Merely "suggesting" that there might be another forum, somewhere, and that you're name was on it, are sufficient to get you BANNED? I wonder if they lurk here so that they can find other dual members to ban. If that's the case I probably won't be a member in good standing much longer.
post #7 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I guess they do lurk and that's what got me banned
I had the "limited access", u know, no PM, no search, all that jazz for awhile
I'd still go back every once in awhile when I got bored and read random posts, tried last night and got the your ip is banned msg.
So evidently if you're on more than one forum that's enough to get you banned now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I guess they do lurk and that's what got me banned
I had the "limited access", u know, no PM, no search, all that jazz for awhile
I'd still go back every once in awhile when I got bored and read random posts, tried last night and got the your ip is banned msg.
So evidently if you're on more than one forum that's enough to get you banned now.
That's interesting since Piginajeep is a moderator on 4WD's forum also. Guess that doesn't count.
post #9 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

just went in and found an old post by me and I have the banned badge of honor under my name.
BTW, Hey Eddie - internet proxies beat your ip banning every damn time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #10 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My proxy beat up your ban

/jl

post #11 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
gcg

If I were a sponsor, I'd be thinking really heavily about whether I wanted to remain part of that forum. It is generating a lot of ill will and a feeling that it is completely closed and controlled and that the sponsors are partly responsible for folks not being able to get complete information.

Most people don't want that, they just want to talk about their jeeps and get good advice on what works and what doesn't. I'd think that being tied to that site might become more of a burden than a benefit.

Personally, I'll steer clear of the sponsors over there if I have an alternative.
Rick Rand likes this.
post #12 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Rock God

It's the moral equivalent of Jeep coming and repossessing my vehicle because I've *****ed about certain aspects of it on internet forums. Ultimately, it's not good business. Moderate.......yes. Dictate.........NO.
Rick Rand likes this.
post #13 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Rock God

im not banned... no fair!

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #14 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

what is crazy is that he is monitoring peoples PRIVATE messages
Rick Rand likes this.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

post #15 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Rock God

no joke. Several of mine were edited or deleted. And you cant type the word JKowners anywhere on that site including in PMs. After i got my restriction you cant even type my clubs name, GAtrailriders without the langauge filter editing it
Rick Rand likes this.

2006 LJ - current
post #16 of 12732 Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Sorry to hear about that John.

I used to think I was the only one, way back when, but now it seems to be that more and more are either coming around or are being pushed out.

I also agree that the sponsors will begin to drop off as they realize that the only remaining members will be Eddie and the sheeple.

What a shame.

Everyone is welcomed here. Everyone can speak their mind without censorship. The truth isn't out there, it's right here.

Spring is just around the corner and I just can't wait for some more 4-lo time.

Let's wheel.
post #17 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks, Michael. Well put. I'm gonna get some serious 4lo time tomorrow, I'll post the pics when I get them developed.

/jl

post #18 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 AM

I am gonna assume this site is Project JK. Never a problem, but I generally keep quiet.

I've tried jeepforums.com several times. I guess they feel I am not worthy enough to be a part of their little click.
post #19 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg View Post
Personally, I'll steer clear of the sponsors over there if I have an alternative.
X2. I also avoid doing business with their major sponsors, Northridge for example! Dictators like Eddie donít work for long in a free market
post #20 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I've tried jeepforums.com several times. I guess they feel I am not worthy enough to be a part of their little click.

I've been a mod over there for over 6 years. what problem do you have? Anyone specifically.
post #21 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 AM

Tried registering a few times. I have an AOL account...yes I know...and when it gave me the link to register the screen said invalid email address.

Well if I am clicking on the link from the email.......

Sent an email explaining the problem, and have gotten squat.

Oh well.
nosnhoj1 likes this.
post #22 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Rock God

I'll do some checking. AOL might not work. did you try to register under the same name???
post #23 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskydriver View Post
Tried registering a few times. I have an AOL account...yes I know...and when it gave me the link to register the screen said invalid email address.

Well if I am clicking on the link from the email.......

Sent an email explaining the problem, and have gotten squat.

Oh well.
try highlighting the address in your email and copying and pasting it into the address bar and hitting enter.

It's more likely to do with AOL than Jeepforums and IIRC, this instruction is in many hyperlink emails due to AOL.
post #24 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan View Post
what is crazy is that he is monitoring peoples PRIVATE messages
Does Jk-forums rules state, when you sign up, that one's private messages are not private?

It seems that many administrators have this thing in their heads that since they "own" their forum they can do whatever they want with all of the data, period. I think there is an expectation of privacy when using the private messaging system of a forum and if the admin is abusing that by reading user's PMs, it's no different than a peeping tom owner eyeballing a restroom.
post #25 of 12732 Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
It seems that many administrators have this thing in their heads that since they "own" their forum they can do whatever they want with all of the data, period. I think there is an expectation of privacy when using the private messaging system of a forum and if the admin is abusing that by reading user's PMs, it's no different than a peeping tom owner eyeballing a restroom.
well as Eddie said in a PM to me. "It is my forum, its my personal business and I run it to make money. If you don't like it go start your own forum."

So yes, in his eyes he does view your personal messages as his property and his right to look at them. I hate to say it, but I can see his point. I don't agree with it, but I can see where he gets the idea of it. Now comparing him looking at private messages to a store owner watching some in the bathroom is two diffrent things.
Rick Rand likes this.

2006 LJ - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode