Driver side exhaust manifold!!!!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Driver side exhaust manifold!!!!!!!

Just throwing this out there......I have an 07 auto with 68k. I replaced the driver side manifold and put on an MBRP exhaust with about 40k. I started smelling an exhaust smell in cab about a month ago and while changing fluids, I decided to check exhaust for possible leaks or loose clamps. Well it's the damn driver side manifold cracked again. I am wondering if the Rusty's CAI has anything to do with it. I'm not a mechanic so what do you guys think? Anyone else having repeated manifold issues using a CAI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

It's a jk thing.
Has nothing to do with a cai.
Jk exhaust manifolds break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Iv'e been hearing an exhaust leak in that area for a long time, I guess its most likely that same thing. Other than hearing the exhaust leak am I losing that much power or mpg leaving it as is?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Iv'e been hearing an exhaust leak in that area for a long time, I guess its most likely that same thing. Other than hearing the exhaust leak am I losing that much power or mpg leaving it as is?
Your power and MPG will be affected for sure. How much depends on how bad the crack is. The problem with the crack is it allows fresh air to be sucked into the manifold and then the 02 sensor picks up on this and sees a lean condition. The ECU then tries to compensate for the lean condition by adding more fuel. So you end up running rich which reduces power and decreases MPG's.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Granite Guru

Has anyone attempted to wrap the manifold with heat wrap when they replace it to see if it helps? My theory on these manifolds is that they heat and cool too rapidly. Applying heat wrap to the manifolds would help them cool slowly and possibly reduce the chance of them cracking.

post #6 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have replaced driver's side manifold also. I do believe water from the street or trail is causing them to crack. JK manifold design or quality??????Not sure if wrapping them would do much to prevent the cracks if rapid cooling from water is the culprit.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtmaniac View Post
Your power and MPG will be affected for sure. How much depends on how bad the crack is. The problem with the crack is it allows fresh air to be sucked into the manifold and then the 02 sensor picks up on this and sees a lean condition. The ECU then tries to compensate for the lean condition by adding more fuel. So you end up running rich which reduces power and decreases MPG's.
Well I guess I will be ordering a new one, where is the best price? Is it usually only the driver side?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #8 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I have replaced driver's side manifold also. I do believe water from the street or trail is causing them to crack. JK manifold design or quality??????Not sure if wrapping them would do much to prevent the cracks if rapid cooling from water is the culprit.
It could help by not allowing the water to actually spash onto the metal surface and instantly cool it. I have to replace mine (again) So I will give it a shot. It can't hurt any.

post #9 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are there any worthwhile gains to be had going with a gibson header or something other than stock replacement?

See Garage for Mods
post #10 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Are there any worthwhile gains to be had going with a gibson header or something other than stock replacement?
From what I've researched it looks like most of the shorty headers do not give you much if any gains. I know the RIPP longtubes are popular and do make proven power but they are also very expensive. But even if the shorties give you zero gains it may be almost worth it for the fact that they won't crack again.

post #11 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
From what I've researched it looks like most of the shorty headers do not give you much if any gains. I know the RIPP longtubes are popular and do make proven power but they are also very expensive. But even if the shorties give you zero gains it may be almost worth it for the fact that they won't crack again.
So what are the descent options available? It looks like factory headers from mopardirect are $100 per side not including gaskets where as the gibson headers can be had for $300ish a pair with gaskets. I'm ok with spending an extra $100 knowing that it will most likely not crack again in the near future.

If someone running the Gibsons could chime in it would be appreciated.

See Garage for Mods
post #12 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I had the same issue & went with the JBA titanium ceramic shorty headers. Now, they've been fine for a replacement, but don't think that you're going to get much for gains with shorty headers. If you really want to get your money's worth, then just bite the bullet and go with a set of RIPP long-tubes.

Wish I had done that the first time around.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't believe I never thought of the exhaust wrap. I've wrapped the pipes on my bikes for years. It makes sense to me that it could reduce the chance for cracking.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #14 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I had the same issue & went with the JBA titanium ceramic shorty headers. Now, they've been fine for a replacement, but don't think that you're going to get much for gains with shorty headers. If you really want to get your money's worth, then just bite the bullet and go with a set of RIPP long-tubes.

Wish I had done that the first time around.
I know, I have been looking at the long tube header for awhile but damn that is a lot of money. Some actual performance gains for the 3.8 would be nice though. I'm planning on a Ripp down the road so I guess it is a viable option.

See Garage for Mods
post #15 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIGAN View Post
I can't believe I never thought of the exhaust wrap. I've wrapped the pipes on my bikes for years. It makes sense to me that it could reduce the chance for cracking.
I think the only downside to the wrap would be if you lived in a very wet climate or forged water a lot. I've heard the wrap can trap moisture and rust the manifolds pretty quick. I don't have to worry about that here int he desert but just something to think about. But still it has to be better than a manifold that needs replaced every oil change

post #16 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
So what are the descent options available? It looks like factory headers from mopardirect are $100 per side not including gaskets where as the gibson headers can be had for $300ish a pair with gaskets. I'm ok with spending an extra $100 knowing that it will most likely not crack again in the near future.

If someone running the Gibsons could chime in it would be appreciated.
Quadratec has them for $75 http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...jk-exhaust.php and I think I've seen them as low as $60 before.

Last edited by svtmaniac; 06-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Quadratec has them for $75 http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac...jk-exhaust.php and I think I've seen them as low as $60 before.
Nice find, I've had bad experiences with Quadretec in the past but I guess I may be giving them a try again.

See Garage for Mods
post #18 of 21 Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I've replaced my drivers side last year. Now I hear some suspicious sounds from the pass side. Gonna replace this fall with some after market shorty headers.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 06-16-2012 at 12:09 AM.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

for those of us that bought them at the right time, the exhaust manifolds are covered under the lifetime powertrain warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Driver side exhaust manifold

Well I've been doing research if thats what you want to call it and I keep getting that about all you can do is keep replacing with an OEM manifold. A lot of you serious jeepers know my cousin that goes by ROOSTER on the forum and he had the shorty headers and felt he had a decrease in horsepower. They just don't do much for the terd of an engine like the 3.8 and they are suspectible because of placement to burning sparkplug wires. So cost wise I guess it just as easy to stay with the OEM for the price. Another friend told me to check into getting the ceramic coated, I haven't checked into that yet but sounds expensive for a $75 pot metal manifold. Anyway thanks for the feed back and if any one finds a good deal on an OEM post up the website......DJLAYNE
post #21 of 21 Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i'll also restate the same. with the shortys, dont expect any substantial gains. for $250, i got flowdaddy headers. i've got roughly 10,000 miles on them now with no problem. they're supposed to have a lifetime warranty.... but the details of the warranty were not included with the headers. the way i figured, for the additional $150-ish, if they cracked, i'd get them replaced under warranty.

i look at it like this. i didn't notice any loss of power and the fuel economy didn't go down after the install or since. there may have been a 1 to 2mpg increase.. bit hard to say. either way, my leak was fixed and it added a throaty grumble to my exhaust.

sure. if i had the money, i'd buy the long tubes. money, however.. is something i dont have much of.

a final thought about wrapping the stock exhaust.
due to the shape, i dont think they lend themselves to wrapping much. in the case of corrosion... i dont foresee a problem with the stock manifolds. i've never seem a cast manifold rust apart from salt... but i am from s.ga...

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 06-17-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode