Smittybilt winch:would this piss you off - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Smittybilt winch:would this piss you off

The free spool lever on my winch has been buggered on my winch since day one....stuck in freespool.

My vendor said they would replace it, then before I got the chance to swap it, they changed their policy to have the mfg deal with all warranty issues.

So I email smittybilt and they're sending me the parts to fix it myself.

I barely have the time to take the bumper and winch off, let alone disassemble the winch.

My mechanical skills flat out suck...I'm not a total moron, but I'm not a mechanic by any means. I'm somewhat concerned that if I fuck up my winch repair, I could end up stranded someday if the thing fails on me. I'm also concerned about future warranty issues if it's been worked on by me. I envision having to take the thing on and off a couple times...maybe not, who knows.

I don't have a garage, so I'll be doing this in the driveway and rebuilding the winch at my kitchen table.

I kinda thought they would replace the winch...maybe not the controls or the rope..but the main winch part.

To be honest, I probably won't even fix it...it still works, I just can't free spool, which is a huge pain in the arse.

Would you be pissed or am I over reacting.

I was under the impression that warranty meant they would fix it...not give me parts to fix it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Don't get your panties in a wad. Just take the end cover off, if you have some allen keys. Metric I think. I just took my end cover off this weekend. Remove the lever and replace it.

Does the warranty say that they will fix it? Or just replace parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Let me put this strait are you gonna be that guy on the trail waiting to get help because you cant do it yourself?

You can do it,your mechanical skill will improve with time,get the right tool,ill say that's the most important.

For the rest you will get all the info you could ever need around here,

As for the time what is more relaxing then working on your rig a nice Saturday morning?

Winter is coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm not afraid of doing it...I'm sure I could figure it out.

I've installed most of the stuff on my jeep..usually with help, but I've managed.

If it wasn't under warranty, I'd fix it myself out of nessecity.

I think the part that is upsetting that the warranty is "here's some parts, fix it yourself"....instead of them taking care of it. Anything else I've ever needed warranty for has been taken care of by the vendor or manufacture, from computers to the jeep dealership. When they fixed my clock spring, they didn't say here's your part, have at it...they fixed the clock spring...if you get what I mean.

I'm probably more pissed at the dealer who said they'd replace it, then said other wise.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Because jeep doesn't want the liability when you set the airbag off in your face. Get some black RTV before you start this job though. Before you put the end cover back on run a small bead of rtv on the mating surface of the cover. The bottom of my XRC8 has grease all over it where it melted and leaked out.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

If you were a company would you want to eat $100 in shipping in order to fix a $1 part? Its an easy fix and the down time on the winch with you fixing it yourself is going to be a lot less than with you shipping them the winch and them shipping it back.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Smittybilt's winch warranty is for part replacement only, they dont replace the whole winch.

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #8 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Not knowing how to do the repair, but being willing to learn how to do it = good
Not knowing how to do the repair, and not willing to learn how to or do it = bad

I get your point though. It is shitty, but I kinda see both sides of this. I do understand that shipping a winch back and forth for a little part is not practical. However the argument can be made that, "Well then it shouldn't have came defective." Also when something goes to fuck in your TV the mfg or retailer often will send someone out to your place to deal with it.

I guess if my Smittybilt was defective I'd take it with a grain of salt because they are so cheap. Now if a $2000 Warn came defective it might be a different story...

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #9 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Would you want someone from 4 wheel parts coming to your house and try to fix your winch? No thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12xu View Post
I could end up stranded someday if the thing fails on me.
Situation is a PITA agreed, but your comment means you should have bought a WARN
post #11 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine wouldn't swith easily from day one. Have you tried hitting the remote while moving the lever? I also hit the base of the lever with some penetrating oil, and no issues since.

The teeth are probably messy from the factory. After a while, they break in. Once a eek I make it a habit to engage/freespool the lever a couple times too.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

They sent me the wrong part after waiting for a month...been waiting for the right part since.

First contact was may 21st.....still haven't got my part.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Rock God

Smitty makes a lever repair kit, even with instructions how to change it. PART #S/B97281-37

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #14 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKJEEP View Post
Smitty makes a lever repair kit, even with instructions how to change it. PART #S/B97281-37
Its not the lever.

I can kick the lever into freespool, but it takes 4 guys to pull it out.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

My XRC10K came fucked from the get go. It would not engage. I returned to the dealer. They gave me a new one.

09 Black JKUR
post #16 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddevil View Post
My XRC10K came fucked from the get go. It would not engage. I returned to the dealer. They gave me a new one.
My deler told me to go through the company.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Good luck, hope they get you the correct part. You can do this fix, it won't be that hard. Good learning experience

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
VKS Fab

I had the exact same issue. Smitty send me the repair kit and I fixed the problem. The only issue was that I no longer trusted it. IMO my winch is my life line, I have to have 100% faith in it. That's why once it was fixed it I got rid of it and I have a 10k warn between my frame rails.

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #19 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I got a tracking number for the gear assembly today.

I'm not afraid to do the fix...I'm afraid that it might fail in an awkward predicament when I need it most.

I carry a spare electrics box and controller...just in case.

So far, this little guy has not let me down...even on some really hard pulls.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Garage

Here's your problem..

I hope you get it fixed soon though.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #21 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Here's your problem..
post #22 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

gear assembly arrived today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode