Has JKO become JKF? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage
Has JKO become JKF?

Look how many vendor forums there are!?!? And the amount of re-sellers pushing product in threads is way out of hand. Thinking this website has become more of a marketplace than a enthusiast forum. And why is there no blue star program here on JKO? Are the plethora of vendors/re-sellers pitching in 10 bucks per user to the BRC ??

This isn't a rant against the users, vendors, and re-sellers, it is straight up a question for JKO management.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Look how many vendor forums there are!?!? And the amount of re-sellers pushing product in threads is way out of hand. Thinking this website has become more of a marketplace than a enthusiast forum. And why is there no blue star program here on JKO? Are the plethora of vendors/re-sellers pitching in 10 bucks per user to the BRC ??

This isn't a rant against the users, vendors, and re-sellers, it is straight up a question for JKO management.

JKF ...not even close. There's definitely been some downsides since ownership was transferred, but this place is nothing like that ass factory.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Wheeler

Vendors are great. One of the reasons I read this forum is to get good upgrade ideas and learn about new products. If they support the forum and throw out some good forum-only deals from time to time I don't see the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

I see what the op is saying when it comes to force product presence, which was my biggest gripe with JKfoum.

What I mean is someone ask a question about a recommendation, or an issue, and rather than address the question with a tech response(and maybe help someone else from asking the same fucking question), more and more manufacturers are trying to push their product as the fix, without explaining why.

That's what I find fucked up.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #5 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Some yes some no. I asked about raceline monsters and Marcus gave me good advice on which rock ring to go with which tire. Didn't try to sell me anything. It is pretty clear which vendors to stay away from and which are actually willing to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Some yes some no. I asked about raceline monsters and Marcus gave me good advice on which rock ring to go with which tire. Didn't try to sell me anything. It is pretty clear which vendors to stay away from and which are actually willing to help.
Agreed, some venders know how to sell parts without "selling" it. I just find it annoying if I ask a tech question and I'm answered with a part name, not why I'm having my issue.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #7 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Rock God

agreed with the OP.

this forum is becoming like JK-F more and more every time I come to visit it.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #8 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM
JKO Addict!

If there were 1 vendor fourm, I'd be more likely to visit it. I'm not going to go into each forum to see what's going on. Band together and get more visibilty!!

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #9 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Rock God

I thought there was less from the vendors lately as they all try pushing you towards Facebook. Where they can all go fuck themselves. I waste enough time on forums, I don't need that waste of life also.
post #10 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Rock God

Garage

I see where everybody's coming from as well. A vendors forum would be a great idea, with a general section where users can ask questions about products and get answers.

Maybe the vendors who haven't logged in or participated in a while should be sent a notice that they'll be booted from the forum for lack of activity --- talking about the big guys that rarely give any input.

Maybe throw a poll up to see what vendors should stay and which should go.

Many vendors don't provide jack-shit for assistance, help or the like. There are a few that I have interacted with who are excellent with providing help and info.

Another thing is vendors stomping on other vendors threads...pretty shitty.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #11 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It may not be JKF, but it sure as hell ain't no Asylum!
post #12 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

being able to talk about EVERY product, not just the ones that the skullet douchebag gets free shit is whats important to me.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #13 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisaMent View Post
I see where everybody's coming from as well. A vendors forum would be a great idea, with a general section where users can ask questions about products and get answers.

Maybe the vendors who haven't logged in or participated in a while should be sent a notice that they'll be booted from the forum for lack of activity --- talking about the big guys that rarely give any input.

Maybe throw a poll up to see what vendors should stay and which should go.

Many vendors don't provide jack-shit for assistance, help or the like. There are a few that I have interacted with who are excellent with providing help and info.

Another thing is vendors stomping on other vendors threads...pretty shitty.
If a vendor wants to pay JKO and not participate, I'm okay with that.

When they do participate they should just be respectful of "us" and the other vendors.

if you're going to contribute, contribute. Don't just post a link to your product and then bounce.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #14 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I don't like that I have to be honest and say that it has me concerned also..

but I have yet to see anything severely affected yet, besides that there is so much more vendor activity here now then there used to be.

If I hear of any complaints or see anything that is "vendors stepping on toes" or "aggressively competing ( unsolicited) for someone's business", than I ABSOLUTELY want to be notified so that ADMIN is aware.

Regardless of the influx of advertisers here, I expect all members to be treated with respect from ALL our vendors....big and small/ new and old.

The flip side of the negatives are that having vendors here puts them in direct contact with YOU... the buyers. They will ( as they always have) be held accountable publicly when mistakes are made, when a product fails, or if there are questionable business practices involved.... until/ unless that ever changes.

So how in the HELL is any of this like JKF??

Laughable..

Anyway... always let me know ( since there's NO way I can scan every post on this forum every day) and I'll try to make sure to keep everyone playing fairly.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #15 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:

Trying to curb that a bit.. also trying to get plethora of vendor forum moved to the bottom of the page as it is a distration IMO and most of them arent even utilized... so I feel you on some of this.

The Blue star program was put in place at Pirate before it was transferred so that's why it is still in place there.. We are still trying to get that implemented here.

Vendors should not be trying to "sell" in tech threads.

We are FAR FAR FAR from being JKF and as long as I have anything to do with JKO those kind of restrictions will never exist here.

We are like no one else.. We are JKO, and I appreciate the feedback but I don't have the keys to everything here so I will do what I can and kick the rest upstairs. Some of this is already in the works.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #16 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Granite Guru

Jko or die!!!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
post #17 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This isn't a rant against the users, vendors, and re-sellers, it is straight up a question for JKO management.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
If a vendor wants to pay JKO and not participate, I'm okay with that.

When they do participate they should just be respectful of "us" and the other vendors.

if you're going to contribute, contribute. Don't just post a link to your product and then bounce.
x2 and who would want to vote off vendors for not participating enough? lol

I haven't been paying a lot of attention lately but vendors hit-and-run or spamming tech definitely isn't the norm for JKO. There are a lot of good people here and several started as enthusiasts just like us so sometimes there may be a learning curve on how to interact in threads. But I haven't noticed any malicious aggressive product pushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
So how in the HELL is any of this like JKF??

Laughable..
QFT

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 05-24-2012 at 09:38 AM.
post #18 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
It may not be JKF, but it sure as hell ain't no Asylum!
No, but the vendor forums--- yeah, that shit's outta control.

post #19 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

To be honest: I hid the vendors section a long time ago. And haven't really looked at it since. And I have no plans to, unless I will be looking for something specific in the future. It was populated with a few vendors that I don't think contribute anything usefull to the site. But, if they wanna pay to be a vendor here, who am I to stop them?

I am glad that they are here, $upporting the site. If this site weren't making money, I highly doubt that the current powers-that-be would keep it running.

There have been a couple of cases of Near-Mulletness since the new regime came to power. But, it is not anything near JKF status. And I certainly hope it never will be.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #20 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

After reading most of the rror skid vs. stock mess....
Nope! Even if a few threads seem obnoxious, there is still enough tech and open info to set this site higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #21 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Trying to curb that a bit.. also trying to get plethora of vendor forum moved to the bottom of the page as it is a distration
Thank you. Looking at all those vendor forums at the top is disgusting! Makes this place look like a selling forum, rather than a wheeling forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
The Blue star program was put in place at Pirate before it was transferred so that's why it is still in place there.. We are still trying to get that implemented here.
Does the new owners have issue with BRC? Seems like it would be easy to setup and well... it is needed for our sport's future.

And the problem from getting help from a vendor/re-seller is that you never know what their actual motive is. Are they really trying to help you or are they really trying to push you towards something they sell/make? It's a major conflict of interest for a vendor or re-seller to give advice. I see the merit of it, but only when directly asked, and any info should be straight facts about their product, not a 'mine is better than theirs' pissing match.

Thinking back, I can recall only one time a manufacture told me to go look elsewhere as their product wouldn't hold up to me... otherwise I just hear how hardcore this and that shit is.
post #22 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Speaking as a user not a vendor, I kinda like how pirate does it. Far less company specific forums and the vendors forums have sub topic forums, like tools, lifts, recovery, engine etc.

Vendors (including me) try get their threads on page one or page 2 every week or so. Splitting it but topic would make it less cluttered because there would be less need to bump threads.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #23 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
Speaking as a user not a vendor, I kinda like how pirate does it. Far less company specific forums and the vendors forums have sub topic forums, like tools, lifts, recovery, engine etc.

Vendors (including me) try get their threads on page one or page 2 every week or so. Splitting it but topic would make it less cluttered because there would be less need to bump threads.
This!

Listening JKO? Even some of your vendors feel the same way!
post #24 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This!

Listening JKO? Even some of your vendors feel the same way!
To add a little more. On Wrangler Forum the default number of threads displayed on the vendor forum is double what it is here so less bumping happens. If one of my offerings is already on the first page or two I'm not going to bump it, there's no point. The single vendor forum here is a "bumpfest" because there is so much going on in there. I'm not sure that really helps anyone, members or vendors alike.

BRB gonna bump a few threads while I'm here

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #25 of 123 Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Old JKO mantra: "We're Pirate Lite."

New JKO mantra: "We're not as bad as JKF."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode