Mobil 1 synthetic grease - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Mobil 1 synthetic grease

Really, WTF is this stuff? I bought it thinking it would be a good quality, tough, hard-wearing grease.

Instead a few days later I find it leaking a thick red oil-like fluid all over the place, basically separating and breaking down.

Then I open my tool box drawer where I keep the grease gun. The entire bottom of the drawer and everything in it, including the grease gun is also covered in this thick red oil shit. All while sitting in the dark in my cool garage. WTF? Ummm....grease doesn't do this.

This stuff sucks. Don't be tempted/fooled, it's garbage. PSA for the day.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Really, WTF is this stuff? I bought it thinking it would be a good quality, tough, hard-wearing grease.

Instead a few days later I find it leaking a thick red oil-like fluid all over the place, basically separating and breaking down.

Then I open my tool box drawer where I keep the grease gun. The entire bottom of the drawer and everything in it, including the grease gun is also covered in this thick red oil shit. All while sitting in the dark in my cool garage. WTF? Ummm....grease doesn't do this.

one of my drawers in my toolbox is in the same state from the same grease.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I've had that issue before, cheapie walmart marine grease is what I've been using. It'll also hold up through water..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Yea, I keep my grease gun with it on a hook over my workbench. The red starts dripping out the bottom of the gun and trigger connection about every three days of wiping it dry. I leave a rag directly under it since I'm not faithful on checking. Switching brands when I run out.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

I had the same thing happen to me, luckily I put the gun back in its box, and the box stayed in the plastic bag I brought it home from the store in. The gun was covered the box was ruined but at least the bag kept it out of my tool box and work bench.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Rock God

Yes

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have it and I'm not overly impressed with it either. I think I'm going back to good ol' tried and true black moly grease.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post

Same thing happened when I used the Red stuff a while back. I changed to the Green Grease and I have been happy with it so far. A little pricey though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode