Purty Jeeps - are Wranglers next? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Purty Jeeps - are Wranglers next?

So lately there's been a flood of people on this forum (most of them new) asking things like where they can get black lug nuts to match their black wheels, some saying they really like the piano black interior accents, some complaining that the black leather gets damn hot with the roof panels off (hey at least he takes the panels out sometimes), putting on billet door handles and and hinges, asking where they can get a dual exhaust with chrome tips. And they're serious....

Man, I just don't get this shit at all. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your ride and customizing it a bit but WTF? Are these guys missing the point completely? In Colorado where you can throw a stick and hit 10 Jeeps, I cruise down the road with my top down and my half doors, no matter if its 45 or windy or even raining a bit and I love every minute of it. Sometimes with a hairy-assed mutt getting fur all over. For every one like me, there are 50 Rubicons that have had the rock rails replaced with factory plastic steps (so little Jimmy can get in) and color-matched hard tops that will NEVER be taken off even in the dead of summer. Or blinged-out Hummer wannabees that have never taken a gravel road, because they wouldn't want to scratch the chrome 22s.

My real fear is that the Wrangler is next to go truly upscale like EVERY other serious off-roader and cost 60k. Think about it....Nissan Patrol, Land Cruisers, Prados, Range Rover...they have all done it - started as simple, capable runabouts and now are leather-lined luxo barges. What's to keep the Wrangler from following suit? I hope like hell Jeep has the sense to keep a Wrangler a Wrangler for as long as they can, federal regs allowing. Otherwise I'm buying a couple used ones to drop in the garage and drive until I'm dead.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 04-24-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I agree, things are starting to get a bit soft. I'm not living on the edge enough to run with no top in 40* or 110*, but I am also not to worried about mud stained seats and rims gouged to shit. I must confess, I did recently do a sissy-mod which was Woods' door checks. I do like them and was tired of the damn door shutting on me all the time. I will redeem myself with 37s this Summer

I see these '12s running around with the new interior, which is nice and all, but the Rubicons with painted fenders and hard tops make me want to puke. I bought my Rubicon as a manual shift, soft top only, manual windows, manual locks...I sure as shit don't want it looking like a candy-ass color matched everything Hummer.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

I don't have high hopes for the future of the Wrangler. With the introduction of the four door came a whole new market and more demand for the soccer mom who always wanted a jeep. Not saying there is anything wrong with that but at some point Jeep is going to stop catering to the people who want to use the wrangler for it's intended purpose and start doing things like IFS and other stupid shit.

Look at the rest of the Jeep line up. The Cherokee was replaced by the Liberty The Grand Cherokee got IFS and IRS not to mention the price skyrocketing.

It's only a matter of time until a REAL Jeep is just a thing of the past like everything else awesome in this world. I can't say I blame them, they are a company after all and if they can make more money cattering to the mall crawlers and soccer moms who want a cushy ride than I'm sure that's what they will do.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I agree, things are starting to get a bit soft. I'm not living on the edge enough to run with no top in 40* or 110*, but I am also not to worried about mud stained seats and rims gouged to shit. I must confess, I did recently do a sissy-mod which was Woods' door checks. I do like them and was tired of the damn door shutting on me all the time. I will redeem myself with 37s this Summer

I see these '12s running around with the new interior, which is nice and all, but the Rubicons with painted fenders and hard tops make me want to puke. I bought my Rubicon as a manual shift, soft top only, manual windows, manual locks...I sure as shit don't want it looking like a candy-ass color matched everything Hummer.
But you see Goody, your door check mod is functional. So you get a hall pass on that one. I've had to scramble out of the Jeep on a steep rocky hill before to look for a line and those doors will come back and try to kill you, so I know where you're at. I'm with you though....my '12 Sport has half doors and a soft top only, stamped steel wheels I don't care about gouging on granite, it's got that nice new interior....with the sun beating on it and a nice layer of road dust on the dash. The only options are an auto to help with difficult technical trails (a decision I'm still questioning) and Sirius radio. That's it. No fluff.

All I can do when I see these color-matched boxes with permanent tops is shake my head and be glad that there will be a glut of un-abused Wranglers on the marker when I need to stock up.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #5 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Can't see wrangler going too soft.
Current model is most capable so far.
If they add some luxury to it too, so be it but I'm glad for the mechanical aspects they keep improving.

And yes, plenty of well preserved used models will be available for quite some time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Well I must confess. I'm new, got the color-matched Speedlined hardtop, selling the soft top. But I intend to take mine offroad: gravel, mud, dirt, shit, chicken coop, doesn't matter. I have reasoning behind everything on my vehicle. All of my shit is functional, or serves a purpose (except those damn Mopar sliders, those are going). Needed the four-door for the wife and three dogs to head to beach in, go to the mountains, do whatever...don't think her Tahoe LTZ would cut it on the beach. But yeah, I like my shit looking good. Not that I need to justify my rig to anyone...no need...I'm not a rock crawler.

I do agree that Jeep needs to keep the Jeep (Wrangler) spartan, like the two TJ's I had before...roll-up windows, manual locks, etc. And give the customer more offroad options and keep the non-essentials out of it.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #7 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

Just look at it this way - 10 years or so, once Jeep REALLY crosses the line and allows some motherfucker to order a Jeep Wrangler in 2WD ... Hang on... I'm being told.... OK, I'm being told this is already the case. OK, so once they REALLY REALLY cross some other imaginary line in the sand that midfucks every Jeep owner, like shipping diesel Wranglers all over the world but not permitting them to be sold in the USA ... hang on again... I am now informed that this is also the case as well.

Anyay... In 10 years, when Jeeps just aren't "cool" enough for these nitwits anymore, you'll have a TON of low mile Jeeps to choose from.

But for now, fuck you Jeep/Daimler Chrysler and your stupid cracker ass cracker management style, asshats.
Yeah, I said it. And I'd say it again too.

post #8 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
OK, so once they REALLY REALLY cross some other imaginary line in the sand that midfucks every Jeep owner, like shipping diesel Wranglers all over the world but not permitting them to be sold in the USA ... hang on again..
I highly doubt Jeep has a whole lot to do with that, not NEARLY as much as the "EPA" and legislature does. I bet the Euro Diesels won't "pass" US emissions standards for a diesel in a vehicle of that size/weight.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I highly doubt Jeep has a whole lot to do with that, not NEARLY as much as the "EPA" and legislature does. I bet the Euro Diesels won't "pass" US emissions standards for a diesel in a vehicle of that size/weight.
So what you're saying is that despite the "can do" spirit that The Jeep was built on, we're just not even gonna punt on this issue, we'll just let the other team take over on downs. Awesome.

I'm saying that if the company would recognize its own fuckin roots and remember that people like us are the ones who've kept them in business for over 70 years (ok, maybe not the WHOLE time...) they would probably get back to basics with at least ONE friggin vehicle in the line up. Make it big or small enough to cram a diesel into and have it pass emsissions (much like the diesel Liberty - available here in America, IIRC) then strip it down for weight - power NOTHING comes standard. manual trans and the beefiest beef they've got for offroad capability as far as axles, tires, wheels transfer cases, gears, factory winch maybe. almost NO options, so you can make it cost effective as fuck since the money's in after market parts on these things and we all know it. And they'd make a killing because the price point would be low as fuck so even college kids could own them again. None of this 2dr/4dr debate shit - 2 door only. This thing is an homage to what made Jeep great, after all (prolly sounds a little funny coming from a 4DR guy) cheap vehicles that can go wherever the fuck those 4 wheels will fit.

/rant

post #10 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
put the blutec motor in the wrangler...it will fit...no more problems

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #11 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

That would be nice. Who do we ask for this small favor, mr. Frenchie? There are plenty of diesels that Jeep has access to...I don't think that's the issue, nor the EPA. All the foreign companies have diesels in the US. Chrysler/Jeep needs to focus more on engine development than bringing the fucking Fiat over here...and lower the damn curb weight.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #12 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisaMent View Post
That would be nice. Who do we ask for this small favor, mr. Frenchie? There are plenty of diesels that Jeep has access to...I don't think that's the issue, nor the EPA. All the foreign companies have diesels in the US. Chrysler/Jeep needs to focus more on engine development than bringing the fucking Fiat over here...and lower the damn curb weight.
fiats are

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #13 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

its already happening!

have you looked at a COD MW3?

logos on the seats, badges on the fenders - and before anyone jumps in a says "But its got AEV accessories - the AEV stuff is NON FUNCTIONAL!
they neutered the parts for use on the MW3.

The hood doesnt have a vent, just a bump in it
the rear bumper doesnt have a carrier - still hanging the spare on the gate
so its purely appearance only for $50,000!!

dealer by me has 4 of them sitting on the lot and I imagine they will be sitting there for a long time.

they sell the hell out of JKs, but I don't see those $50K video game themed rigs flying off the lot in small town west texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #14 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

I gotta disagree close to 100% with you. No disrespect meant, just a difference of opinion.

I've got what you would conciser "bling" products for sale on my site for Jeeps from 1955 CJ5s to 2012 JKs and all the CJs, YJs and TJ/LJs in between. Literally 1000s of "form over function" products you don't really "need". Chrome stuff, black stuff, aluminum stuff, plastic body armor for crying out loud and yes, cheapo retractable steps with convenient step pad for a 1976 CJ

Nothing is any different now than it was when the CJ2A came out in 1945. Well... other than the fact that many more people are buying jeeps (a good thing or the JK would not exist). The great thing about jeeps is that you can build them exactly how you want. There are 10s thousands of aftermarket parts available, it's all about personal choice, live and let live IMHO.

I think my jeep rocks and everyone else's jeep sucks because they are not what I would want. See where I am going here?

FYI my lug nuts are black, I did try to find some "pre-blacked" but gave up and rattle canned them.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #15 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
I gotta disagree close to 100% with you. No disrespect meant, just a difference of opinion.

I've got what you would conciser "bling" products for sale on my site for Jeeps from 1955 CJ5s to 2012 JKs and all the CJs, YJs and TJ/LJs in between. Literally 1000s of form over function products you don't really "need". Chrome stuff, black stuff, aluminum stuff, plastic body armor for crying out loud and yes, cheapo retractable steps with convenient step pad for a 1976 CJ

Nothing is any different now than it has was when the CJ2 came out in 1945. Well... other than the fact that many more people are buying jeeps (a good thing or the JK would not exist). The great thing about jeeps is that you can build them exactly how you want. There are 10s thousands of after market parts available, it's all about personal choice.

I think my jeep rocks and everyone else's jeep sucks because it's not what I want. See where I am going here?

FYI my lug nuts are black, I did try to find some "pre-blacked" but gave up and rattle canned them.
do you have a blutec?

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #16 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
its already happening!

have you looked at a COD MW3?

logos on the seats, badges on the fenders - and before anyone jumps in a says "But its got AEV accessories - the AEV stuff is NON FUNCTIONAL!
they neutered the parts for use on the MW3.

The hood doesnt have a vent, just a bump in it
the rear bumper doesnt have a carrier - still hanging the spare on the gate
so its purely appearance only for $50,000!!

dealer by me has 4 of them sitting on the lot and I imagine they will be sitting there for a long time.

they sell the hell out of JKs, but I don't see those $50K video game themed rigs flying off the lot in small town west texas
i hear you...dealer by me did the jk8 conversion on a sport...wants 52k for it...bushwacker fenders, 33s 2.5 spacer lift....but the tub is bedlined

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #17 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think he's more talking about JKs going down the road of the super luxo "tuxedo edition" Rams, and the Denali Pickups.
The make it a luxury car, only bigger with a triple price tag

Quote:
post #18 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I think he's more talking about JKs going down the road of the super luxo "tuxedo edition" Rams, and the Denali Pickups.
i know...i was joking...but i did put ketrol chrome all over my 92 yj grille, hinges, mirrors the works...thought it was cool when i was 17...would i do it to my jk? no...but to each his own...i dont think we should be debating what color lug nuts and billet accents on here though...a little mundane if you ask me...

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #19 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

What's wrong with black lugs?? I bought some. I like the idea of all black. So I bought black wheels and black lugs. Who cares. But I feel you on the chrome though. I took mine off right after I bought my Jeep. Wanted to slap everyone at the dealership for putting it on in the first place.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #20 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

We all want our shit to look good - just people's ideas of what looks good vary pretty wildly.

I just share the concern that Jeep will jump on the luxo profit train and decide independent suspension is a much plusher ride for a $60k SUV and a solid, non removable roof won't leak on ostrich skin leather and wool carpet. So they begin to sacrifice what makes it a Jeep for what makes it more benz competition.

Quote:
post #21 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Still not sure why that's bad? Lots of pre JK guys think the 07-10 JK interior is "fancy". This whole argument sounds like the it's not a real Jeep because it has square headlights, front coil springs or 4 doors to me.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #22 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Still not sure why that's bad? Lots of pre JK guys think the 07-10 JK interior is "fancy". This whole argument sounds like the it's not a real Jeep because it has square headlights, front coil springs or 4 doors to me.
because that road could lead to the Wrangler becoming the luxury Compass

Quote:
post #23 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech777 View Post
What's wrong with black lugs?? I bought some. I like the idea of all black. So I bought black wheels and black lugs. Who cares.
A friend of mine and another vendor on here laughs at me for my black fetish. He calls it black chrome

Here's when you know you maybe addicted, I took my winch apart and painted all the silver parts black. I took all the door locks off and painted them too, pretty much almost everything silver

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #24 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I do the same thing but when its convenient - if I have something already apart that's shiny, it gets bedlined.
If its pretty easy to take apart and its shiny - it gets bedlined.
If I'm REALLY bored, then I might take bigger stuff apart to bedline it.

Quote:
post #25 of 108 Old 04-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
A friend of mine and another vendor on here laughs at me for my black fetish. He calls it black chrome

Here's when you know you maybe addicted, I took my winch apart and painted all the silver parts black. I took all the door locks off and painted them too, pretty much almost everything silver
I'm going down that road too. But since my ride is all black, does that mean I'll never go wheeling?? No. I'll def wheel. Just want my Jeep to look how I want. Not how the masses want. If everyone else paid for my Jeep then yeah tell me all day what I "need to do".

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode