Smittybilt - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Smittybilt

I have been looking at cages for the last couple of weeks. Callled Smittybilt for pics of how their cage goes around the dash. The cage which is on there website with a part number is not available. Said it will be available beginning of summer. I have been down this road before, summer turns into fall. Fall turns into 2013 and so on. WTF do they create part numbers and advertise as a sales tool. In all actuality I'm glad it is working out this way. Their cheap, ill fitting parts would have not been a good product anyway.

EVO King Coil overs on front 3.5" Rock Krawler springs Radflo shocks on rear, RK Long Arm, ARB Stubby front, DNA rear winch bumper, 37" Super Swamper M16 on Raceline Monster Beadlocks, Rockhard 4X4 cage......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

It's not surprising, they advertised this "cage" like 2 years ago...there is no way in hell I'd put a "Smittybilt Sport Cage" in my Jeep. If there was anything that was just for looks, I'd consider it to be that..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
JKowners Vendor

They did come out with the cage 2 years ago, but Rockhard4x4 sued them, thats why it got held up so long.

The one for the 07-10 4 Door is the only one available at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

In all actuality I'm glad it isn't available. It was a wake up call to remind me of how crappy their products are. Much less their research techniques. Why did I ever considered buying a Chinese made POS to protect my kids. I just need to get the tubing bender out and make what I want.

EVO King Coil overs on front 3.5" Rock Krawler springs Radflo shocks on rear, RK Long Arm, ARB Stubby front, DNA rear winch bumper, 37" Super Swamper M16 on Raceline Monster Beadlocks, Rockhard 4X4 cage......
post #5 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OR-Fab has a new sport cage, looks alot like the rock hard.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #6 of 24 Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
OR-Fab has a new sport cage, looks alot like the rock hard.
New as in redesigned? Or new as in for the '11-'12 models that I see on their site?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #7 of 24 Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That second one. As far as i can tell it's just adapted to the dash.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #8 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Tan Rubicon View Post
In all actuality I'm glad it isn't available. It was a wake up call to remind me of how crappy their products are. Much less their research techniques. Why did I ever considered buying a Chinese made POS to protect my kids. I just need to get the tubing bender out and make what I want.
I think that they have improved the quality of the parts (based on the current bumpers that are pretty nice) but NO WAY would I put a cage in my rig made in China. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Poision Spyder cage and Polly weld in rear cage parts. That should be pretty fair protection.

I would never buy a top of any kid from them. I had one for my TJ and it lasted less than a year before the stitching started to come undone. And the zippers were a bitch to deal with.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Just make one out of PVC pipe... it will offer the same protection as the Smittybilt one !!!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I think that they have improved the quality of the parts (based on the current bumpers that are pretty nice) but NO WAY would I put a cage in my rig made in China. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Poision Spyder cage and Polly weld in rear cage parts. That should be pretty fair protection.
I have the current bumper. I have to disagree with you. It is a rattling POS. I sold it this morning to fund a Fab Fours, so now front and rear will match.

BTW it was a moment of weakness that I even considered it.

post #11 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have the current bumper. I have to disagree with you. It is a rattling POS. I sold it this morning to fund a Fab Fours, so now front and rear will match.

With a little innovation, my Smittybilt XRC rear swing is 100% rattle free.

post #12 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:

I know that some guys have had rattle issues with them but the key seems to be in the adjustment of the swingout latch. But I run a Fab Fours and it is 100% trouble free so you will be very happy with it

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 04-26-2012 at 11:41 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Granite Guru

It's DOM tubing guys. A lot of manufacturers don't even have this as a sport cage. I don't know what all this hate is about. Compared to other non DOM tubing what's the problem. There isn't any crappy 90 degree fittings like other makers

09 Sahara Unlimited
4.88 gears, 6 speed. 4 inch Teraflex with control arms
SB rock rails, stinger, tire carrier, and 10k winch, line x
35 Baja Claws, 17 XD Hoss wheels, backup cam, lights!
list goes on and on......

Last edited by Silverjk12; 04-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverjk12 View Post
It's DOM tubing guys. A lot of manufacturers don't even have this as a sport cage. I don't know what all this hate is about. Compared to other non DOM tubing what's the problem. There isn't any crappy 90 degree fittings like other makers
Do you have pictures of said cage?

HREW is accepted by NHRA in vehicles that have a non-modified firewall and floor at 10.00 in the 1/4mile. Which would put a vehicle at about 140?mph...that should be sufficient for me.

post #15 of 24 Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
that's a plus...

any self tappers into the cross bar?

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #16 of 24 Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
that's a plus...

any self tappers into the cross bar?
hmmm

post #17 of 24 Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Forget about the engineering or the materials. The fact that it's made by the Chicoms makes it a non-starter for me.

I just don't understand how people can look past the damage the "cheap shit from China" has done to our country. I understand if you need to buy a necessary item and you can't find one made in the USA.

But stuff for your Jeep can (and is) made here competitively.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #18 of 24 Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Odd how mine never rattled even with the heavy ass 37" Toyo MT.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #19 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBROCUN View Post
Forget about the engineering or the materials. The fact that it's made by the Chicoms makes it a non-starter for me.

I just don't understand how people can look past the damage the "cheap shit from China" has done to our country. I understand if you need to buy a necessary item and you can't find one made in the USA.

But stuff for your Jeep can (and is) made here competitively.
Don't buy any other suspension besides rough country then. Even then, everything is built in china some way or another. There was a huge Teraflex debate earlier that it's Chinese and then " finished" the products here to give it the old u s of a stamp lol

09 Sahara Unlimited
post #20 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Don't buy any other suspension besides rough country then. Even then, everything is built in china some way or another. There was a huge Teraflex debate earlier that it's Chinese and then " finished" the products here to give it the old u s of a stamp lol
Can't speak for TF, but I can for several suspension manufacturers who make their stuff right here. Rock Krawler is made in upstate New York. Trail Master is made in Chino Valley, AZ. Synergy is made here.

And from AEV's website:

You might expect this level of professional design, engineering, testing, and manufacturing to result in a premium price, and you‘d be right. We are never going to compete on price with mass market brands that are built overseas, and that’s okay with us. There are plenty of low cost options out there, but AEV customers recognize that the quality, function, and longevity of our products provide great value, despite the higher initial cost. Many of our customers have already tried the lower end brands and now realize that they would rather build their Jeep once and enjoy using it rather than working on their Jeep every weekend, fixing or replacing parts.

The suspension manufacturers are just one segment. Want bumpers? A stinger, or a tire carrier? You don't have to look hard to find that the better stuff is made here.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #21 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Can't speak for TF, but I can for several suspension manufacturers who make their stuff right here. Rock Krawler is made in upstate New York. Trail Master is made in Chino Valley, AZ. Synergy is made here.

And from AEV's website:

You might expect this level of professional design, engineering, testing, and manufacturing to result in a premium price, and you‘d be right. We are never going to compete on price with mass market brands that are built overseas, and that’s okay with us. There are plenty of low cost options out there, but AEV customers recognize that the quality, function, and longevity of our products provide great value, despite the higher initial cost. Many of our customers have already tried the lower end brands and now realize that they would rather build their Jeep once and enjoy using it rather than working on their Jeep every weekend, fixing or replacing parts.
Very true. I like poly. Just installed their ball joints and wow did it solve my bump steer

09 Sahara Unlimited
post #22 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
AEV

post #23 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 06:08 AM
JKO Addict!

^^^^thats funny right thar

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #24 of 24 Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Granite Guru

I picked up a set of Smittybilt rock rails a few weeks ago from someone on Craigslist. Took the Jeep out last weekend and BARELY touched the passenger side on a rock... And when I say barely I mean it wasn't even enough to scratch the paint on the rock rail. I now have a huge dent under the rock rail where it bent up into my rocker panel You get what you pay for I suppose. The sad part of it is that it cause more damage than it protected. Had it not been on I wouldn't have even hit that rock.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.

Last edited by svtmaniac; 05-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode