Fuck Fucking Fuck - RK & Northridge & Me - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fuck Fucking Fuck - RK & Northridge & Me

Fuck me first and foremost for just not replacing my bent tie rod with a stock version. I had to be fucking billy bad ass and get and upgraded one. I figured the stock one was already $120 so why not just drop a couple of extra bones and not have to worry about that piece of shit again.

I wanted to go with the poly tie rod since it has ends and is adjustable. Problem was nobody had it in stock this week and I wanted to have my rig ready for a Sunday ride with my off-road club.

Northridge did have the RK Tie-Rod in stock at $280. I was concerned about having to buy new tie rod ends at $120 a pair but Sean said I didn't need to. He said they use the stock tie rod ends all of the time. I knew better but wanted to believe so I paid the extra $40 for 3 day shipping to have it here today for Roco 4x4 (God bless them) to install.

It's Friday and my new tie rod arrives. I did end up having to use new ends as anticipated but now the steering stabilizer mount doesn't fit. After talking with RK they said the 2010 and up models need a different stabilizer clamp. FUCK ME! We are 3 model years into a different tie rod clamp and RK doesn't advertise that on their site? Shit, they don't even offer a clamp for sale. Northridge apparently wasn't aware that it needed another clamp or didn't bother to tell me. So here goes another $50 for a piece of shit skyjacker clamp because unfortunately the poly one wouldn't fit either.

Tie Rod: $280
Shipping: $40
New Ends: $120
Stabilizer clamp: $50
Install: $75

So here I am at $565 for a fucking aluminum bar. Fuck me fuck me fuck me. I'm an idiot.

RK: We're still cool. I love your products. Just make a fucking clamp for the thing and tell the 2010 and up people that they will need it if they want to run a stabilizer (being that mine is a DD I do want to run one)

Northridge: I have spent more money with you than anybody else and it's over. All of those fags over at jk-forum are foaming at the mouths ready to suck you off and I seriously don't get it. I write you a nice little heads up note about the issues and you just want to pass it along to Sean (Sean, you're a good guy but your ignorance fucked me on this one.) Dave, you could have just replied "my bad" or "we'll make note of that, thanks for the heads up". But it's cool. I understand that you don't care that I'm out $170 because of the ignorance of your staff. Maybe you should take down that banner on your website that says "Jeep Technicians. We install what we sell" because it really doesn't mean shit when it comes time to lay down my hard earned, and long saved dollars.

But like I said it at first and I'll close with it as well. FUCK ME! My own ignorance lead me into this mess and I'm the one that has to pay for it (literally)

Oh, let see how hard I get screwed by the Alignment guy tomorrow when he has to dismount my new tie rod to adjust it and get my shit straight. Maybe this whole ordeal will cost me over $700 and my wife will never let me into the bank account again.

Last edited by JKNemo; 04-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Hey, Man, it's a business. What do you want, truth in advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

What if the alignment guy won't do it because he has to take the tie rod off to adjust it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

What ends did you buy for $120? My moogs were less then half that much
And you paid 75$ for a tie rod install that didn't include an alignment?
Not poking just asking questions

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #5 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah. I heard Dave has a Coexist sticker on his JK too.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #6 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
What ends did you buy for $120? My moogs were less then half that much
And you paid 75$ for a tie rod install that didn't include an alignment?
Not poking just asking questions
Quote from Rock Krawler site: *Requires the purchase of two OEM Tie Rod Ends from the JK stock drag link at the Pitman arm location. The OEM part number is 52060049AE. Do not use a substitute part from Moog or anyone else.

I've read about people buying moogs for the rk tie bar and not fitting.

$75 for install: Roco 4x4 does not do alignments. I was charged the minimum 1 hr labor. I could have done it shade tree but didn't have the time before Sunday and it never goes as smoothly as one leads themselves to believe. Case in point: the stabilizer clamp
post #7 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Wait what? Your stock tre's didn't work so you bought stock tre's that did?

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Wait what? Your stock tre's didn't work so you bought stock tre's that did?
JK stock drag link at the Pitman arm location, not stock tie rod link
post #9 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKNemo View Post
JK stock drag link at the Pitman arm location, not stock tie rod link
Once again in English this time lol

post #10 of 52 Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Once again in English this time lol
OEM JK Tie Rod Ends from the drag link connection at the pitman arm. These TRE's are 1 inch shank units and are much stronger than the OEM JK tie rod ends on the factory tie rod.

Basically same thing but bigger version that is stock on another part of the steering
post #11 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So I had it aligned today for $99 since he had to take the tie rod off.

Final total 665 plus $25 on taxes for a grand total of $695. grrrrr.
post #12 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Quote from Rock Krawler site: *Requires the purchase of two OEM Tie Rod Ends from the JK stock drag link at the Pitman arm location. The OEM part number is 52060049AE. Do not use a substitute part from Moog or anyone else.

I've read about people buying moogs for the rk tie bar and not fitting.

$75 for install: Roco 4x4 does not do alignments. I was charged the minimum 1 hr labor. I could have done it shade tree but didn't have the time before Sunday and it never goes as smoothly as one leads themselves to believe. Case in point: the stabilizer clamp
I have Moog ends on my Rock Krawler tie rod. Therefore I say you over-paid for those ends you bought when Moogs will work; search probably would have turned that up.

$75 install would have been there regardless of what tie rod you went with, so that can't be held against them. You got screwed by that shop because they didn't even set the toe for that, IMO. Same goes for the shipping, I bet the Poly bar would be the same to ship....but doesn't NorthRidge have free shipping over $100??

New $50 SS mount probably wasn't the fire drill you made it out to be. Just because you didn't have the one they supply the u-bolts for, doesn't mean there aren't 8,000 of them sitting in peoples garages that you could probably get for free. So I say another $50 on your rant isn't completely applicable. PITA because you had to source one, but not life changing or something that will keep your rig from going down the road.

IMO it seems your bitching should be down to:

$565
-$75 for install, because any tie rod you got you would have paid that for.
-$40 shipping, because it costs that much to ship regardless of brand + doesn't Northride ship free over $100??
-$50 SS mount because it wasn't vital and was on you to spend that much on it. I bet I could have one by the end of the afternoon by posting on the local JK board for free.
-$120 Mopar ends
+$50 for Moog ends (From what I have read there was a bad batch of Moogs at one point and you should inspect what you have)

So IMO you have about $370 in it. Poly is $325 + s/h so you'd be about at the same price.

Just my observations.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
post #13 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So I had it aligned today for $99 since he had to take the tie rod off.

Final total 665 plus $25 on taxes for a grand total of $695. grrrrr.
Once again, bitching about things you'd have to do regardless of what tie rod you bought...and because you don't have a friend or tape measure I guess. ....and I bet they didn't tighten the jam nuts in the proper sequence to set where the tie rod will lie when straight. Just to add to it..

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-14-2012 at 09:27 AM.
post #14 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Yeah. I heard Dave has a Coexist sticker on his JK too.
Well that tears it. I'm buying from Christian @ JustJeepGear.com from now on.
He hates everyone equally.

post #15 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Anybody can bitch about anything at any time...that being said, did you have a chat with David shortly before you posted this? During that conversation did he tell you to piss up a rope and go fuck yourself? Mistakes happen, and when they cost money it makes me angry. During the time that I have donated money to David's child's college fund I have never been fucked off.
I had to ask him to order me a tie rod while in Moab, when it showed up his people installed the thing for me at 7pm so I could make it for a night run. These are not the actions of a company that want to line their pockets with my money.
I'm sorry for your situation, and I feel for you...I'm just not sold on the idea that Northridge4x4 screwed you. If you have additional details, please share. If you dont, perhaps you're venting in the wrong direction.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?

Last edited by Nwapache; 04-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.
post #16 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Rock God

I don't understand why you would pay someone for an install and toe alignment.

It isn't like a regular tie-rod with infinite toe adjustment. It takes only a few minutes to loosen the end, drop it, turn it, and reinstall it. It is more simple even than adjusting a stock or Poly tie-rod.

You probably took more time driving to and from the 4x4 shop and the alignment shop than it takes to do the actual install and alignment DIY.

You measure your front tires for a DIY alignment to get somewhere between 1/16" and 1/4":

JK toe-in alignment tips - YouTube

You have a very nice aluminum tie rod that will flex instead of bend when it hits rocks/obstacles. It will be less blunt on your rod ends. They should last longer than the Poly ends.

Even if Northridge and RK had known to tell you that the steering stabilizer clamp was different on newer models, you would have bought the RK tie-rod anyway in order to wheel this weekend.

You could have wheeled this weekend without a steering stabilizer and later, found a free one like Goody said.

I would not blame Sean, David, or RK. I have seen and personally experienced all of them going substantially beyond the call of duty to help jeepers and make things right.

post #17 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Most from end alignments are 40-75 bucks too

Next time slow down and think your way through the problem.

post #18 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I don't understand why you would pay someone for an install and toe alignment.
Because: Life is tough, tougher if you're stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

Last edited by toymaster; 04-14-2012 at 10:33 AM.
post #19 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I have Moog ends on my Rock Krawler tie rod. Therefore I say you over-paid for those ends you bought when Moogs will work; search probably would have turned that up.
I hear that from some local buddy's that installed before me over the last 2 years, but Moog has had a lot of problems of late.

I went thru 3 sets of Moogs at $20 or so each, and the threads looked like they threaded them in a WWII machine that needed new dies in 1950. They were very difficult to start, and would not thread in more than about 10-12 turns with a wrench and bind up like a MF. Vise, BA Wrench, me, 295#'s, It's not going any further.

So purchased the OEM's on line at for about $60 each delivered, and one threaded in by hand, and the other needed a little wrench help, probably because of what the Moog's did to the threads, but all is good now.

post #20 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #21 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Omfg that's hard to watch. Why does he put the impact down after pulling the tires. Just keep on Rollin and knock the nuts off too. And wacking the nut can bite you in the ass. If it doesn't go in 1 wack you can mess them up enough that you can't get the but off easily.

He should have zipped all the nuts off an wacked the knuckle on the end to shock the tre loose.

Geeze.

post #22 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
He should have zipped all the nuts off an wacked the knuckle on the end to shock the tre loose.

Geeze.
Yep.

I use this guy with my RK tie rod. When we want to leave the wheels straight and adjust the toe (turning the wheel to get a hammer on the knuckle) this little guy gets in there without hurting the boot. Goes for $10 or so on sale, pretty handy when reusing joints, on the drag link/pitman arm/etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

post #23 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Rock God

If you need tie rod ends just go this route:

http://www.partsmike.com/tech-help/tr-dl-id/

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php and depending on which ones you use you could be tie rod ends out the door for under $30.

post #24 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Granite Guru

I gotta say, after reading this whole thread, it makes me happy knowing that I don't have to go through all those "Growing Pains" again. I went with a RK on sale, and a set of Moogs; in fact, there was 3 Tie Rods, and 3 sets of Moogs, and they all fit. My buddy and I upgraded, and bought one for another friend for Christmas.

I gotta say, there is alot to be said for saving money, if you have just a little mechanical aptitude, and time. I think I was in for $275/ea, including the ends.

I learned how to use a measuring tape, and set the new one to the stock length, and saved $100.00 on the alignment shop. Never had a problem since, and it's been at least a year.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #25 of 52 Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Maybe this whole ordeal will cost me over $700 and my wife will never let me into the bank account again.

Pussy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode