I'm Done with KM2s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm Done with KM2s

From the begining, 2nd jeep didn't come with much for rubber so I took some advice from the local 4x shop and went with some 35x12.50x15 KM2s. 1st trip out, slice a side wall. Suck it up, pass it off as my bad luck, buy new one. Buy JK, comes with 3/4 worn 35x12.50x17 KM2s. Not sure what to replace them with but after a few months having the jeep they seem to be quiet and wearing/riding good. Research here and elsewhere and decide to go with KM2s again. 3000 miles and 3 wheelin trips later, another sidewall. Replace. 1000 miles later and 2 wheelin trips later, another sidewall tear. Buy another. Last Friday, and the next trip wheelin, another sidewall. Another new KM2. SUNDAY, the day after getting new KM2, ANOTHER SIDE WALL!

I'll give BFG a little credit, after some whining at Discount tire BFG goodwilled 2 of the tires at half price and I bought tire certs from Discount on the next 2 but I'm done with KM2s. I'm having new Nitto Trail Grapplers installed tomorrow.

Soon to be for sale, 2 BFG KM2 35x12.50x 17s with 18/32s tread.
Attached Images

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jrider; 03-05-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Rock God

I recognized that the KM2's had weak sidewalls back in 07 when I tore up 2 of them in 1 weekend. Same size as you. Also tore up 1 Pitbull Mad Dog radial. Now running bias Iroks and no issues.
post #3 of 58 Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Rock God

I lost a KM2 last weekend. First major trip out on them too. I picked up a used one from a local guy for a 30 pack to use as a spare. As soon as I lose another or wear out the other 4 I'm going a different route.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Hmm.... funny. I have never seen, on the trail, a KM2 with a sidewall tear, but have seen a few of the ones with Kevlar reinforcement tear.

I think, no matter what tire you get, your wheeling style is going to keep you with the same experience of tearing through sidewalls. Not knowing, but seeing you have gone through several, I'd guess you like to climb walls with your sidewalls? I use my sidewalls a ton for traction and have only tore through one once on the JK on MTR/Ks. I don't recommend those tires due to stiff sidewalls, but they may work in your scenario?
post #5 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

BFG isnt worth a damn IMO.... Goodyear, Toyo, Nitto and even the newest to the group Pitbull are great! I am looking between BFG and GY and the pros for GY and the cons for BFG made my decision extremely easy!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #6 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The part that irritates me is that I'm not a right pedal heavy trash your rig kinda wheeler. Several of the guys I wheelin with are in beat up, non street legal XJs and they bounce and spin up stuff while I try to crawl with as little wheel spin as necessary.

I lost the first 2 at 15psi and was told that 15 wasn't low enough to really allow the sidewall to flex out of the way. Next one was at 11psi and this last on was at 32psi on a dirt road.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Pretty interesting you have killed three, I really haven't had any problems with the sidewalls on my KM2s. Is the area wet with sharp rocks? That can kill most any tire with some wheel spin.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Look closer, there are 4.

There was 1 that I was going up a semi steep and slick little hill that I clipped a rock at the top. That one is the only one that I even kinda under stand having it happen on. 2 of them I had no idea what happened, but I know I didn't make it more than 50 yards either time before they were flat.

Oh, and as far as the area, one in Idaho, one in Colorado, and now 2 in Tennessee. (I know that's not really what you were looking for)

post #9 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
pros for GY and the cons for BFG
PROS and CONS? The only con to the BFG that I can think up is the less than advertised sizing.... what else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
The part that irritates me is that I'm not a right pedal heavy trash your rig kinda wheeler. Several of the guys I wheelin with are in beat up, non street legal XJs and they bounce and spin up stuff while I try to crawl with as little wheel spin as necessary.

I lost the first 2 at 15psi and was told that 15 wasn't low enough to really allow the sidewall to flex out of the way. Next one was at 11psi and this last on was at 32psi on a dirt road.
I don't think your right foot is the issue with these tires, more likely the use of sidewall for traction. When I had KM2s, I ran at 15 without issue and recall finding they were very nice to run at that pressure. IMO, lower and you ask for trouble without something to hold the bead.
post #10 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
PROS and CONS? The only con to the BFG that I can think up is the less than advertised sizing.... what else?

reviews that ive read state that the traction is not great, road manners not to par, tread life, road noise, just the name... etc the list goes on... and that is for BFG! plus i work for a car manufacturer and we have a lot of complaints with BFG!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #11 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

As much as I dislike this tire for what I use them for, I will disagree with road noise, road manners or tread life. If it weren't for weak sidewalls I'd recommend them to anyone who actually used them for thier intended purpose.

post #12 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
reviews that ive read state that the traction is not great, road manners not to par, tread life, road noise, just the name... etc the list goes on... and that is for BFG! plus i work for a car manufacturer and we have a lot of complaints with BFG!
Hmm.... interesting. I didn't feel the KM2 name had anything to do with the tire's performance. I didn't experience any of the other issues you have read about (links please)? What kind of complaints does the car company you work for receive on BFGs... specifically the KM2s?
post #13 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Rock God

I love my km2's. I run 37x12.5x17 at 12 psi offroad and have no issues. And I beat the FUCK out of my rig.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #14 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Hmm.... interesting. I didn't feel the KM2 name had anything to do with the tire's performance. I didn't experience any of the other issues you have read about (links please)? What kind of complaints does the car company you work for receive on BFGs... specifically the KM2s?
if you notice i only stated BFG... the KM2s i didnt hear too many bad things about but the brand in general.... now hey i am not one for bashing a company and have made MY decision with my GY tires! but that is what i found in my research.... now granted this was when i bought my stuff a little over a year ago so no i dont have the links any more and i am sorry for that!

to the OP i hope everything gets figured out for you and i am sorry about your experience!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #15 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Rock God

The one I lost was at 15 psi coming up a steep loose climb. I walked back down the trail and couldn't find what caused it. Oddly enough, in the rock gardens I had just come through they worked like a champ.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #16 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sounds like you got some bad voo doo vibe going on. 4 tires??? Maybe the good Dr. might chime in, I know he's got good experience with KM2's.
Like it if you'd keep this updated if you find a tire that holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
I sometimes miss 70's bush
post #17 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm sitting at Hooters across from Discount Tire while my new Nitto Trail Grapplers are being mounted up.

post #18 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
if you notice i only stated BFG... the KM2s i didnt hear too many bad things about but the brand in general.... now hey i am not one for bashing a company and have made MY decision with my GY tires! but that is what i found in my research.... now granted this was when i bought my stuff a little over a year ago so no i dont have the links any more and i am sorry for that!!
Gotcha. Like hearing all kinds of experiences, good and bad. It's the only way we can all make informed decisions... and even then, many reviewers are tainted with defense of purchase (is there a term for that?). Thanks for your insider info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
I'm sitting at Hooters across from Discount Tire while my new Nitto Trail Grapplers are being mounted up.
Nice... problem solved! (hopefully)
post #19 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Bad Luck Tires

I've got 35" 12.50 17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. After many a long hour looking and researching tires for my 2011 Rubicon with a 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex Shortarm lift kit. I belive that the Nitto's are about the best you can buy(opinion) with your money. I've always said "you get what you pay for" and with that being said, the Nitto's match with what I'm using them for 80-90% daily driver(road) and 10-20% off roading.

First, on the highway no matter the speed they are quite considering the aggressive nature of the tire. Second, when used to go trough the snow 10-12 inch at a time snow fall, they work well both in the snow and on the ice. Do what I did and that is read and look at each tire manufacturere and choose the right tire for what you are going to be using them for(road-trail) and pick the one that best matches your requirements.

Bottom line: You will not go wrong with switching from your old brand to Nitto's
post #20 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 09:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #21 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Rock God

I gave up on BFG ats after millions of miles on several jeeps due to my perceptions that the sidewalls were exposed and I had several failures and I swore they picked up a lot of nails......my mtr kevlars are beaten but holding up well......did see a firend wiht kms2 loose a valve stem spinning tires in the mud/sand....fwiw
post #22 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Price...
i didnt remember that one!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #23 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just drove about about 30 miles home and I will say they're a little noisier than the KM2s but not a lot. They are @ 35 psi and a little squirly but my km2s were at 35 as well. 32 always worked better for me and I'll adjust the new ones down to see if they're similar.

post #24 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

nice! congrats, enjoy and tell us how you like them down the road!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #25 of 58 Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I keep mine at 32 for dd use

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode