Don't buy Eagle Alloy wheels for your JK! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
Don't buy Eagle Alloy wheels for your JK!

Boy did I make a mistake.

I bent 3 steel wheels while in Moab. So needless to say I had to replace some wheels. I figured this time I'd try out some alloy wheels to see if they are a little stronger than the stamped steelies.

So I finally found a set of wheels I somewhat liked in the aluminum. They were supposed to be black with a polished ring. What I got was polished with a black ring. Since I needed to have the Jeep drivable I went and got some paint figuring I'd probably have to paint them soon anyway.

This is what they were supposed to be.

What I got was this.

Now if that wasn't enough to irritate me, I found that my Staun bead lock wheels wouldn't work with these wheels at all because of the bead look ring on the wheel was directly over the valve stem. Meaning I could not remove or install the center of the valve stem with the valve stem installed and I certainly could not put an air hose on the valve stem to fill up the tires. The Staun bead lock uses a metal valve stem so I can't fold the valve stem over to fill tires with this bead look ring. So now I had to cut off part of the bead look ring to fill the tires.

Oh and the valve stem doesn't fit flush with the exterior of the wheel so only one section of the valve stem nut is applying pressure to the valve stem seal.

And the final straw! The back plate on the Eagle Alloy wheels is too large for the JK and the wheel rubs on the brake caliper!

I contacted Eagle Alloy via email and got no response. I called them and talked with 3 different people that said "too bad so sad". "Sorry you had faith in our product but we got your money so f-off".

You know I really didn't expect anything from them. Even a "we are so sorry about your problems but we will make note of it for future customers and we will sell you a set of wheels at a discount to make up for your problems". But instead I got a, "this is company policy and stance, maybe you should use a wheel spacer or have a machine shop grind on your wheels".

I guess at this point I am just pissed, not because I can't make the wheels work but because the company really doesn't give a rat sh1t about their customers.

So if you are in the market for wheels, I would strongly suggest that you avoid Eagle Alloys and their subsidiaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I had people question me about my problem with this wheel. Yes, I could have returned them for the correct color but that is not my big complaint. It is the fit of the wheel on the JK and the fact that you have to use a special valve stem (per the company) with this wheel.

But here are some pictures of the wheels.

Here you can see where the valve stem access is blocked by the ring of the bead look.

Almost no room at all to access the valve stem. Don't try to use any tire deflators here.

The wheel's base is too big and rubs on the brake caliper. This will create a lot of heat on the wheel and caliper until the wheel has clearanced itself on the caliper.

This is a copy of my "complaint" list I sent to the company.

1) Since the new Jeep JK is one of the few vehicles to ever and the only current model to have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern as far as I can tell, and that most wheel manufacturer’s are scrambling to make a new wheel to fit the new Jeep, I assumed that any wheel I order with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern will fit the new 5 on 5 bolt pattern from Jeep.

2) No where is it written in the instructions or on the website does it state that these wheels require a special valve stem. It does not state that steel valve stems can not be used. Again this is my assumption that since it does not say I can not use a metal valve stem then I must be able to use a metal valve stem. Since again I mounted these at home with a special application in mind my assumptions lead to my dissatisfaction with the final fit and forced me to modify the wheel if I intended to use the wheel. I would conclude that this valve stem placement and the ring location would make it difficult even with a shortened rubber valve stem to access the valve stem for filling/releasing or checking tire pressure. I sincerely doubt that any tire deflator product would even work give the limited space to access the valve stem.

3) A further note regarding the valve stem is that the valve stem does not sit perpendicular with the outside of the wheel. This indicates that the internal valve stem seal is not applying equal pressure along the rubber seal. This coupled with constant flexing of a rubber valve stem to access the valve stem for regular servicing will lead to premature failure of the valve stem or valve stem seal.

4) This wheel does not fit my JK. Now again I assumed that since this is a 5 on 5 bolt pattern then this would fit my JK. And to further complicate this, your website shows this wheel on an albeit, 2004, a Jeep Rubicon. However this wheel at the base and wheel mounting surface is too big for my application and is rubbing on the factory brake caliper.

So there is my problem/complaint with the company. If I got more wheels, even if they were Eagle Alloys, I would not purchase this design again.
post #3 of 38 Old 10-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Wheeler

I feel the pain Mike. Nothing irritates more than a company that does not know what customer service is. Eagle is off the list of companies I will do business with.
Not that it would work or would be worth the time, but have you gone to the BBB or tried small claims court?

You can make all the plans you want, just don't plan to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-28-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I didn't pursue it further but I did take Eagle off my list as well.

At the rate I am damaging these new wheels they will be lucky to make it past next May in Moab. So I will be replacing the wheels yet again. Only I'm going back to either inexpensive steel wheels or I am going to modify a inexpensive steel wheel to be near indestructable. I have also considered a custom wheel company such as Stockton Wheel.
post #5 of 38 Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 PM

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up Michael, I almost bought those exact wheels before I settled on some Pro Comps. Looks like I dodged a bullet on that one.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
...I have also considered a custom wheel company such as Stockton Wheel.
I have heard multiple horror stories about Stockton Wheel's service. Long delays and or incorrect builds. Just a heads up in case you decide to go that route.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 PM

I want to make sure I have this straight, you received the wrong wheel and did not return it for the correct one, you did not pre check the fitment of the wheel on your vehicle before mounting the tires and you are upset that these do not work with your internal beard locks that the wheel was not designed for. It this right?

Could you please explain to me how this is Eagle Alloy's fault?

From where I'm sitting it sounds to me like there is a long list of mistakes on your part.

-When you received the wrong wheels YOU should have returned them.

-YOU should have checked the fitment to your vehicle before mounting the tires.

-If the wheels will not work with your internal bead locks, to bad so sad. Go buy some new wheels, but i believe the pre fitment deal would have helped you here as well.

It doesn't really require a special stem, a 90 degree stem would work perfectly with this wheel. like it does on mine.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Welcome to the forum.

I read this duplicate post on another forum.

Actually this post is to warn other people with JK's from buying and attempting to use these wheels on their JK. Nothing more, nothing less.

Actually according to Eagle Alloy, they do recommend a special stem.

And as far as my replacement wheels, they are forth coming. These are not withstanding trail use as I dish out. The fakey-locks bolts are breaking off left and right plus the wheel trim/bead/valve stem protector ring is snapping off all over the place. Again just another reason why I would not recommend anyone purchasing these wheels.
post #9 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

Saw your duplicate post on another forum as well. Where you offered no reply once everyone agreed it was your mistake.

Still fail to see how any of these problems are Alloy's fault. These are not ment for your JK.

" your website shows this wheel on an albeit, 2004, a Jeep Rubicon."

You aren't posting about not purchasing just these wheels for a JK, you are posting not to buying from the manufacture.

"Don't buy Eagle Alloy"

Not " Don't buy such and such style from Eagle Alloy"

Trying to make the customer service look piss poor. What did you expect them to do? Replace the wheels? I am sure they would have been more than happy to return the incorrecllty shipped wheels and replace them with what you had originally ordered if you had asked. Prior to mounting tires. (Per the instructions in the box)

Your problems are not the manufactures errors they are yours, sorry. Don't like to see others bad mouthing a good company for their errors. I think you need to own this one.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Why J,

The great thing about these forums is being able to have a resource that I can read about people personal experiences with diffrent products, services and tricks.

One thing that frustrates me is when a member of the forum will bash a company publicly on a forum before giving the company a chance to make good on any mistakes that happen from time to time with any company.

MichaelW did try contacting the company on multiple occasions. NOt only did they not make good, they didn't even appologize.

I feel at that point, it is completley resonable to share with the other members of this forum his experience with the company. In addition, I truly appreciate him taking the time to point out that not only did he recieve poor customer service but there where a few other problems regarding valve stems, beadlocks and the "fake" locker ring bolts and fittment.

On top of ALL of this, these rims don't even fit anyway. He did suggest that the website was misleading by showing a TJ with these rims but he never claimed they said they would fit. I feel it is a fair warning to other JK owners to not buy these rims. Also, it gave me some insight on a few things to look for when I buy different rims that I would not have thought to look for.

He did openly admit his mistake on the valve stem. It appears it was not very clear though so I probably would have missed that as well. The company SHOULD do a etter job of communicating that as I would just assume the same.

In the end, he even said he would consider the company again but wouldn't get this model.

How could you be any more fair? This thread is completley resonable. No bashing has taken place. Every bit of info he gave was justified.
post #11 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM

WTF LOL,

While I can appreciate your view I will have to disagree. While the original error of shipping the wrong wheels may have been Alloy's, the further complications that Michael has experienced are directly linked to his own errors. I will explain why:

1) When MichaelW received the rims he should have test fitted the rims on the JK per the manufactures instruction.

2) When MichaelW chose the rims that are stated as fitting a Tj, not a Jk he was assuming they would fit.

3) He assumed that the wheels would work with his internal bead locks, and feels that alloy should have designed them to do so.

While MichaelW may have contacted Alloy, what do you think they should have done? With a set of rims that have had tires mounted, internal bead locks mounted and the rock rings cut and the inside rubbed by the caliper? All the while purchased by a customer that admitted that he saw they were for a Tj, but assumed they would fit.

Personally I would tell him to pound sand.

The moral of the story here is not "Don't buy Eagle Alloy wheels for your JK" As he has posted.

It should be "Don't assume that wheels meant for another Jeep that are incorrectly shipped to you will fit, and no a company will not take them back after you have mounted internal bead locks, tires, cut the rim and gouged the backs out on the calipers"

or: "Dont buy Eagle Alloy style XXX for your JK" and then proceed to do a write up on how not to purchase rims and what not to assume when wrong rims show up and why.

Do you think that if I received a lift for a Ford, did what I had to get it on my Jeep. Went rock crawling with it, then called the lift company and said... "Hey this Ford lift on my Jeep just doesn't seem to work, but I cut it up and gouged the crap out of it, I want my Money back." What are they suppose to do? Should post up how crappy the lift company is? That's what Michael is doing. He f'ed it up, he needs to take responsibility for it.

Edit:

How is the below statement saying he would buy another set of Eagle Alloys?

"I guess at this point I am just pissed, not because I can't make the wheels work but because the company really doesn't give a rat sh1t about their customers.

So if you are in the market for wheels, I would strongly suggest that you avoid Eagle Alloys and their subsidiaries."

Last edited by Why J?; 11-02-2007 at 01:16 PM.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Well, I see what you are saying and I still stand by what Isaid in my other post. There is nothing worse then internet arguing as we can post back and forth over details all day long until the thread is closed.

I think I would end with saying we agree to disagree then.

The funny thing is this, It is not Michael's posts that would keep me from buying from this company. It is the posts made by you that would make me never buy any products from this company
post #13 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I really don't get it. What is your malfunction? Are you saying I can't make a statement saying that these wheels don't fit a JK? Where in any place did I say I want my money pack and that Eagle should pay me back for them? Where did I say I didn't make them work for me? Where did I say it wasn't my responsibility. Where does it say that I am not using them today?

These wheels do not fit a JK. I sent an email to the company with my complaints and observations about them and they elected to ignore the email. Fine if that is how the company operates, then I say don't buy Eagle Alloy wheels. period. They apparently are not concerned with their customers and if I post a warning for all to read about my experience then all I have done is provide and experience and opinion to those that read it. It is just going to be some that think I shouldn't be able to express my view and provide an accounting of my experience to others. Again I didn't ask them for nothing other than to acknowledge they don't fit a JK but since they were not interested in this, then I feel I should warn other potential buyers of this problem.

I'm not really sure what part of this you missed but that was my goal, to warn others about this. And that is all I have done.
post #14 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
The funny thing is this, It is not Michael's posts that would keep me from buying from this company. It is the posts made by you that would make me never buy any products from this company
That's just stupid. Would you like a list of the products that I stand by, you could not buy from them as well. It would however make it difficult to build your rig.
post #15 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Gib
Rock God

So Why J?, are you going to be buying this same model of Eagle Alloy wheels for your JK? If not, then I think the point has gotten across. This model of wheel will not fit on the JK without modification. I can tell that because of the posts and pictures that Michael W posted. If it were not for that I may have purchased these same rims. Now I know to either look for a different model and try my luck with them, or to go with another company. His thread has served it's purpose.
post #16 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 PM

My problem it this:

You ordered a set of wheels style 137, that they as fitting an 04 Jeep. You right wheel different color than you ordered. I can see it happeing, shipping errors occur.

You mount up tires, internal bead locks, cut rings, yada yada. Ends up they don't fit, well crap you have all this invested now. What to do? You contact them , say so and so wheels suck and this is why. I'm am sure they ask if you have mounted tires? You say yes, they say company policy to bad so sad. You post up on internet. Eagle Alloy sucks, poor customer service, this company sucks.

Well I'm sorry to tell ya but all the problems you are having is because of you.

You ordered wrong rims. Tj not JK

You kept wrong color.

You mounted up tires with our mounting to Jk first.

You cut them.

You
You
YOU

You should have opened the box mounted a rim to the Jk and then realized that "hey these things don't really fit, guess I shouldn't have assumed they would." Not post up about why the company is at fault that you can't follow simple instructions and not assume that the Tj and Jk are the same.

You should have ordered style 140, designed for the JK, would they work with you r internal bead locks? No idea, would that be Alloy's fault? NO. Own the the responablilty. I'll also bet that a 90 degree valve stem isn't really that specality of a product at a tire shop.

Do I REALLY care? No, but DAMN does it piss me off when someone screws up and blames others.
post #17 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
So Why J?, are you going to be buying this same model of Eagle Alloy wheels for your JK? If not, then I think the point has gotten across. This model of wheel will not fit on the JK without modification. I can tell that because of the posts and pictures that Michael W posted. If it were not for that I may have purchased these same rims. Now I know to either look for a different model and try my luck with them, or to go with another company. His thread has served it's purpose.

You would have purchased rims for a Tj to go on your JK? Sweet.
post #18 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Gib
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
You would have purchased rims for a Tj to go on your JK? Sweet.
No, a TJ is 5 on 4.5 the JK is 5 on 5. The only other applications that uses 5 on 5 are the WK, XK, and for a non-Jeep truck or SUV is an old 2wd Chevy truck. SO it would make sense that if it is 5 on 5 in a current wheel design that definately looks like it belongs on a 4wd it should fit the JK. Also the WK and XK have even larger calipers and I'd be willing to bet that this wheel won't fit on them either.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Gib
Rock God

Quote:
My problem it this:

You ordered a set of wheels style 137, that they as fitting an 04 Jeep. You right wheel different color than you ordered. I can see it happeing, shipping errors occur.

You mount up tires, internal bead locks, cut rings, yada yada. Ends up they don't fit, well crap you have all this invested now. What to do? You contact them , say so and so wheels suck and this is why. I'm am sure they ask if you have mounted tires? You say yes, they say company policy to bad so sad. You post up on internet. Eagle Alloy sucks, poor customer service, this company sucks.

Well I'm sorry to tell ya but all the problems you are having is because of you.

You ordered wrong rims. Tj not JK

You kept wrong color.

You mounted up tires with our mounting to Jk first.

You cut them.

You
You
YOU

You should have opened the box mounted a rim to the Jk and then realized that "hey these things don't really fit, guess I shouldn't have assumed they would." Not post up about why the company is at fault that you can't follow simple instructions and not assume that the Tj and Jk are the same.

You should have ordered style 140, designed for the JK, would they work with you r internal bead locks? No idea, would that be Alloy's fault? NO. Own the the responablilty. I'll also bet that a 90 degree valve stem isn't really that specality of a product at a tire shop.

Do I REALLY care? No, but DAMN does it piss me off when someone screws up and blames others.
If they were designed for a TJ they wouldn't even bolt up. Not, would bolt up and scrape on his caliper, they wouldn't even fit over the studs. A TJ is a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. You can not force a wheel that is designed for a TJ to fit on a JK without an adapter to make it 5 on 5". Stop ranting and raving. He didn't say that he even tried to get his money back. He said that he contacted the company to let them know their product didn't fit his application. Most companies listen to the feedback from people that buy their products so that they can improve upon them.
post #20 of 38 Old 11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
No, a TJ is 5 on 4.5 the JK is 5 on 5. The only other applications that uses 5 on 5 are the WK, XK, and for a non-Jeep truck or SUV is an old 2wd Chevy truck. SO it would make sense that if it is 5 on 5 in a current wheel design that definately looks like it belongs on a 4wd it should fit the JK. Also the WK and XK have even larger calipers and I'd be willing to bet that this wheel won't fit on them either.
Dammit, I wanted to ask that

so Why J, umm what other vehicles on the road use a 5 on 5 lug pattern?

Quote:
1) When MichaelW received the rims he should have test fitted the rims on the JK per the manufactures instruction.
huh? what "instruction" are you getting and from where? My rims came in a cardboard box with no "instructional guide"

I test fitted mine because I was running a 15" steel wheel. But I would be pissed if I ordered those rims or any other rim that is "supposed" to fit a JK, mounted and they were delivered only to hear the "skeeeeeet" of metal when I drove out the driveway.

Quote:
2) When MichaelW chose the rims that are stated as fitting a Tj, not a Jk he was assuming they would fit.
I think we covered that one. Or do we need to cover the entirely different lug pattern ?

Quote:
All the while purchased by a customer that admitted that he saw they were for a Tj, but assumed they would fit.
you are not catching on to this "JK pattern is not a TJ pattern" thing are you ?

Ya the cutting the rims was going to void them, ya he SHOULD have test fitted but then again neither will 90% of new JK owners who order that rim.

Eagle should have said something along the lines of "Thank you for bringing the fitment issue to our attention" and THEN told him to fawk off or offered him at-shirt or something lame
post #21 of 38 Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Gib
Rock God

Why J?

Your last activity shows that you have been here to see the responses. I take it you concede? I was just getting warmed up. Come back and play.

Gib
post #22 of 38 Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Rock God

Damn.... look what I missed. WhineJ seems to have gotten bent over something and I don't think it has anything to do with wheels.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

I just find it odd that he joined the day he made his first comment and has only commented in this thread about the policies and in defense of the company in question. The same thing that somebody that worked for the company would do. When was the last time you seen somebody do that? Thus, my comments about the fact that I wouldn't buy because of his comments. I smell a secret agent
post #24 of 38 Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Gib
Rock God

Hell I could care less if he works for the company or not. The wheels don't fit so I wouldn't buy them.
post #25 of 38 Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Wheeler

I have a set of black EAGLE ALLOY SERIES 185 and love the look of them and have not had the fitment issues. They are a 17in rim and so light compared to the rims i have replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode