Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch

Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch are the biggest piece of shit. I always buy Warn winches but my Son bought a Jeep and wanted a affordable winch for him. He bought the Smittybuilt xrc-8 winch. It has had 3 solinoid packs and they told me that I needed the X20 winch and we live in California. They did not make the X20 winch at the time. Warn did not make the VR winches at the time.Just letting you know so you don't wast your money on a winch that won't pull you out sometimes.!!!!!! I think they should name it Shittybuilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014 Rubicon on the build!

Last edited by RODICON; 12-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM
JKO Addict!

This will turn into a "well mine..." thread; so might as well.

Thus far I've had my XRC12 for a year, pulled a Jeep sideways some and back over onto it's wheels, winched myself up a few difficult spots, no hiccups with it. I can guarantee the quality/quality control isn't near Warn, but some of them do pretty decent.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Granite Guru

I have the xrc10. I have had it 2 seasons and have used it a dozen times in moderate to serious recoveries and about another dozen times at least in little "trail tugs".

So far I haven't had a problem other than the seals leaking at the gear box. I repack my gears about every 4-5 uses just to be safe.

Down my list of future mods is a warn 9.5 ti. Not because my shittybilt ha failed me yet, just because I know it's inevitable.

It's like harbor freight tools, (aside from their impact sockets) you use them once or twice and toss them in the spare tools bin.

It's cheap.

It's Chinese.

You get what you pay for which is limited use, not longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Ran across this. I outta take a look at mine..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ore-fails.html

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

"well mine" XRC-8 has been used several times in 3 years. Not so much as a hiccup and of course it may not work the next time I need it. Sorry you are having problems. My last Warn was used 4 times in maybe 4 years, it quit the last time I used it. Shit happens.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post

Ooh good find.

I was just gonna dip mine in tool dip lol.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectah View Post
Ooh good find.

I was just gonna dip mine in tool dip lol.
Hmm, well that'd do it as well. When I service the gears I plan on pulling my solenoid apart and poking around. If it looks rough I'll buy another and use what I have as a spare. I would seal the new one up right out of the box.

post #8 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Rock God

I have been running and XRC-8 for 3 years now. I have used it no less than 12 times and no problems. You have to make sure you wind up the steel cable right after you use or that could become a problem but as far as the pull...no issues.
It isn't as fast as a Warn but I would buy another one in a second and use the extra $600+ I would have spent on a Warn for something else!

post #9 of 31 Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Wheeler

My XRC-8 hasn't failed me yet either. Sorry about your bad luck.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 AM
JKO Addict!

I've had mine for almost 2 years and never had a problem with it.
I've actually seen more Warn winches not work than any other brands out there.

I got the Lifetime No Questions Asked Warranty for like $25 from 4WD.
Unless Warn can step up and offer something like that, I'll stick with my "Chinese Shittybuilt" that hasn't ever let me down.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #11 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Wheeler

ive been looking into one of these. My cousin has one on his Jeep and hasnt failed him for 2 years. He did do the same as above and pulled it apart and sealed it better. Ive seen just as many if not more of the higher priced winches fail as the "shittybilt".
post #12 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Good find!!! I havent had any real problems with my XRC-8 in 2 years. But I wont hesitate to pull the solenoid clean it and seal it up now. Maybe I should do that before I go play in the mud today.

2010 Mango Tango
Procomp 4"
37" Nitto's
17x9.5 Raceline Monster Beadlocks
Poison Spyder Everything!!!
post #13 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I've had mine 2 years, numerous submersions in water and mud. Still works.
The solenoid box looks ugly because I cut a hole to fit my lights. Eventually I'll relocate it somewhere under the hood.
post #14 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

From the taco site, I was just thinking after reading it but I would think that you would want a high temp marine grade silicone due to the electrical contacts getting so hot. Just my thoughts though.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #15 of 31 Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
From the taco site, I was just thinking after reading it but I would think that you would want a high temp marine grade silicone due to the electrical contacts getting so hot. Just my thoughts though.
Just about every RTV will handle engine temps as well as underhood temps. I doubt you'd have an issue. Orange hitemp RTV can be used on exhaust manifolds, surely high temp enough.

post #16 of 31 Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

i've had a few winches....

smittybuilt XRC8
Smittybuilt XRC 10
smittybuilt XRC8 comp
warn M8000
Warn 8274
Ramsey REP 8000
Superwinch x9
magnum 9k
tabor 9k
Warn 9.5ti
Mile marker 8,000 lb
chicago electric 8,000 lb

out of those winches i've replaced:
2 silonoids on the M8000, and the motor was on it's way out
the motor on the 8274 (which was older)
i blew the milemarker apart. literally. was replaced under warrenty.
smittybuilt's old style winch control port corroded and they sent me a new one
i burned up the motor in the tabor

notice a trend in which brand i had to repair more? It could be use or it could be coincidence. But i ended up working on my warns more than any other i've owned.

I still think warn makes the nicest winches. But these cheap little smittybuilts have really held up for me and my friends that run them.

Hell, i'd trade my current superwinchx9 with synth for a xrc10 with synth. that's how much i liked them.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #17 of 31 Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Sure its rolling the dice buying a cheaper winch. But in 3 years I have only had to use mine twice and both times it never let me down. The 1st time I had to pull a full size blazer out of a bad obstacle and it never faltered on me. I would rather save the money and spend it on something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #18 of 31 Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Granite Guru

Pulled another Jeep fine twice.
didn't survive a NY winter.
Yes, part was my fault for not covering it...but c'mon! Can't things be built a little tougher these days?

somewhere along the line, the solenoid shorted and caused the winch to wind backward, fouling the line pretty bad and kinking it.

It's sitting on my workbench...waiting til I have the time and energy to tear it down, grease it up, and clean the salt and corrosion off the case.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Update, uptraded to the X20. Costed 100.00 more all water tite fittings on the box. It had a 50.00 mail in rebate, so i guess you could say 50.00 more.

post #20 of 31 Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Ipe
Rock God

I've had my XCR8 for a few years now. It does the job and pulls when told to pull but theres things that I'm not happy about. The biggest is that the thing won't free spool any more. It'll power out but free spool? NFW.

post #21 of 31 Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
I've had my XCR8 for a few years now. It does the job and pulls when told to pull but theres things that I'm not happy about. The biggest is that the thing won't free spool any more. It'll power out but free spool? NFW.
Have you bothered taking a look at it? The clutch isn't magic vodoo, pull it apart and maintain it some. I doubt it's grenaded, just a little more friction than a 1" long handle will let you overcome.

post #22 of 31 Old 12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
I had the same problem with mine. Call smitty and tell them whats up. They'll send you a new end cap with the lever. It's an easy fix, took me all off 15 minutes. On the release lever there's a spring loaded steel ball bearing that runs in a tiny channel. What happens is the casting is fuct in the aluminum end cap and will cause the steel ball to bind when rotating between engage/disengage. It took smitty like 5-7 days to get me the part, for all the shit they take they were actually really helpful... Buuuut in the end I got rid of my smitty and threw it on my car trailer and replaced it with a 10k Warn

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #23 of 31 Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Have you bothered taking a look at it? The clutch isn't magic vodoo, pull it apart and maintain it some. I doubt it's grenaded, just a little more friction than a 1" long handle will let you overcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
I had the same problem with mine. Call smitty and tell them whats up. They'll send you a new end cap with the lever. It's an easy fix, took me all off 15 minutes. On the release lever there's a spring loaded steel ball bearing that runs in a tiny channel. What happens is the casting is fuct in the aluminum end cap and will cause the steel ball to bind when rotating between engage/disengage. It took smitty like 5-7 days to get me the part, for all the shit they take they were actually really helpful... Buuuut in the end I got rid of my smitty and threw it on my car trailer and replaced it with a 10k Warn
When I get the chance I'll pull it apart and take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

post #24 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Granite Guru

The way I see it is you can buy three Smittybilts for the price of a Warn. So if the Smittybilt only last a couple years and the Warn last a while longer then it all works out the same plus you have some extra cash on hand while your waiting for the Smittybilts to break

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-01-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

A Warn VR8000 is 179.00 more than a Smittybuilt
XRC 8000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode