JK HI-Beam Indicator - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

JK HI-Beam Indicator

Wow ! How do you all like that hi-beam indicator ? If driving around with the low beams and fog lights on just so I can see isn't bad enough, switching to the HB's can pert near blind a guy ! Does anybody have a redneck fix for this? Or any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

what is your issue? Is it too bright?

In my rig the indicator is blocked by the steering wheel

BTW, I need to start saying "pert near". ..
post #3 of 19 Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, too bright. My wife drives this vehicle more than I and she complains of this also. I'm kinda wondering if the dash lighting is fiber-optic or LED ? ? Would be nice if it were old school and could just swap out a lower wattage bulb. Sounds way to easy, I know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Go to a tint shop and ask them for a small piece of dark tint. Pull the cluster apart and insert the tint behind the high beam indicator symbol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 19 Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophvytoy View Post
Yes, too bright. My wife drives this vehicle more than I and she complains of this also. I'm kinda wondering if the dash lighting is fiber-optic or LED ? ? Would be nice if it were old school and could just swap out a lower wattage bulb. Sounds way to easy, I know
It's all led illumination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Go to a tint shop and ask them for a small piece of dark tint. Pull the cluster apart and insert the tint behind the high beam indicator symbol.
Great solution, good thinking.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Read somewhere that you could splice in a resistor to lower the juice going to the bulb. Sorry, can't find the thread..

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
post #7 of 19 Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I just got my new Rubi. The same night I picked it up I noticed this.

A small piece of electrical tape will block the blinding indicator, and it's black so you don't see it during the day.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Was kinda lookin for a bit "cleaner look" than black tape. Your right tho, it would cure it !
post #9 of 19 Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Not be be pushy, but just try it. You can't even see it's there with the black background in the dash.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Granite Guru

Yes, it is way too bright. Keep up the ideas. I kinda like the black tape solution!

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #11 of 19 Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 AM

to the feller witht the idea of putting a piece of tint in to reduce the brightnes, how much of a pain is it to pull the cluster apart to do this?
post #12 of 19 Old 03-07-2009, 08:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armydadx View Post
to the feller witht the idea of putting a piece of tint in to reduce the brightnes, how much of a pain is it to pull the cluster apart to do this?
The cluster is easy to get out, all you need is a 7mm socket and a little time. I pulled my cluster out and apart on the trail one time, I had to perform a dinger-ectomy

|
|
post #13 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

there is a high beam indicator light?

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #14 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophvytoy View Post
Was kinda lookin for a bit "cleaner look" than black tape. Your right tho, it would cure it !

You did ask for a redneck fix LOl

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #15 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

You guys laugh at my redneck fix, but I swear you can't see the tape. And at night it blocks the blinding ray but still allows a little blue glow around it to let me know the high beams are on. I'm going to take some photos...
post #16 of 19 Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
You guys laugh at my redneck fix, but I swear you can't see the tape. And at night it blocks the blinding ray but still allows a little blue glow around it to let me know the high beams are on. I'm going to take some photos...
I think its a good idea. All I was saying is by asking for a redneck fix you cant be to picky LOL

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #17 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Granite Guru

I've had my Jeep for a short time and don't drive much at night. I read this thread and thought how bad can it be? Last night I had to drive about 100 miles in pretty heavy rain. Took me a while to figure out how to dim the instrument cluster. Much mo better. Then I hit the high beams. HOLY CRAP! You've got to be friggin kidding me! Forgive me but this is the sort of thing that has gotten the U.S. auto industry into trouble. The lack of attention to detail. It may seem simple but the U.S. auto industry is getting their asses handed to them and this little issue pretty much sums up why. A Toyota or Honda would never make it into production with such an oversight. I know it's a jeep and it isn't supposed to be a highly refined vehicle but this is inexcusable. How much work does it take to make something like this right? In an age where my Jeep thinks it can control a skid better than I can with this ESP and Traction Control BS, I have to put a piece of electrical tape on my instrument cluster to keep from being blinded but it. WTFO!
post #18 of 19 Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrash View Post
You did ask for a redneck fix LOl
If you punch a circle out of electrical tape and apply it over the blinding blue dot, you don't even see the tape during the day unless you look for it. It looks fine. Price is right. Was my first mod.

First post to JKOwners. Hear you all have a nice forum.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDoc View Post
If you punch a circle out of electrical tape and apply it over the blinding blue dot, you don't even see the tape during the day unless you look for it. It looks fine. Price is right. Was my first mod.

First post to JKOwners. Hear you all have a nice forum.
Welcom to the forum

.[___]

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode