IPF H4 Headlight conversion woes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Unhappy IPF H4 Headlight conversion woes

So i have been running the IPF H4 headlight conversion ever since they first came out. I was one of the first ones on the preorder from Northridge 4x4 back in the day. I had the issue with the old harnesses where it didn't fit correctly and was sent the new harnesses. I got around to installing them about 3 months after I had gotten the lights and have been running them for about 2 years now. I am having an issue that is harness related. The lights keep failing to light up, but if i pop the hood and jiggle the wiring i can almost always get them to turn on. I haven't contacted anyone regarding this issue, so I'm curious what you all would suggest I do...contact IPF, contact Northridge? I'd have no idea who to call at IPF, it hink they are an overseas company. And i'm not sure why the vendor would have anything to say to help me out...

I'm not too happy with my headlight upgrade a this point as its been acting up like this for several months. I recently realized that if I pull on the harness the wiring into the plastic piece has some play in it and the further out I pull it, the more likely it is the light will illuminate. Its real strange. I recently cleaned out the terminals with electric connection cleaner and greased up the connection with dielectric grease. Its helped but it still has the same issues. I'm getting more fed up as this problem persists...

Looking for advice and I'm also curious whether anyone else has had this issue. Thanks for the input...

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 12-01-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Those an ARB product and David should have a pretty good relationship with them. Call him up, he shouldn't have a problem helping you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Try wraping the connectors with zip ties. I did this when I initially installed mine 1 year ago and have had no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

As noted zip-ty em. Before doing that take them apart blow them out with air, add a dab of dy-electric grease snap back together and zip-ty.

KC

Method Motorsports

Email:
post #5 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

I would try those things if David can't help you. By contacting NR4x4 you may prompt a deeper look into these lights. ARB can afford it I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Do you have a full harness or plug-in pigtails to convert from H13 to H4?

I have heard that H13 connectors are kind of flimsy. Maybe lop off the H13 ends and splice directly to the OEM harness will help? That's what I did with my H4 conversion, except I also added relays to draw power directly from the battery.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Rock God

They have a two year warranty on them, so if it's within the time frame then you're golden. If not, sometimes it helps to contact the selling vendor first because if the vendor buys direct from the manufacturer then sometimes they have more pull to get things done or at least help a bit more with a situation.

<--- big fan of the Delta conversion lights.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

I could only stand the lights turning off for like 3 days, I hard wired mine, jumped the harness.

Do this, problem solved. I had issues with the center connection. Bypassed it and its been golden since.

post #9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
I could only stand the lights turning off for like 3 days, I hard wired mine, jumped the harness.

Do this, problem solved. I had issues with the center connection. Bypassed it and its been golden since.
Ditto...hardwired mine in about 10 months ago, couldn't wait for the new harness to come in.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Granite Guru

We had the same problem as you and tried all the formentioned fixes.... ARB set us several new revised sets of wire harnesses..... Nothing worked!

We decided to cut the ends off the harness and hard wire eveything. Never had another issue after we hard wired everything.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post

Thats just what i was looking for. I figured i couldnt just cut and splice all the wires...good to know i can hardwire the black wire. I'm going to give this a shot. Quick question - does the black wire simply need to be grounded or did you pull a wire from the factory harness side of things to hardwire it to? I dont have access to my jeep right now, so I am not sure if it has a corresponding black wire or some strange colored wire? Thanks for the help

And i believe mine are the H13 to H4 piggy back adapters (as they were described above). It looks to be the exact kit that is now being sold as an ARB product...I may try giving Dave a call to see if he can help out, I think I am still just barely within the 2 year period...

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 12-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Joneszj

If I remember correctly, it is just the center wire on the harness. I cut it on both the factory side and the light side. "jumped" the harness and wired them together.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Granite Guru

Had the same issues...hardwired them about 6 months ago and have been great since.

LoD Stinger◊Warn PowerPlant◊RockHard Cage◊AEV Beadlocks◊37" MTR's◊5.38's◊LoD Tire Carrier◊PSC Crusher Flares◊2.5" Teraflex◊1" PA BL
post #14 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

I have the same issue right now
post #15 of 19 Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Wheeler

Ahhhh!!!!!! Help me in this same issue. So I contacted Dave at north ridge. And Ipf. Ipf sent me a new harness and are great to work with but unfortunately after two weeks with the new harness it is back to one light on at times and constant on and off on another. I am new to the electrical worl so could someone describe to me the hardwiring process step by step? Good thing is I now have an extra harness set to work with.

As always thanks for the help.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbeaux View Post
Ahhhh!!!!!! Help me in this same issue. So I contacted Dave at north ridge. And Ipf. Ipf sent me a new harness and are great to work with but unfortunately after two weeks with the new harness it is back to one light on at times and constant on and off on another. I am new to the electrical worl so could someone describe to me the hardwiring process step by step? Good thing is I now have an extra harness set to work with.

As always thanks for the help.
Cut wires on the Jeep side of the OEM harness
Cut wires on the "light" side of the harness
Connect, solder, heat shrink

Turn on your lights and be happy
post #17 of 19 Old 01-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru

Have had mine over two years (pre-order) with no issues. And I'm the A-hole that decided to install mine when A) suns going down in my dimly lit garage B)Kids running all around the house playing Hide & Seek C) My Wife pitching a fit cause the dog got out and my dinner is getting cold. To top it off my dumb ass forgets about the red thingamajiger that unlocks the connector, so I end up tuggin like fool for a good three to four minutes. It's a wonder mine ever worked at all.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Rock God

I've zip tied mine since the pre-order as well. Well over 2 years with no issues.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #19 of 19 Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Huh, they must have had a shitty run. The ground wire pin melted rthe harness on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode