Brakes are Squealing!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brakes are Squealing!!!

Howdy!!! Well, the JK has 21.5K miles and the friggin' breaks are squealing like a bit*h!!!! Went to the dealer for an assessment; they stated all is well--------NOT!!! Shall consult an independent mechanic. Shitake, I loathe dealing with these stealership azzhats!!!

Any of y'all have issues with your brakes at such a low mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Most rear pads are done by 20-25k

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Most rear pads are done by 20-25k
Thanks for the input amigo!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't be afraid to clean the suckers. The brakes on my truck start squealing about every 8-10k, pads are fine. I just pull the wheels off, hit them with the power washer and lube the sliders, good for another 8-10k. Not saying that is your issue, but cleaning them can fix a lot of little issues.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Don't be afraid to clean the suckers. The brakes on my truck start squealing about every 8-10k, pads are fine. I just pull the wheels off, hit them with the power washer and lube the sliders, good for another 8-10k. Not saying that is your issue, but cleaning them can fix a lot of little issues.
Very true. However my front rotors are ever so slightly warped which kills any grease I apply within a few miles. Waiting until the pads die to upgrade to better rotors/pads.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #6 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Howdy!!! I'm a stickler for cleaning all my vehicles, ATV's, boats, tractors, etc., and the JK brakes get a thorough flushing once a week, however, they still squeak. This is the first vehicle (of many, many over my 60 years in existence) that the brakes have exhibited such an early demise.

BTW, thank you for serving our country amigo. I did my stint with the USN following my residency and remain ever so proud for serving.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

not much of a surprise - like goody said, needing rear pads after 20K isn't too uncommon on JKs.

I went with a set of lifetime ceramics from O'Reilly's for like $50

takes all of about 20 minutes to change pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Wheeler

changed mine at 32 000kms (Canadian)...25 000 miles, 45 bucks!
post #9 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
not much of a surprise - like goody said, needing rear pads after 20K isn't too uncommon on JKs.

I went with a set of lifetime ceramics from O'Reilly's for like $50

takes all of about 20 minutes to change pads
Thanks, I'll check those out at O'Reilly's!!!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
Howdy!!! I'm a stickler for cleaning all my vehicles, ATV's, boats, tractors, etc., and the JK brakes get a thorough flushing once a week, however, they still squeak. This is the first vehicle (of many, many over my 60 years in existence) that the brakes have exhibited such an early demise.

BTW, thank you for serving our country amigo. I did my stint with the USN following my residency and remain ever so proud for serving.
maybe they need more mud. "a dirty jeep is a happy jeep"... said the guy that just got married and doesn't wheel anymore....

Doesn't matter what you have, it's who you're with.

Jersey Crew
post #11 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipers Super View Post
maybe they need more mud. "a dirty jeep is a happy jeep"... said the guy that just got married and doesn't wheel anymore....
LMAO!!!! Unfortunately, mud is a most precious commodity down here in south Texas-----we need RAIN!!!
post #12 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
LMAO!!!! Unfortunately, mud is a most precious commodity down here in south Texas-----we need RAIN!!!
You have to go to extreme measures sometimes. Don't be afraid to pee in some of that dust to make a little mud, if you don't keep your Jeep happy it will off itself. Next will be a tranny or axle

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
You have to go to extreme measures sometimes. Don't be afraid to pee in some of that dust to make a little mud, if you don't keep your Jeep happy it will off itself. Next will be a tranny or axle
Yep, I'm generating my pee irrigation source from assorted Shiner beers consumed during the days (and nights) business ventures!!!

BTW, my fully restored FJ-40 relishes harsh conditions with glee sans piss!!!

Last edited by JPCattleCompany; 11-03-2011 at 07:38 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Wheeler

mine squeal like a son of a bitch and I just rolled over on 18k
post #15 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Rear brakes go so early due to the antirollover program which applies the rear brakes when appropriate if you corner too fast. Handy function, but there is no indication that it is happening for the driver. Hence the early brake wear. Try slowing down on those exit and entrance ramps! Mine went at about 22k miles but the fronts lasted nearly 40k. I replaced them with Prostop ceramics and they are still going after another 40k. Less brake dust too.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #16 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiRed Unlimited View Post
Rear brakes go so early due to the antirollover program which applies the rear brakes when appropriate if you corner too fast. Handy function, but there is no indication that it is happening for the driver. Hence the early brake wear. Try slowing down on those exit and entrance ramps! Mine went at about 22k miles but the fronts lasted nearly 40k. I replaced them with Prostop ceramics and they are still going after another 40k. Less brake dust too.
I don't quite think that holds true. I manually shut off the ESP when my jeep had 500 miles on it. I still blew through the rear pads by 22k. I also have a manual which generally run longer pad life. I think they have some residual pressure issues or something to that effect.

Sent via paper airplane

post #17 of 17 Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiRed Unlimited View Post
No exit or entrance ramps; it's either driving PINS, Rockport-Fulton marina, or my pastures. Going to O'Reilley's to order ceramic replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode