Water Pump gone bad at 21k on an 08 JKU - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Water Pump gone bad at 21k on an 08 JKU

Anyone else replace a water pump? I got an 08, not a daily driver as I have a company car. With 21,650 miles, the water pump is leaking. As soon as the warranty expired on May 31st, the driver seat lever went. Got Jeep to fix that less 50 bux. They tried to tell me I need an ext warrant. I'm not happy that all this stuff is going. I don't beat on it hard. Whatchayall think? Any else having this problem with the water pump?

ROBY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Unlimited Black Sahara AKA Robicon
(O|||||||O)

Lifted with 35" MTR's, Detroit locked with 5.13's, Poison Spyder Front Bumper, Rockhard rear bumper, Rubi Rails, Poison Spyder flares, Rock Krawler front U & LCA's, Ocala Trail Scratches & some other bits and pieces.

God Bless those that keep our Freedom Free!!
John3:16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Sorry but stuff fails. Sometimes it fails at 5 miles, sometimes at 50,000, at 150,000 miles...who knows. Should be easy enough to swap it out yourself, sooner you fix it, the sooner you won't be annoyed by it. Happens to everyone at one time or another..To answer, 20,000 mile water pump is not common in a JK.

Beating on it has nothing to do with it, being nice doesn't have anything to do with a water pump either. Just sounds like it didn't have the best tolerances out of the hundreds of thousands they've used..Swap that sucker out.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yep, i already got the part and the dealer knocked 30 bux off of it. Waiting for a buddy to gimme a hand. Just venting about it...

ROBY

(O|||||||O)

Lifted with 35" MTR's, Detroit locked with 5.13's, Poison Spyder Front Bumper, Rockhard rear bumper, Rubi Rails, Poison Spyder flares, Rock Krawler front U & LCA's, Ocala Trail Scratches & some other bits and pieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I hear ya on venting, good luck with the install! I've put a $28,000 BMW X6 engine in a car that had 37 miles on it. Crap happens! lol

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Still going to call Jeep to see if they help with the labor. Cant hurt to ask.

ROBY

(O|||||||O)

post #6 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah, I didn't have a single problem until I hit 60k miles....got lucky, but since then, it's been a pain in the ass. Good luck with the install. Take a look at everything while you're in there.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #7 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Almost afraid too ;-)

ROBY

(O|||||||O)

post #8 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Fingers crossed, so far so good. Good luck on the water pump
post #9 of 17 Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 PM
JKO Addict!

it's mechanical and man made

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #10 of 17 Old 10-16-2011, 12:04 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

a water pump isn't bad....I had the entire engine and catalytic converter replaced at 22,000 miles on my JK!

U.S. Army
post #11 of 17 Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Update, called Jeep and They fixed it "goodwill " and i paid 100 bux deductible on a $350 bill. Got a refund on the water pump I bought too!

ROBY

(O|||||||O)

post #12 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG8TR View Post
Update, called Jeep and They fixed it "goodwill " and i paid 100 bux deductible on a $350 bill. Got a refund on the water pump I bought too!
Nice! Good to hear that Jeep helped you out with the repair, and the refund.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #13 of 17 Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Anyone else replace a water pump? I got an 08, not a daily driver as I have a company car. With 21,650 miles, the water pump is leaking. As soon as the warranty expired on May 31st, the driver seat lever went. Got Jeep to fix that less 50 bux. They tried to tell me I need an ext warrant. I'm not happy that all this stuff is going. I don't beat on it hard. Whatchayall think? Any else having this problem with the water pump?
Had my water pump replaced under warranty just before clocking the 36K expiration. I found it seeping when I was giving it a thorough once over knowing that the warranty was about to be gone. This summer I had to replace a thermostat that failed.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #14 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
you got RIPPED, I had mine replaced at 55K or somewhere around there under powertrain lifetime warranty. I would call Chrysler 800 number and bitch you get your money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #15 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

I worked at 3 different new car dealers from age 16-20. Anyone one that has dealer experience will tell you the stories of brand new cars with terrible problems. Dead computers right off the lot, one piston missing 2 rings??, bad cold start sensor after first start, Suburban dropped off car hauler unloading ramp and got a new frame instead of total, swap parts of one car on the lot to diagnosis anthers problem. I'm still in the automotive business today and I can honestly say all brands have problems no matter what. I dont think any of these cars or trucks are any better than the next any more. Or as we say at the store, there all junk anymore.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
you got RIPPED, I had mine replaced at 55K or somewhere around there under powertrain lifetime warranty. I would call Chrysler 800 number and bitch you get your money back.
If he isn't the original owner, the lifetime warranty doesn't exist to him..non-transferable.

post #17 of 17 Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Rock God

Mine went at about 50,000
As water pumps go, it was a cinch to do. Hardest part was finding a replacement part.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode