Smittybilt Rocker gaurds - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Smittybilt Rocker gaurds

So I bought Smittybilt rocker gaurds thinking I was upgrading my jeep well I went wheeling and the rocker gaurds didn't have good enough mounts so both side of my JK rocker panels are dented. I have emailed smittybilt we will see if they do anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Which ones? A few more details would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm sure this doesn't mean much after the fact, but....sliders are one item where you should never try to save money. Hell, even some of the more expensive ones bring the suck (ask me how I know). Always pony up for quality sliders with a proven record.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Now, there can be a difference when manufacturers make rocker guards and rock sliders. Which one were you running?

http://www.smittybilt.com/jeep_side_bars.htm

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Wheeler

I'm running the src rocker guards on a 2 door. They've taken some really hard hits and still holding strong. There is some flex but not enough to hit the rocker panel. Every trip they come home scratched/beat to hell, a quick shot of spray on bed liner and they're as good as new...

Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
A girls butthole is just like a 9 volt battery. You know its wrong to do, but eventually you put your tongue on it.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

SRC Rock Sliders there are a ton of flex on the 4 door showed 4wd yesterday the manager agreed the 4 doors need way more support and still no contact from smittybilt
post #7 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

this is not a new problem to them.....crushed both side rocker panels first trip out with them... i liked teh way they look but offer shit for protection.

However i have been told that they did their job because th ejeep would have been totalled without them ???

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

A guy in the Southwest part of this Forum named Rich has those and has had the same problem. His rockers got mashed too.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

To the guys having problems, are these 2 door or 4 door jeeps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
A girls butthole is just like a 9 volt battery. You know its wrong to do, but eventually you put your tongue on it.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The guy I was talking about has a JKU.

Quote:
post #11 of 19 Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 PM
JKO Addict!

I have personally seen five sets of Smittybilt "rocker guards" damage the tub on an Unlimited. They are the ultimate in shitty rocker protection.

And to add to both the 2dr and 4dr sliders, they take up so much real estate on the side of the Jeep is ridiculous. I have no idea why they hang off the Jeep so far and so low. Junk!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 DOOR JK View Post
To the guys having problems, are these 2 door or 4 door jeeps?
Four Door Jeeps
post #13 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oh and talked to Craig today from Smittybilt I sent him 2 pictures and that wasn't enough so now I have sent him 23 photos w/12 meg pixel camera so he can show his supervisor. I will be hopefully finding out what goes on tomorrow. I mean the tubes aren't dented they just flexed into the body so hopefully they do something for me we wll see.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

you must have set the Jeep down on them pretty hard....I am running them but haven't had that issue yet....key word YET! haha

U.S. Army
post #15 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
you must have set the Jeep down on them pretty hard....I am running them but haven't had that issue yet....key word YET! haha
I agree, I know I have set them down pretty damn hard without any tub damage, dents and scratches to the guards yes! Maybe I don't try hard enough

2010 Sahara Unlimited & a 1998 TJ - See my You Tube channel
post #16 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

I have seen two versions if I remember right. One has a horizontal bar going parallel with the jeep rocker. The other has a couple of perpendicular tubes to the rocker that end up denting the rocker upon impact.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Rock God

i too purchased the Smittybilt SRC Rocker guards for my JKU thinking they where sturdy enough with 3 mounts to the frame but turns out it only came with 2.
i figured ill still use them since it was constructed of 1.75"x.120" tubing so i mounted them up.
They felt a little weak after tightening all the bolts to spec so i welded on more trusses to the frame.
Now they are solid and will be able to take a beating

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 10-12-2011 at 12:36 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So Craig and Smittybilt got my 23 pictures detailing the damage and said they want to use the pictures to better improve the design and R & D. On Top of that they are sending me Clad armor not offered yet that has only been see at the expo's and are replacing my rocker gaurds. Very standup and I am 100% satisfied. I will still reinforce the new rocker gaurds but obviously this shows they care and want to make quality products with a great value for customers and that is all any of us want I think from a company. Thanks Craig
post #19 of 19 Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

wow.... u got his contact info....

i will be sending them some pics....

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode