Soft top sob story - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Soft top sob story

OK here goes complaint number one. And this is only for the soft top. Is it just on mine or does the zipper on the back suck? At the top curve on both sides it always jambs up. Today I went to unzip the back and put the top down and both sides have skipped a tooth. I cant get the back window out. And we all know what this means. I cant put the top down. First good weather and I am stuck using the AC. Do you think this could be covered under the bumper to bumper??? Right! That doesn’t even cover the water that comes in at the front. So has this happened to anyone else? If I force it and it breaks, what are the odds the window portion break and not the top???

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
OK here goes complaint number one. And this is only for the soft top. Is it just on mine or does the zipper on the back suck? At the top curve on both sides it always jambs up. Today I went to unzip the back and put the top down and both sides have skipped a tooth. I cant get the back window out. And we all know what this means. I cant put the top down. First good weather and I am stuck using the AC. Do you think this could be covered under the bumper to bumper??? Right! That doesn’t even cover the water that comes in at the front. So has this happened to anyone else? If I force it and it breaks, what are the odds the window portion break and not the top???
There was a problem with the back window zipper, so I was told, mine went into the realm of FUBAR and was warrantied (Moose512 handled it for me) by the dealer. Got the new rear window just before I switched to the ORH top.. so now the new rear window is for sale with the rest of the factory top,

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

The teeth on my window zippers have gotten crossed like that more than a few times and I just bubba'd it loose each time. So far, no broken windows. I dont care too much about the windows anyways....mine are all scratched up and are maybe on my jeep 30-50 days a year.

Oh yeah, I ran candle wax over them and they quit jamming in the corners.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

I had a similar issue...just pushed and pulled until it came loose. Checkout the link below...I was told this product works well.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2288&src=champ
post #5 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

same happend to mine i took it in and the service manager was :sometimes you have to tug it a bit" and poof what do you know my zipper was now in his hand hahahaha and i got a new window free of charge becuase the bonehead broke it

www.jeepasylum.com
post #6 of 22 Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Alec W

I took my rear window out exactly twice and both times the zipped needed force. Mine is in the basement now and replaced with an ORH top. I hated the stock soft-top.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalcomson View Post
I had a similar issue...just pushed and pulled until it came loose. Checkout the link below...I was told this product works well.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2288&src=champ
X2...time to use McNet is BEFORE one unzips...
post #8 of 22 Old 01-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
X2...time to use McNet is BEFORE one unzips...
Agreed...most jk problems are owner initiated...something as simple a preventive maintenance escapes most owners...radical mods are a close second, resulting in thousands of jk owners crying the blues.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

chap stick and dry silicone lubricant work great also i use chap stick now

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Ahhh, just steal one of your significant other's candles and rub the zippers. You may have to do more than one application. I do this a couple of times per season and it appears to do the trick. Its cheaper than $7+shipping for a commercial product and what s/he doesn't know about the missing candle won't hurt. Besides, you should have a couple of emergency candles in your kit anyway. Of course the downside is the colored wax on the vinyl. I used a red candle and it looked like I had suffered a major injury pulling the zipper

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #11 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

I used dish soap on my onle 87.... Hadn't needed anything yet on the 08

Only 2 people willingly gave their lives for you.... Jesus Christ and the American Soldier...

2008 Rubicon Unlimited.. still stock
post #12 of 22 Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

Rear window

You can still take down your soft top with the rear window still in. Wranglers come new with a little package of two black elastic straps that you may have seen no use for but they get attached to the rear metal soft top hoop on the inside via metal snaps. All you have to do the is unzip the sides of your rear window up to the corners, roll up your rear window and then slip it into the elastic black straps on both sides. I never completely remove my rear window! I prefer this method because I don't have to find somewhere to stuff the window inside the jeep. Due use caution though, if your window is dirty when you roll it you will have scratches!
post #13 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM

HitMoney, Do you still have the window? If so will it fit a 1997 TJ and how much do you want for it?
post #14 of 22 Old 08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

dayum you went way back to find this thread

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #15 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Granite Guru

I'm glad i don't have a soft top. I can't even fold a pair of pants right.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post

Oh yeah, I ran candle wax over them and they quit jamming in the corners.
Parafin wax (the stuff you use to seal mason jars) works really well and it is cheap, available at your grocery, and clear so you don't end up with crazy colored or scented zippers.

2010 Rubicon Unlimited 6spd
Bone Stock... lookin for bumpers
post #17 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock God

2 words...........Bees Wax

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #18 of 22 Old 08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaredneck77 View Post
HitMoney, Do you still have the window? If so will it fit a 1997 TJ and how much do you want for it?
Sorry.. I don't. I highly doubt a JK window will fit a TJ though.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #19 of 22 Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

No worries, I think Montana's into Necro-threadohilia... This ain't dude's first dead thread revival...

post #20 of 22 Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Sorry.. I don't. I highly doubt a JK window will fit a TJ though.

Anybody got dimension specs on either or both windows? Come on, people, this is IMPORTANT shit. You hardcore Jeepers should know this off the top of your head.

post #21 of 22 Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Wheeler

Stiff zipper

I tried Ivory soap. That seemed to help.
post #22 of 22 Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

silicone spray lasts a fairly long time for me.

I have a 2010 top on my 08 though and I have found that the zipper stitching on the '10 is less generous than on the '08 and this means I chaff my fingers on the vynil more regularly when using the zppers. Bit annoying but my fingers will HTFU in time.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode