Let's talk about how bad Superchips suck. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Let's talk about how bad Superchips suck.

I could go on and on, but I have shit to do. I hope when I get back there are some other complaints here. I will just say:

1. Updates and the new updater are a PITA
2. Changing the timing does very little to improve power or fuel economy
3. Not sharing exactly what the programer is doing in each mode with the customer who paid for it is lame.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
I could go on and on, but I have shit to do. I hope when I get back there are some other complaints here. I will just say:

1. Updates and the new updater are a PITA
2. Changing the timing does very little to improve power or fuel economy
3. Not sharing exactly what the programer is doing in each mode with the customer who paid for it is lame.
6 speeds still ping from what I understand.

However, It appears that lots of autos are super happy with it.

Personally I'm just going to buy a procal.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Zero ping on 87 with the tow tune ob a six gear

My only complaint is it is very slow. To use the winch idle up just takes up semi important time when needing to winch

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Rock God

I have had nothing but good experiences with mine... Auto 08' on 40's.

post #5 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

Perhaps you don't need any more timing. Timing will only make small changes to power when set up right. Try pulling all timing out then slowly adding it until you see minimal gain in HP...listen for knocking...if it knocks pull timing back out...

My camaro without timing dyno'd at 693..with timing it sits at 722

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethrrogers View Post
Perhaps you don't need any more timing. Timing will only make small changes to power when set up right. Try pulling all timing out then slowly adding it until you see minimal gain in HP...listen for knocking...if it knocks pull timing back out...

My camaro without timing dyno'd at 693..with timing it sits at 722

That would be neat if I could do that. All the super chips gives you is Tow, 87, and 93 timing settings. It would be better if it gave the option of increaseing the advance in 1 degree increments. I would also like to be able to have some sort of fuel trim control, but that would be difficult to do with pre and post cat o2 sensors.

My big problem right now is that the new updater displays weird on all of my PC's. I can't download TPMS eliminator (which I had before but went away after the last download with the old downloader) I got new wheels and tires and opted to go with out TPMS sensors. I hate having the light on.

As far as the idle up, lockers, and sway bar functions. They are almost useless to have if you need to plug in the module to use them. Why bother? If you need to use your lockers, just use 4 low. I will eventually just do the rocker switch mod on the sway bar and lockers so I can use them when I want to.
I also don't see the point of the idle up for winching. Your Jeep already does that when you put a big load on the electrical system. Listen when using your winch, it will pop up the idle a 100 RPM or so. I don't think it needs anymore than that.

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm happy with mine so far
post #8 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Wheeler

SuperChip 2011??

I to am not pleased with Superchips. Been waiting since last Oct. (10) for an update for my 2011, they just have excuses no product. I bought my SC for my 08 and it worked OK nothing great. Now I have a $300 paper weight and its useless to me now.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
6 speeds still ping from what I understand.
No ping with my 6-speed on 91 tune.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Rock God

give you 100 for it? HaHa
post #11 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
No ping with my 6-speed on 91 tune.
What year is your Jeep?

Info:

|
post #12 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
What year is your Jeep?
post #13 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Is anyone able to tell a difference between the 87 and the 91 tunes/maps.

post #14 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

i been thinking about getting one for awhile now...might be awhile before i re-gear so was thinking more about shift points,mpg driveability...oh and ofcource cost vs a re-gear if i get a few pony's cool...i just wanted make sure i wasnt wasting money on all the other crap it does

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #15 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That would be neat if I could do that. All the super chips gives you is Tow, 87, and 93 timing settings. It would be better if it gave the option of increaseing the advance in 1 degree increments. I would also like to be able to have some sort of fuel trim control, but that would be difficult to do with pre and post cat o2 sensors.
I believe you need/should have bought a Diablo tuner for more values to play with. I don't think any other tuners allow you to really make custom tunes besides the Diablo. But that may be wrong.

Superchips tuners are not sold/advertised as all out custom tuners. Wanting to play with the timing a degree or two isn't going to make your minivan engine run much harder. The tuner is designed to be sold an ran in a wide variety of different climates, conditions, fuel qualities, loads, vehicle weights, etc. Plus it not being so adjustable keeps people that do not know what they are doing from screwing their engine up (detonation, loading the cats, etc).

As far as the "locker", "idle up", and the other "live" adjustments you can make. I agree on it being useless to me because it needs to have the tuner plugged in. However +100rpm is not going to be enough for the alternator to put out at full capacity like 1500-1600rpm should do. Which if you have ever used a charging system diagnostic tool it requires revving the engine to get/calculate maximum current output

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #16 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Garage

Been running one on Smurfette, premium fuel, no complaints.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethrrogers View Post
Is anyone able to tell a difference between the 87 and the 91 tunes/maps.
Yes. I ran the 87 for a while, but then bumped it up to the 91 tune. It took a few tanks to get the computer to learn it, but then I did feel a difference.
post #18 of 42 Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Wheeler

well who is making a tuner that will work with a 2011 ? diablo or sc. or anybody. thanks buckshot
post #19 of 42 Old 04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I didn't like mine. Took forever to make any change, including idling up - 5-10 min minimum. Didn't really see any gains in performance - 6sp. HATED the website and customer service!

Every time I updated, I had to get a new password, as my last one didn't work any more. Forget about automation - don't even bother clicking on the password help link - the only way to get your password re-set is to call them up, hope someone answers, and then wait for an e-mail - sometimes days later - with a new password. Change your password to get into the updater, do your update and a month later your new "changed" password doesn't work. Repeat.

Tried to get on their forum, and never did get a confirmation e-mail nor did my user-name/password ever get entered into their user list!

Couldn't even search for help due to this.

Sold it, got a Pro-Cal and couldn't be happier.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
post #20 of 42 Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

likemine, use the tow setting al the time.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #21 of 42 Old 04-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Wheeler

I don't have any complaints with mine.....it has gotten better with time/mileage. I did the 87 tune, and it will ping on 87 winter gas......if you put mid-grade or premium it is fine......remember it only does it on winter gas....once on summer fuel, it should be fine!
post #22 of 42 Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Wheeler

Just bought mine friday and changed my tire size and put the 91 octane tune in and now its stuck the programmer is broke keeps saying its not seeing the key on signal they want me to send it back which means im stuck running premium till then which at 4.50 gallon not happening. Or i can take it back to 4wd which is ok just have to drive there go home update the new programmer on the phone with them and then take the tune out and another drive back to 4wd to take it back and get my money back. All this to just make my spedo right i dont even care about more power its a slow ass vehicle anyhow.... Well i was hoping to get rid of my seemingly constant flow of pinging coming out of my motor whenever i accelerate. Might just deal with the spark knock and get a procal. Now the person i talked to at superchips was helpful and wanted it sent back to make sure noone else got this defective programmer and so they could find the root problem its upsetting to spend that much money on a plastic box that quit working after one tuning. And i was dissapointed to find out that you couldnt lock the lockers in 4hi without it being plugged in and i cant lower the tpms to 0 to work with my sensor less after market rims, but i guess thats on me for not reading about it before i bought it.

Last edited by JH08JK; 04-25-2011 at 09:03 PM.
post #23 of 42 Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

I've had mine for 2 years... no problems at all!

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #24 of 42 Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Granite Guru

You need to use a Diablo Sport tuner. Sell the SC and you will be able to do all the things you want to do with a Diablo.

Joe

Quote:

My big problem right now is that the new updater displays weird on all of my PC's. I can't download TPMS eliminator (which I had before but went away after the last download with the old downloader) I got new wheels and tires and opted to go with out TPMS sensors. I hate having the light on.

As far as the idle up, lockers, and sway bar functions. They are almost useless to have if you need to plug in the module to use them. Why bother? If you need to use your lockers, just use 4 low. I will eventually just do the rocker switch mod on the sway bar and lockers so I can use them when I want to.
I also don't see the point of the idle up for winching. Your Jeep already does that when you put a big load on the electrical system. Listen when using your winch, it will pop up the idle a 100 RPM or so. I don't think it needs anymore than that.

Thanks!!
Joe Daro
Absolute Offroad

07 JK Rubicon with a "few" Mods....and NO!, My ESP light IS NOT ON!
post #25 of 42 Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Happy with mine. Didn't notice a big difference with the 87 tune, but the 91 tune made a HUGE difference. Found the downloads to be easy, turned off TPMS, and got my speedo dead on. My fuel economy also improved slightly, probably because the trans stopped shifting all over the place. I knew exactly what it was supposed to do before I bought it and it has worked exactly as advertised. I never anticipated that I was buying some kind of "magic box" that gave me total control over the engine, and Superchips never promoted it as such. You should have done the research before buying.

08 auto on 40s.

PS: that being said, I checked out the Diablo at the Ripp Booth at EJS. I am very impressed with that unit.

Last edited by desert dog; 04-25-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode