WHAT THE F@#! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

WHAT THE [email protected]#!

I have had my passenger axle seal replaced twice now......and now it's leaking again! It happend the first time, no biggie. The second....ok, maybe it was nicked putting the shaft back in, but again?!?! WTF!?

The service manager assured me after the second time that he inspected the shaft and everything looked fine.

GO THE EXTRA MILE, IT'S NEVER CROWDED THERE.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 02:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Always go over the axle shafts with some emery cloth to verify they are smooth as a babies ass and then rinse the snot out of them with some brake cleaner to remove all the sand and such, then a light coat of oil so the slide through the seal without any complications. At least that is the way that I plan to do it. Sorry about your troubles getting them fixed correctly.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have done axle seals myself a few times in the past with out issue, but the 3rd time on an 09 with 10,000 miles? I think there must be an irregularity on the shaft that the dealer is not catching.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Rock God

I had them done once, went wheeling 3 days later, and came home with an axle full of Pine Barrens SHIT. Had it redone again and had them put in some Superior end seals too.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JimP
maybe bent?

Are you absolutely sure the shaft isn't bent? (Assuming you are speaking about the rear shaft). Mine was when I had that problem. I finally discovered it by putting it up on the lift and checking the rear wheel wobble, then the axle flange wobble. Fixed it by putting in some great aftermarket shafts. I didn't want to believe the JK shaft would be bent, but it was.

Sold my 2007 Flame Red Unlimited, HoodLift. 3" Blk Dmd Lift,Terraflex adj control arms, Premier Power Welder w/ 2nd alternator & separate battery, custom under-armor, custom exhaust, 35" BFG MTs on Champion beadlocks, HoodLift tailgate strut, ORL rack, Rock Hard Bumper, Warn rock sliders, Kilby front bumper,Warn Power Plant winch, Power tank for the air tools, corner armor, CB and shortwave (KI6FUG)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It is the front passenger side. I am not sure the shaft is not bent as the work is being done under warranty under by my local dealer. I guess I could ask them to see the shaft before the replace the seal again....but would I be able to tell by eyeing it?

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
post #7 of 10 Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JimP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0857 View Post
It is the front passenger side. I am not sure the shaft is not bent as the work is being done under warranty under by my local dealer. I guess I could ask them to see the shaft before the replace the seal again....but would I be able to tell by eyeing it?
Not really. You would have to be able to see it spin when the spline end was riding on a fixed surface and the shaft was being turned while other parts of it rode on another fixed surface. Then you would look for any up and down movement or wobble at or near the u-joint. You might be able to replicate this a bit with it in if you get all four wheels in the air via jack stands under the axles or on a lift and see if you can detect any wobble or up and down movement when they are slowly turning in 4WD. Any excursion is too much.

I can't think of a scenario where a seal would come back leaking again and again without the shaft being able to move up and down somehow. Maybe bad U-joints in the axle, but your dealer would have to be a real dufus to miss that. Possible a bad front wheel bearing but again the dealer should have caught that. Finally and not likely, bad ball joints. Something is allowing that shaft to move where it shouldn't.

Oh, maybe the infamous bent axle housing that some JKs were supposed to be prone to. That would allow the shaft to press down or up on part of the seal, leaving a gap on the other side. Maybe. Not real sure about that, though.

Sold my 2007 Flame Red Unlimited, HoodLift. 3" Blk Dmd Lift,Terraflex adj control arms, Premier Power Welder w/ 2nd alternator & separate battery, custom under-armor, custom exhaust, 35" BFG MTs on Champion beadlocks, HoodLift tailgate strut, ORL rack, Rock Hard Bumper, Warn rock sliders, Kilby front bumper,Warn Power Plant winch, Power tank for the air tools, corner armor, CB and shortwave (KI6FUG)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

the guys at crystal are a bunch of dumb asses
post #9 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Granite Guru

I had the same problem with mine. The dealer put two seals in mine before they figured out the shaft was bent. Third time they replaced the seal and the shaft and it has not leaked since.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I took it in yesterday and after they had a chance to look at it, they said that they noticed the seal wasn't seated perfect in the tube. They said they will replace it one more time and if that dosn't work they will replace the axle housing because it must be a bent tube. Don't know....we will see.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode