Worthless windshield defroster - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Worthless windshield defroster

After 5 winters and some very icy storms in KC I've had it with the windshield defroster. What engineer decided to only have hot air blow across the middle third of the glass? I end up with a large portion of the windshield obscured with fog. What makes the problem worse is the wipers leave a liberal amount of windshield left untouched on the edges. This accumulation of exterior ice in the winter combined with no direct hot air from the defroster means I have to use an ice scraper on the INSIDE of my JK! The central vent puts out plenty of hot air in the center so I see no reason why it couldn't be elongated to blow across more glass.

Anybody know of aftermarket defrosters that can be attached to the windshield along the A pillar?

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

These things come with a defroster? How about that...

I just keep paper towels handy and stop when the ice on the sides gets too thick.

post #3 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

BenDrinken (Ian) took his unit out of an old Ford Foccus and modified his JK with a dual temp blower output.

PM him. You might be able to pick up the parts at a junk yard pretty cheap. I think he spent like 20 on tubing and connectors!

Last edited by jkristie44; 04-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey James.

Hows that for a witty comeback.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Granite Guru

I hear ya dude, I have the same problems.
It would be nice if the wipers sat a little higher on the windshield so they sat where its warm.
The defrost/wipers on my TJ never gave me problems. Even My YJ was better in the winter than my JK!
post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

totally agreed, daystar or someone who makes plastic stuff should make some kind of diffuser to make the heat go all the way across the windsheild. jeep fixed it in '11.
I wonder if superchips could program a "winter" mode in for wipers, my old ass subaru XT6 had winter mode and it made the wiper raise up so the defroster would hit it.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
BenDrinken (Ian) took his unit out of an old Ford Foccus and modified his JK with a dual temp blower output.

PM him. You might be able to pick up the parts at a junk yard pretty cheap. I think he spent like 20 on tubing and connectors!
That's a good idea. I was hoping for a simpler solution, like an adhesive strip with wires in it that I can connect to a 12v power source and run up the glass just beside the interior windshield frame. Make it switchable like the heated seat kits I've seen out there.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to ChopperPilot

Here is an old truckers trick... Put your sun visor down. It will recirculate the air back down on your windshield. It works for me...

Electric Hats On, Cool Visor Down, Two to Fly and lets get the Hell out of here...
post #9 of 20 Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Granite Guru

Someone I know took a piece of 2 or 3 inch diameter PVC pipe (wide enough to cover the defroster vent) the length of the windshield, cut it in half lengthwise, drilled holes the length of the pipe and placed in on the dash covering the defroster. Made a huge difference in that the holes were drilled in a way that it directed the heat across the whole windshield.

I don't know the exact specifics of his project, but it looks almost OEM and works well.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Wheeler

i've written about this before...it is a totally lame design. 'go anywhere and do anything' as long as it's above freezing...sucks!
post #11 of 20 Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I saw another thread someplace where someone bought a length of rubber tubing and extended the hose that goes from the washer fluid reservoir to the sprayer on the hood. The extended hose was wrapped around the radiator hose a few times so that the radiator hose would warm the windshield washer fluid. Sounded like a good cheap idea but haven't tried it yet. Might be another fix for the problem.

Ron
post #12 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Wheeler

Yes and I just suffered through another Alaskan winter of the lamest design for a windshield defrost system. In the proper circumstances, this could be dangerous. The center of the windshield gets defrosted (and even then it isn't very fast) and then the wipers drag snow and ice that accumulates at each end of the windshield across your field of vision. Dangerous and obviously designed by chimps and tested in Death Valley. Jeep, shame on you!
post #13 of 20 Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Rock God

This helps a lot:

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #14 of 20 Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
This helps a lot:

i want this on the OUTSIDE to keep my wipers from becoming two huge lumps of ice smearing my windshield!
post #15 of 20 Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM
Rock God

If the windshield starts to ice up too bad and affect your vision just fold it down. Problem solved.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Wheeler

Yeah, I wonder how anyone who knows ANYTHING about cars and car design approved the fucking idiotic design of the defroster on this vehicle. I have driven my '08 through 7 or so Alaska winters and every year (when it snows) I get so pissed off at the design of the defroster I want to trade this thing in. It's ill-conceived, it's dangerous. Sometimes I think JK stands for Just Kidding...
post #17 of 20 Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM
Granite Guru

Since there is so much heat under the hood, I'm surprised no one has come up with the idea to open up the back of the hood and have some kind of ducting blowing the warm air across the wipers.
Think that will help?
post #18 of 20 Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Jeep did 2 million+ miles of testing on the new JL. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars to "improve" the JL. But the JL has the same bad windshield defroster vent design as previous models! All of the hot air blows in the middle and the sides are allowed to freeze up!
My Toyota Yaris' windshield vent spreads hot air equally. Why can't FCA design a working vent for five times the MSRP?
post #19 of 20 Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Rock God

someone with a 3D printer should make something, a little vent or flap to help redirect air to the sides. It can clip into the existing vent grill or a dab of silicone will do to hold it in place

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #20 of 20 Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
someone with a 3D printer should make something, a little vent or flap to help redirect air to the sides. It can clip into the existing vent grill or a dab of silicone will do to hold it in place
Found a site with a downloadable 3D printer file....no idea if it works or not. Might be able to find someone local to you with a printer to make it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:184101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode