ridiculously leaky top - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB
ridiculously leaky top

I know the soft tops leak, but I think mines worse than is acceptable. If I built someone a house and said, sorry about the leaks, theres nothing I could do about it, I'd have a lawsuit on my hands so fast! anyone have any suggestions for closing this leak up? seems to be coming in from the plastic door surrounds, towards the front. There's a couple other smaller spots on the passenger side, but nothing compared to what I get on the drivers. I run no top and no doors 90% of the time, but for the times that we get rain, it'd be nice to have a dry seat.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

holy chit batman!!! thats what mine looked like when i forgot to clip the top in on top of the door...

not trying to call you out or anything, but have you checked that you have everything buttoned up correctly? im sure you have several times, but i figured id start with the obvious lol, simply because i have forgotten to do this a time or two...

then id see what some weather stripping would do for you... a few strips in the right spot and it should help you out quite a bit...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
holy chit batman!!! thats what mine looked like when i forgot to clip the top in on top of the door...

not trying to call you out or anything, but have you checked that you have everything buttoned up correctly? im sure you have several times, but i figured id start with the obvious lol, simply because i have forgotten to do this a time or two...

then id see what some weather stripping would do for you... a few strips in the right spot and it should help you out quite a bit...
yeah, that was the first thing i checked. I'll get some more pics of how its sitting now since its not wet and maybe that'll help solve the riddle. This isnt the first time it's leaked like this. any hard rain and thats what I end up with as well as a soaked seat and pretty much ruined carpet

Quote:
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to srbaker2 Send a message via MSN to srbaker2 Send a message via Yahoo to srbaker2

Mine leaks the same there. I've tried a few different things without any luck.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks like a stealership trip to me.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Seeing chit like that make me glad I chucked my JK to the curb before the warranty was up.

Thankfully our other JK has the lifetime wrap on it so IF that ever occurs Jeep pays for it.

Good luck and hopefully that gets taken care of for you.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

do a search for "jeep jk leak pdf" and there is a 144 page very detailed repair procedure for softops, hartops, and half doors ect. The first page is a troubleshooting flowchart, all the photos are in color and I just finished reading over it before I found this thread, there were even some that I knew nothing about. It will definately help you to find the leak ant to fix it. I searched under google and it was one of the first couple of links that opened it right up.

http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/ma..._Leaks_All.pdf

This really needs to be copy and pasted to a sticky in the write ups if it isn't already.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #8 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Looks like a stealership trip to me.
I bought my JK used from carmax and even paid for an extended warranty. When I told them about the leak, they said sorry and they didn't cover it. Considering they did fix a bunch of stuff I messed up when I broke a driveshaft, I didnt push the issue. However, the leak has gotten progressively worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
do a search for "jeep jk leak pdf" and there is a 144 page very detailed repair procedure for softops, hartops, and half doors ect. The first page is a troubleshooting flowchart, all the photos are in color and I just finished reading over it before I found this thread, there were even some that I knew nothing about. It will definately help you to find the leak ant to fix it. I searched under google and it was one of the first couple of links that opened it right up.

http://www.jeep-club.net/graphics/ma..._Leaks_All.pdf

This really needs to be copy and pasted to a sticky in the write ups if it isn't already.
good find, I'll definitely be checking that out

Quote:
post #9 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

I've come to the conclusion my soft top will never seal water or air. It's just a fact. Hardly did from day one. My water leak is NOTHING like that, couple drips on the door handle socket. Certainly look into the posted threads/links on it.

The corners of my soft top I cannot get to seal for the life of me. I've found some pretty hellaciouis BMW noises in the past, but I cannot get this thing to seal without just starting to throw parts at it. Hardtop...someday.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

I had the same issue, and about the same amount of water, here is what I did:

Step 1, on the door surround you will see that A pillar rubber TSB fix ( http://media.photobucket.com/image/j...0211091136.jpg ) has a spongy foam rubber weather strip sticking out from under it. I removed that completely so that water doesn't wick in there.

Step 2, on the windshield seal I made sure I could not pull it apart from the windshield frame at all. I noticed that I could pull it away there, and so I bought a 4 dollar tube of black silicone sealant from pep boys. I unclamped the roof so that I could make sure to get the silicone in as best I could. Next cleaned the metal that the seal should have been attached to and then applied the sealant and clamped down the roof to apply pressure.

Step 3, I loosened the torque screws that hold the door striker in place. Once it was loose enough to move and loosely stay in place (but not so loose that it just flops around) I closed the door as tight as I could. Don't let go of the door when it latches, Instead, once you have the door closed as tight as you can you need to push the button on the door handle and open the door. Once again, if you let go of the door or relieve any pressure this will not work. Once you have done this, your door striker should be in further for a much tighter seal.

The combo of all 3 of those steps completely solved my problem. I went from water soaking my seat during a light rain, to not a single drip all spring.

I hope that helps. If you need me to be clearer just PM me. I went to the dealership 5 times over this issue. Seriously, 5 times (anywhere from 2-12 day stays). I ended up spending 2 days of trial and error and came up with that fix.

Last edited by SONNYDL; 03-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhrd4 View Post
It depends on the door seal, after a while they get formed to their shape and applying more weather stripping diverts the water in through different channels. I tried every available weather stripping and they all made the issue worse. Heck, I still have 3 rolls of the stuff sitting in my garage. If the door steal is still new and soft you can use weather stripping to help, but as I learned, even new seals didn't fix my problem.

I will say however that the 2011 wranglers have a much better foam rubber that they use as opposed to the sponge crap.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Well then why don't you ever pm me with these things? I've got a spot just for that kind of stuff. I'm on it

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM
JKO Addict!

i had the same problem with my old top...not to mention having a conversasion with a passenger went to a trektop swapped the header channel...dry nd quiet...once n awhile during a really hard rain id get drip or two but thats it...

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #14 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

I forgot to add something, you have a 2007 just as I do. That means most likely you still have the original front winshield/header seal. I replaced mine with the newer one they sell now, the rubber is 2 times as thick and has water channels on it. Also you most likely have the plastic header on your soft top. I switched mine out with the aluminum/steel one that have been using since 2009.

Those probably won't solve your problem due to where you are leaking at, but the new seal does divert water away from your A pillar. It also prevents that steam of water from pouring into your floor when you open the door.

The steal header just forms to the roof and prevents wind noise and creates a better seal. My plastic header was cracked in half causing a loud whistle and a poor seal.

Roughly 220 bucks and about 3 hours of my labor.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
The steal header just forms to the roof and prevents wind noise and creates a better seal.

x2! I installed the steel replacement header and it rocks compared to the crap plastic factory one on my 2008...but I didn't do the new rubber header seal to go with it...that may be next!

2008 X Flame Red Skyjacker lift, Motto Metal Blacks, 17" Nitto Terra Grapplers, E-disco's, Locker
post #16 of 22 Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Rock God

My old 07 soft top leaked like this all the time I must have had it a the dealership 7-10 times, they always said that they could never get it to leak with a water hose they said it must happen when I would open my door and the water would just run in. will, I traded that one in for my 2010 and it may leak once and a while, but nothing like it used to. I hope you get it fixed.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #17 of 22 Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Rock God

I've got a 2010 and I've never had a leak. People (even at the dealership) are flabbergasted when I say that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while in a jeep

check my site out

post #18 of 22 Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms5490renegade View Post
I've got a 2010 and I've never had a leak. People (even at the dealership) are flabbergasted when I say that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL while in a jeep
Famous last words. I didnt either till I switching things around. What kinda top(s) you have?

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #19 of 22 Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They obviously made some changes from 2007 to 2009. Mine is very dry during even the hardest rains. My hardtop pieces up front leaked once, but it was because they weren't seated right.

Looking for some wood to knock on now.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #20 of 22 Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Rock God

I just heard of a guy attempting to get a $10k settlement outta jeep for his leaky soft top. Apparently the dealer tried fixing it ten separate times and never made any improvement. So he is requesting a settlement, if that fails i guess he proceeds to sue? Seems a little absurd to me 10k for a leak. It jus came up in conversation with someone in the legal field so I don't know the details.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #21 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
JKO Addict!

I guess if it were to take out all the electronics ect..and he could show that he took measures to protect his investment but was not able to due to repairs...yes I could see a case there... Tho I would pry for a sympathetic judge!

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #22 of 22 Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

I have heard of a couple people getting whole new soft tops over this issue, and I mean im sure Jeep would end up getting 2000+ for that installed. 10,000 is a pipe dream, my guess is he hoped for a counter offer of a couple grand or a new roof, or both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode