Nitto Mud Grapplers splitting up the sidewall - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
Angry Nitto Mud Grapplers splitting up the sidewall

If you are running Mud Grapplers - keep an eye on them!

If you've read any posts on here by me about tires, its no secret that I LOVE my Mud Grapplers.
They have been the best tire I have ever owned, super puncture resistant - I had a mesquite thorn go through the front of my fender flare but have yet to have one pierce a Grappler - only flat I've had, I found like 6 nails in one.
They've been awesome on every surface - rocks, mud, sand, snow and ice.

yeah they're noisy on the road, but you get used to it, they chunk a little on the rocks but nothing like a swamper, and yeah they are expensive but they wear great on my 4dr.

BUT
2 of mine have split up the sidewall from the side lugs - not just one or 2 little cracks, but numerous canyons on both sides of the tires, to the point that one will leak pretty severely if parked with a split facing down.

I contacted Nitto and got the standard "contact your dealer" form email.
So I took it to the local Discount Tire and they said the only time they had seen that was on 3/4 ton trucks doing burnouts on the street.
Definitely NOT something my minivan motor can do.
They called Nitto and the response was just "prorate a new pair of tires based on tread depth"
no explanation or anything.
so I could have had a new pair of tires for ~ half price, but since they were all about half worn, I still would have had to pay full price for the other 3 and no explanation about the cracks - if they were likely to do it again or anything.
Yeah I have about 35K miles on them, but if it werent for the cracks, they have an easy 15-20K left on them.
BTW - I keep my pressure at about 33psi on the street and rotate them semi- regularly, not as often as I should have but its been done a few times.

So keep an eye on your side lugs if you run Grapplers - these cracks didnt start showing until they had about 30K miles on them.
heres a pic of one of the cracks - and not the worst one
The 2 tires in question have probably 8-12 cracks PER SIDE!
the one that actually leaked, you could stick your pinky finger tip into the crack when it was facing down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Damn!!! I have a few small cracks on my Toyo's (made at the same place as those Nittos), but nothing that large. 57K miles on mine.

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Garage

Wow.. thats a not a crack.. that is a cavern!
Thanks for the heads up.. I love my Grapplers too!

I only run mine at 22lbs on the road... if I put 33lbs in I would get jarred in my seat if I ran over an ant.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to run ~26psi but after I saw the cracks showing up on the first tire, I thought maybe it was heat related so I upped it to 33 and the cracks still showed up on another tire and got worse.

As awesome as they've been, the cracks made the decision to go with HMMV wheels & tires a little easier.

Quote:
post #5 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

I run mine around 28psi. So far so good but I only have 6.5K miles on them.

and I LOVE that mudgrappler noise. As loud as a worn out swamper, but the ride is much smoother.

post #6 of 27 Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow that's a heck of a note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I run mine around 28psi. So far so good but I only have 6.5K miles on them.

and I LOVE that mudgrappler noise. As loud as a worn out swamper, but the ride is much smoother.
Yeah one ride and you ruined Sam. I came home with the KM2's and she said those don't look very aggressive and I can hardly hear 'em.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Rock God

Honestly I have about 8-9K and they are looking so hot on 33s. I have about 1/2 tread. Maybe its from me driving about 50 miles a day but im looking into new tires already, hopefully the 35 club.

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #8 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

I really like my MG's as well ......... but this scares the crap outta me!

I only have about 3,500 miles on mine, but they sat for 6 months while the Heep was being torn down/rebuilt. I fully expected them to be flat spotted to hell and back, but after a couple of hundred miles, they rounded out nicely and have been riding like new again.

I run them around 32-34 PSI on the street. I will definitely have to watch the sidewalls for this ...............

Anthony

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #9 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow that is really shitty

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

Sux the company wasn't more interested in why their tires are doing this, or at least explaining what's up if it's a known issue.

post #11 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Did you replace them with something else?

I would try a different Discount Tire. Did you purchase them at Discount? They have always stood behind me and my previous tire purchases much more than what that guy you dealt with offered.

Sorry you're having trouble! Put some scorpions in their office! LOL

Marcus

post #12 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Marcus,
I originally bought them from Discount's online ebay store. The guy from Discount really tried to be helpful, he was kind of amazed to see them splitting like this, so he called up the food chain and said he called his Nitto rep and the DT boss, that's where the 'prorate them and be done with it" attitude came from.

I replaced them with recentered HMMV wheels and 37" goodyears, hopefully they'll be here this week.

Quote:
post #13 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Sounds like you should find their corporate offices and leave a few diamondbacks (sans venom glands) in their lobby. If they're not gonna stand behind their product, you might as well scare the sh!t outta their regional VP

post #14 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nah, I like my snakes too much for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Sounds like you should find their corporate offices and leave a few diamondbacks (sans venom glands) in their lobby. If they're not gonna stand behind their product, you might as well scare the sh!t outta their regional VP

Quote:
post #15 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
JKO Addict!

You may want to report this to NHTSA as they have a recent recall on some of the Terra Grapplers so it may be a related issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #16 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thought about it but they'll probably just say they were mounted on too narrow of a rim (stock rims) and explain it away that way.

Quote:
post #17 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
thought about it but they'll probably just say they were mounted on too narrow of a rim (stock rims) and explain it away that way.
Still, couldn't hurt to mention it. Squeaky wheels and greasin and all that...

I hear ya about the snakes. They'd prolly kill em on sight, even though they're not at all deadly without the venom glands...

post #18 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
JKO Addict!

I will let you know on that theory, being mine is on stock rims too.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Humm, love ours, not on stock rims, BeagsJepp had em first and no cracks seen yet?

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #20 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Man.... I would be pissed if my tires cracked like that. Prorate is better than nothing but no explanation is BS. I would have done the same thing that you did.

No issues with my MTRs other than they were a bitch to balance - could be because of the bead locks or a combination.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Rock God

Rubber engineering fail.
There's no way that our squirrel wheel can produce enough torque to tear tires like that.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #22 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Definitely a bad batch. I would have them replace the set with a different lot # and see what happens. Seems like you really like the tires for what you do, so if the customer service is good, you might as well give it another chance.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Definitely a bad batch. I would have them replace the set with a different lot # and see what happens. Seems like you really like the tires for what you do, so if the customer service is good, you might as well give it another chance.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #24 of 27 Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Garage

To resurrect a thread.. I suffered the same issues... small cracks that turned into splits which then led to failure.

both of these tires went within a month of each other on the highway. I could hear the air coming from the splits as I went down the highway. Every time the leaking split would rotate to the bottom of the rotation and the weight of the rig was on the tire the split would obviously spread and a release of air that i could hear.. Pssst Psst Psst.. after a few miles the tire went flat.

Instead of waiting on the side of the highway I drove on the flats.. the first one 6 miles to the nearest exit where the spare was employed. The second time with no avaialble spare and at 4:30am i drove 13 miles on the flat.

Bead locks for the win.

First time was left rear..
What it looked liked when i pulled over..

What it looked like 6 miles later at about 15mph

2 days ago and about a month later from the left side the right rear went..

After being driven on for 13 miles.. I couldn't believe the tire was still this much intact.

Tires were purchased in 2009 and have about 15k or less miles on them.
They have been aired up and down alot and wheeled about as hard as you can on them while aired down.

I love these tires though.. and until this happened they performed flawlessly for me and as nasty as those pictures look.. I would, and may run them again.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #25 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Rock God

I'm on my 2nd set. No issues like that on the first set. Just picked up my 2nd set about 2 months ago. Really hoping this doesn't become an issue.

Told the guy at discount to leave them at 29 psi, when they were replaced. So on my way home and it nearly bounced the body off the frame. Whipped out my tire gauge and the fucker made them 45 psi!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode