I know what I dont like about my JK....... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I know what I dont like about my JK.......

...The fact that I've owned it for two weeks exactly and of the 14 days its been in the shop for so far 7 days in two trips for dreaded DEATH WOBBLE...oh and the jeep is completely stock!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

where did you buy your JK?

aka- Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #3 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well shit.... I feel cheated.

I had to replace ALL of my steering components, suspension and add 37s before I achieved the dreaded DW.

I got it dialed in for a while and now the wobble is creeping back in.... have to start chasing it down again on Friday...

Keep us posted, sorry about your troubles. No excuse for that on a stock JK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dang your a quick learner. It took me 3 years to be able to do that. That's too much time in the shop. They should be able to fix it better than that crazy amount of time. NEW STOCK JEEP Dealer needs to get this fixed quickly!

Last edited by 4x4x4; 02-16-2011 at 06:34 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Shit fast learner, it did it on the way home from the dealer. I forgot to mention that its a 2007 and it has 40k on it but still. I told the owner of the dealership that I am refusing to take the jeep back off of the lot until it is 1000% cured and that i dont care if they need to rebuild the entire front end of the jeep. I am pretty frustrated to say the least.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
Shit fast learner, it did it on the way home from the dealer. I forgot to mention that its a 2007 and it has 40k on it but still. I told the owner of the dealership that I am refusing to take the jeep back off of the lot until it is 1000% cured and that i dont care if they need to rebuild the entire front end of the jeep. I am pretty frustrated to say the least.
its completely stock but its used with 40k...i knew i was missing something...i doubt its death wobble sounds more like tires or allignment Death wobble usually happens with non stock suspension components or the addition of a improper lift...

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #7 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

trust me my name might be rookieJK but Ive been around jeeps for a while.. 70mph on the highway hit a bump and the truck wants to shake itself to pieces and need to stop to get it to stop the wobble....not just a tire out of balance.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

tires out of balance will be more of a factor around 45-50

aka- Brian

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #9 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

and it being used and having 40k means its not stock?
post #10 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Stock = no mods

You said that, I (we, I bet) presumed it was new because you just got it.

Its still on them to get it right.
post #11 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah thats why I wanted to clear that up, and as far as the definition of stock I was aware I was just being a little bit of an ass and poking some fun back. Trying to lighten my mood up a bit and blow off some of the frustration of not having my jeep on the road and having m 33's and TF lift sitting in my garage doing a whole lot of nothing.
post #12 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

Hmm may seem stock now but who know's what the last owner did to it / undid to trade in etc.. Best of luck with the dealership.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Rock God

It happens. I always love to share my big nasty DW story.

Mine had death wobble stock & brand new.

Didn't surface for about a month after buying it. But it was pretty bad. So bad it caused me to keep losing wheel u-joint caps. I must have followed every piece of advice out there on solving death wobble trying to fix it.

Finally found the problem...

YouTube - Death Wobble

Lower ball joint, loose from the factory. Stupid dealership (Frank Fletcher Dodge of North Little Rock Arkansas - notoriously terrible service dept) didn't find it after being in the shop with it 3 times. They kept telling me to replace the steering stabilizer (again, I'd replaced it 3 times, including 2 aftermarket ones), but that they wouldn't do it under warranty due to my aftermarket tires Note... the tires I had at the time were some MTR/Ks the same size as stock ones. They also suggested getting an alignment (no help, did it twice), and one tech there suggested longer front sway bar links.... ???

So I eventually ended up finding it. Showed the dealership the video. Showed them the balljoint and how you could see light between the crown nut and the axle C. Showed the the stock pin still through the crown nut, never moved. Told them I wanted all 4 ball joints replaced.

Dealership didn't fix it. They kept my jeep for 3 days (also wanted my throwout bearing replaced - they didn't do that either).

First, they claimed that they tightened the crown nut and put lock tite on the threads. Only I'd already checked it and the crown nut hadn't moved, still had mud on the threads. Told the tech I wanted to speak to the service manager. So he came and said it wasn't actually loose, said they tested it with a pry bar - so they didn't need to tighten it. In fury, I stormed off saying I'll fix it myself.

So I rented a ball joint pressing tool from the auto parts store, pressed it in the rest of the way (it was way way loose) and tightened the crown nut up. Fixed.

But what fun dealerships can be.

Later on, I got DW again. Bent tie rod. That was an easier find and easily fixed - replaced with a solid one.

Last edited by alt_phil; 02-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Im actually so far "happy" with the guys at the stealerships service dept. The first time it was in they replaced all the upper and lower ball joints and when I went back they were shocked that it happened again. the dealership owner and I spoke and he assured me that I will not need to bring it back into the service bay again for this problem as he was going to make sure it was corrected. We shall see.
post #15 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Rock God

There's so many stupid little things that can cause it, it really can be heck to track down. Have patience. Sounds like you have a really good dealership. I'm jealous. Very... very jealous.

My throwout bearing still needs replacing. It sounds like hell. Next closest jeep dealership is over a half hour away, but I hear they are awesome. I really should get in there and get it fixed sometime soon.

I'll give those retards at Frank Fletcher this...
Because of them, I know a whole lot more about working on jeeps than I would if I had a service department that would have just done it for me. I basically do everything myself on the jeep - lifts, lockers, axles - simple jeep stuff. Opening my transmission scares me though... don't think I'm ready to do that.

Last edited by alt_phil; 02-16-2011 at 07:43 PM.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I just printed the TSB for the throwout bearing because mine does make noise when the clutch is out and idleing so I think I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow while the Jeep is there.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Wheeler

yea i feel for anyone with deathwobble on thier stock jeep

i had it too but diddnt do much about it (it only happened when hitting a bump at high speeds)
when i had it at the dealer he said cause my SS was dinged up is why i wobble. (idiot)

doesent matter tho now
after having my lift installed it hasnt happened since, i dont even have an SS on it anymore

i own a jeep
post #18 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Yeah I am hoping that they can get it right so when it comes home I can get my lift put on. Warlord what lift are you running and what components along with the lift that resolved your DW?
post #19 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Wheeler

well i cant tell you exactly why i had DW or exactly what parts actually managed to fix it.

but i am running a full traction 6" long arm
that kit replace most everything

but im guessing that the fact it uses mostly ball joints on the arms rather than rubber bushings helped greatly.

i own a jeep
post #20 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

yeah full traction stuff is sweet, but a little too pricey for me. If i had the 2g for a full traction set up and all the goodies to go along with it I would do it in a second. But since I am a poor 27 year old with 2 car payments and a mortgage I got the Teraflex 2.5" with springs and shocks.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
its completely stock but its used with 40k...i knew i was missing something...i doubt its death wobble sounds more like tires or allignment Death wobble usually happens with non stock suspension components or the addition of a improper lift...
I've gotten DW with a completely stock Jeep.

OP take the Jeep back and tighten your front suspension to spec. Problem solved. Or better yet tell them to do it. It's probably the track bar.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #22 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
trust me my name might be rookieJK but Ive been around jeeps for a while.. 70mph on the highway hit a bump and the truck wants to shake itself to pieces and need to stop to get it to stop the wobble....not just a tire out of balance.
you made it mad... thats why you get DW

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #23 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

hahahahahaha sorry
post #24 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Rock God

I got sick of DW and talked to many people including the dealership. Finally, I said "screw it" and piece by piece got the PSC Ram Assist. Get this and I guarantee you'll never have the DW again. 3000 psi holds the tires right where you want em.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #25 of 31 Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

oh and whats worse than it being in the shop is the rental they gave me. Guy before me got a 2010 ram 1500...I got a damn PT Cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode