Leaky Transmission Line Clamps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Leaky Transmission Line Clamps

(.. and the little clips that hold the line into the cooler too)

Thought that leak would be an easy repair (ok, it did only take about 45 minutes...) but it required a dremel tool (hacksaw too big to easily get to one side of the line), and a lot of cursing. I got fluid in places un-mentionable...

Heck, I thought I'd be done by dark, but I spent 25 minutes looking for the transmission line clip that disappeared behind a piece of plastic. Ended up having to fashion one out of a paper clip!

!c

(FWIW, I did the old cut off the old clamps, flange the line and add a new piece of rubber hose trick.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Got any pictures of what kinda clip you were dealing with?

Like dis?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

EDIT: Oh, I read "clamps" when you said "clips" the clips that hold the line into the cooler are about as thick as your average paper clip, shaped kinda like a clover, and go flying if you even look at them.

But here's a photo of the trans. line clamps that seem to be made just to make our lives hell (not my photo, found it on the 'other' forum):

!c

Last edited by jkdrone; 02-11-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Granite Guru

I was under the jeep today changing the oil and noticed my tranny lines were leaking too. They were the short rubber pieces with the clamps. It looks like it was leaking like yours around the clamps to the rubber lines. I'm gonna try to take it in in the spring to talk to the dealer about the tranny lines and the leaking oil on the front of the engine. I was about a quart and a half low.

2009 JK Unlimited - Deep Water Blue
Rough Country 2.5" Series II Budget Boost
18" XD Monsters w/ 35" Trail Grapplers
Superchips Flashpaq
KC windshield light brackets w/ KC slimlights
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch Bumper
Smittybilt SRC8 Winch
Relocated Flowmaster Super 44 w/ offroad tailpipe
post #5 of 16 Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

It's funny that you have posted this. I noticed mine were leaking in the same spot about a week ago when I was changing the oil. Must be some more fine Mopar Parts.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Granite Guru

How's your fix holding up? I have the leak too and am looking to do something similar. Jeep extended it to 7 year 70,000 miles I heard for the warranty on it but I'm over 80,000 on my Jeep and thought it would be just as easy and maybe better to fix it myself.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #7 of 16 Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

I cut my lines and used the compression to barb fittings with transmission hose in between, so far so good, no leaks and easy to do!

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #8 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Rock God

Just an FYI, leaking tranny lines is a recall and will be replaced under warranty

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #9 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Granite Guru

Mine fell off the other day and drove about a mile till I noticed all the amoke behind me, but i don't know how much damage I did to my tranny though !! So make sure you check you lines guys !!
post #10 of 16 Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
Just an FYI, leaking tranny lines is a recall and will be replaced under warranty
Not on all years. '08 for sure....

Makes sense huh?

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #11 of 16 Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post

Makes sense huh?
Yeah, fair enough

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #12 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post

Makes sense huh?
I have an 08 and they won't replace mine. They were already warrantied once and they are leaking again in less than a year. They said since I am over 30k on them, they won't warranty them. Shitty Chrysler....

post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have an 08 and they won't replace mine. They were already warrantied once and they are leaking again in less than a year. They said since I am over 30k on them, they won't warranty them. Shitty Chrysler....
Where you at in NoCo? I'm having mine replaced for the 2nd time in 53k tom orrow in Cheyenne. The dealer had no issues with doing it.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #14 of 16 Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Dealership doesn't have to warranty them, but there is a recall on them. My dealership didn't know about the recall and wanted me to pay $400 for them to be replaced when they were leaking, and I had to tell them to lookup the recall. Sure enough I was part of it.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #15 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Had mine replaced at least three times now (lost count) by the dealer at no cost.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM

tranny lines

hey guys I took me jeep in for an oil change at the dealership of should I say stealership and found out about the lines told me it was under warrenty for 7 yrs or 70,000 miles it would be an hr wait 2 and a half hrs later jeep has to stay over the weekend cuz the new lines didn't want to clamp to the old fitting find out more tomorrow I will keep u guys updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode