Freezing wipers solution? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Freezing wipers solution?

I know almost everyone complains about the wipers icing up when driving. It looks like the wipers sit so low they don't get any of the heat from the defroster. I was noticing that there is a little over an inch of space and the end of the driver's side wipers stroke before it hits the edge of the windshield, so I figured I'd just move the wipers up higher onto the windshield so they don't sit so low. Easier said than done. I pulled the wiper arm off and there is a small white plastic piece with a tab on it. The arm centers on the tab. Without moving this piece, you can't adjust the arm. Anyone know how to move that piece. I was looking at it, but its 4˚ outside I only have so much patience in these kinds of temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Rock God

I was thinking the same thing, may be we need to get a small deflector in side to push some of the heat down, any just a thought,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #3 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Freezing wiper solution....

Move to Florida?

Seriously....might be easier to find an aftermarket blade that is a bit longer but offset? Would that work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulVento View Post
Move to Florida?
That's what I did. You should thaw out just in time for Jeep Beach!

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #5 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I grew up in FL....I'll pass. I need 4 seasons.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock God

Hang in there Scooter spring is comming, along with the mud! Unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #7 of 30 Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM

anco contour wipers, not cheap but work great in winter
post #8 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Wheeler

i feel everybody's pain - this is my major gripe about the this model jeep ('cept maybe the mpg) - i live in anchorage and it gets cold and snowy and icy and...well, you get the point. it is a horrible design and when it's snowing and blowing out, there's nothing to do but crank the defrosters up and expect to be iced up in minutes. i am hoping some enterprising aftermarket co. creates some kind of deflector that would direct the heated air to the rest of the freakin' windshield, where it belongs. i would buy one...lame lame design, jeep...

Last edited by srino; 03-01-2011 at 01:23 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Rock God

Urine. Lower freezing point.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR View Post
Urine. Lower freezing point.
Good point. Btw I kept your beer from freezing at the last jeep meet at Johnny's. Your welcome.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #11 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Good point. Btw I kept your beer from freezing at the last jeep meet at Johnny's. Your welcome.
I thought it was a little spicy! lol
post #12 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by srino View Post
i feel everybody's pain - this is my major gripe about the this model jeep ('cept maybe the mpg) - i live in anchorage and it gets cold and snowy and icy and...well, you get the point. it is a horrible design and when it's snowing and blowing out, there's nothing to do but crank the defrosters up and expect to be iced up in minutes. i am hoping some enterprising aftermarket co. creates some kind of deflector that would direct the heated air to the rest of the freakin' windshield, where it belongs. i would buy one...lame lame design, jeep...
Does your wiper fluid resevoir drain to the ground when it gets cold? I had the tank replaced when it was new but when it gets -30 or colder the washer fluid all leaks out. I think its from around the pump gasket.
Moving to Florida isn't an option for me either.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srino View Post
You are mad about the mileage? You do realize that my JK gets over 5 mpg more than all of my buddies' TJ's, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #14 of 30 Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Wheeler

my wiper fluid seems to stay put, which is good because when spring comes, you need that stuff really bad around here...you've never seen such dust and dirt flying around. they don't put salt on the streets here in winter, they use dirt a lot, so in spring, it's like a damned dust storm when cars stir it up all day. ughhh. and yeah, i have always had a problem with the mileage of this jeep. i get a pretty consistent 14 mpg, which sucks! why can't they make a jeep that gets decent gas mileage? but i would gladly settle for shitty gas mileage than have the ridiculous, lame defroster design...
post #15 of 30 Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Wheeler

+1 on the iced wipers. Very annoying.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

I use a mix of windsheild washer made by rain-x de icer it work pretty good so far and help quite lots.

Other sujestion would be to install a windsheild washer heater kit,like this one.

http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/

Winter is coming.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

this was talked about last year. I e mailed daystar and told them they should make something , haven't seen nothing yet though. There was a good idea for wraping a piece of copper tube around the radiator hose and hooking the washer fluid tube to it. then ya got hot washer fluid which helps some.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #18 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Granite Guru

Winter wiper blades, they are covered on rubber to help prevent ice build up. Also the plow drivers trick is to crank the de-frogger with window open. You won't be as cold as you think.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Wheeler

I have always wondered why they just dont put one line of the heat tracing they use on the rear window along where the front wipers sit. This always made so much sense to me...would defrost the wipers and de-ice the bottom of the window.

Jenna
OF4WD #6031
Durham4x4.com

2009 Sahara*Deep Water Blue*315/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ*Procomp Series 52 Rims*OME 2.5" Lift*Interior Line-X*Superwinch LP10,000*Benchmark Designs Oil Pan & Evap Skid*Bushwacker Flat Flares*ORE Rock Rails & Trail Table*TMR Front Bumper*LOD Shorty Rear Bumper*4 Hella 500 Lights*JKS Quicker Disconnects*ARB Air Compressor*Tuffy Underseat Drawer*SeatGlovers*Cobra75wxst*Firestick*Daystar Dash Panel*Grill Mod*Mirror Mod
post #20 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hot washer fluid + cold windshield =

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #21 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Hot washer fluid + cold windshield =
Its fine as long you dont use it right away when the windsheild is froze solid,but when its already warmed up,its fine ,actualy some car come factory with that system.

But even at minus 50 i always only use the de-icer with winter blade off course ,never had a trouble so far.

Well i craked my windsheild by turning the heat up at -40 but thats another story :P

Winter is coming.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
I have always wondered why they just dont put one line of the heat tracing they use on the rear window along where the front wipers sit. This always made so much sense to me...would defrost the wipers and de-ice the bottom of the window.

Some car do have that actualy,i seen that on an Acadia and a grand caravan here .

Winter is coming.
post #23 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Wheeler

...or next time, just don't let the same committee of chimps design the heater/defroster...
post #24 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

I've solved this with a two part system. Only downside is it has the minor side effect of cracking windshields about once a year. (seriously)

Defroster on high until all the glass heats up to the touch and melts the ice from the tip of the blade.

De-icing windshield washer fluid in the reservior.

On the bright side my reservior doesn't empty...even at -100 windchills(-30 temps) I hit a few times last year.

'08 unlimited rubicon with mopar offroad bumpers, warn winch, and gobi roof rack. Who needs more? Now wants more....on the other hand...
post #25 of 30 Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakbomber View Post
I've solved this with a two part system. Only downside is it has the minor side effect of cracking windshields about once a year. (seriously)
Say it as a joke but i did turn on the heat at -50 and here the damn result.

Winter is coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode