Little safety tip on the JK's hazard/brake lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Exclamation Little safety tip on the JK's hazard/brake lights

Went on a charity run the other day and we had several JK's in the mix. The cops asked us to drive with our hazards on and I noticed that our brake lights don't work when the hazards are on. This was true for every JK there. Every other car I've seen the brake lights work even when the hazards are on.

So, if you find yourself driving down the street with your hazards on and some guy plows into the back of you.....now you know why. You're better off keeping the hazards off if you're moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the heads up!
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Thanks for the heads up! That's pretty weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

That smells like a lawsuit.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know. I can't beleive that in the (almost) 4 1/2 years I've owned this Jeep I've never noticed it before. Then again, I think I've only turned the hazards on twice in that amount of time.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

third brake light doesnt light up either?

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

3rd brake light should function.

Any vehicle you see that doesn't have a dedicated turn signal bulb/lens will do the same thing (THAT IS A LOT OF VEHICLES). Every duel filament brake light bulb will do that, one filament is a running light, other is a brake/turn. If it's flashing, it can't be steady too. Most every non-LED trailer will do that too. Your turn signals won't work either

Hazards are solely for stationary/disabled vehicles, driving with them on is a stupid idea. I see people do it in bad weather, I'd like to ram them and say your turn signals or brake lights don't work from my end...your hazards are not to be used while mobile while in lanes (not including the emergency lane for obvious reasons)

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 01-23-2011 at 06:35 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post

Any vehicle you see that doesn't have a dedicated turn signal bulb/lens will do the same thing (THAT IS A LOT OF VEHICLES). Every duel filament brake light bulb will do that, one filament is a running light, other is a brake/turn. If it's flashing, it can't be steady too. Most every non-LED trailer will do that too. Your turn signals won't work either
3rd brake light did work.

Goody, every other YJ and CJ's lights worked. My wife's T&C doesn't.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Hazards are solely for stationary/disabled vehicles, driving with them on is a stupid idea. I see people do it in bad weather, I'd like to ram them and say your turn signals or brake lights don't work from my end...your hazards are not to be used while mobile while in lanes (not including the emergency lane for obvious reasons)
Exactly!

This is from the Owner's Manual:

HAZARD WARNING FLASHERS
Your vehicle’s hazard warning flasher is an emergency
warning system. When you activate it, all front and rear
directional signals will flash intermittently. Use it when
your vehicle is disabled on or near the road. It warns
other drivers to steer clear of you and your vehicle. This
is an emergency warning system, not to be used when the
vehicle is in motion.

Vehicles I've had in the past, the flashers would stop, and come on solid when the service brakes were applied.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-23-2011 at 06:50 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well, good to know.

I'm with ya on people driving with the hazards on. Drive's me freakin' nuts. If your that much of a hazard then get the hell off the road.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Rock God

That little TJ behind me almost rearended me on the ride out from the lake.... He stayed real far back after seeing the underside of my bumper that close!
post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
...The cops asked us to drive with our hazards on ...
this is what bugs me. why??

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Interesting to know, I see people driving with hazards on regularly when the snow flies here.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Exactly!

This is from the Owner's Manual:

HAZARD WARNING FLASHERS
Your vehicle’s hazard warning flasher is an emergency
warning system. When you activate it, all front and rear
directional signals will flash intermittently. Use it when
your vehicle is disabled on or near the road. It warns
other drivers to steer clear of you and your vehicle. This
is an emergency warning system, not to be used when the
vehicle is in motion.

Vehicles I've had in the past, the flashers would stop, and come on solid when the service brakes were applied.
Every other vehicle I have is 1978 and older so I'm kind of used to them working that way. Well I guess the world changes.

That's good to know. We were recently in a funeral procession where we were asked to run the flashers. That explains why during the freeway portion when there would be a sudden slow down the lady behind us kept almost hitting us.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

People do this while on the freeway through thick fog, doesn't make sence if the brake lights don't come on, I don't know if your slowing down or at a dead stop sometimes. Scary shit when you don't know what's comin and all you can see is 10 feet in front of you. Thanks for the heads up!
post #16 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Granite Guru

Checked my 2011 last night and the 3rd brake light does come on when I press the brakes even with the hazard lights active. If older models don't do this, then they must have "fixed" it.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post
Checked my 2011 last night and the 3rd brake light does come on when I press the brakes even with the hazard lights active. If older models don't do this, then they must have "fixed" it.
Third brake light only? If so, still the same then:

Quote:
3rd brake light should function. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
3rd brake light did work.

Goody, every other YJ and CJ's lights worked. My wife's T&C doesn't.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll flash my hazards in bad weather when I see vehicles approaching too quickly. However, I don't leave them on. Just a couple blinks to say "Hey asshole! Slow the fuck down!"

Info:

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode