Smuggler Bumper Updated photos - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Smuggler Bumper Updated photos

Hey all, here's what the smuggler bumper (with dual direction tire swing) is supposed to look like. I'll let everyone know what the new tire swing looks like as soon as I get it. Also, the winch was not exactly straight forward when it come to the install. Check out my write up about the winch install in the write up section. I'm really happy with the solution I came up with, I just hope the paint I put on the edges is enough to keep it from rusting.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Cheers,
Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Where we're going we don't need roads." -Doc Brown

Last edited by ONE40pt6; 01-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Happy?
Thats the main question here after that huge thread mess

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #3 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Just curious. Not to many guys run a rear winch. What were your reason's for requiring one?
Bumper looks like a cool contraption but seems like there are a lot of parts to start rattling down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So the tire carrier is supposed to stick up that high? I'm looking at the pics on my phone but from what I can tell, it doesn't look any different than when you didn't like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #5 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Rock God

holy xtra parts bat man...thats a hell of a setup just so you dont have to lift a spare of the back.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #6 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
So the tire carrier is supposed to stick up that high? I'm looking at the pics on my phone but from what I can tell, it doesn't look any different than when you didn't like it.
If I kept up correctly, Olympic is going to swap him for a tire carrier that doesn't swing down. This is just a set of REAL pictures of what the "dual direction tire swing" looks like as opposed to the advertisement referenced in the other thread.

Did I get that right ONE40?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
If I kept up correctly, Olympic is going to swap him for a tire carrier that doesn't swing down. This is just a set of REAL pictures of what the "dual direction tire swing" looks like as opposed to the advertisement referenced in the other thread.

Did I get that right ONE40?
Thanks Knight...you nailed it.

And yes, BadAssJK, it does rattle and the tire bounces in your rear view mirror. If you "needed" the winch to lift the tire, it would be worth having. The rattle isn't that much of a problem. Also, if you keep tension on the tire carrier it reduces the bounce and rattle. Problem is you can't swing the gate open if you keep the winch attached to the tire carrier. Regarding the rear winch, I go wheeling by myself (probably more than I should) and I thought it was important enough for me to cover all my bases. Before I had any winches, I used a come-along 3 times on the rear and only 2 times on the front. Since I got them, I haven't high centered or found any mud my lockers can't get me out of. Good insurance I guess.

Cheers,
Jason

post #8 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Rock God

I wish I had ten thousand new customers as nice and calm as you ONE40. That is the last I am going to post in this thread, except that I hope to never see that bumper again.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

IMO this product is way over engineered. There has got to be a much simpler solution to the problem they are trying to address with this.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post
IMO this product is way over engineered. There has got to be a much simpler solution to the problem they are trying to address with this.
*cough* Look Here *cough*

/

post #11 of 26 Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
DAMN that's sexy.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Happy?
Thats the main question here after that huge thread mess
ONE40pt6,

Are you happy with the bumper itself (not including the tire carrier)? I also drool over the Switchblade but might consider a Olympic Smuggler if I could adapt an AEV tire carrier (for OEM bumper) to work with the Olympic. So I am really curious about just the bumper and winch setup.

Thank You,
DamMan
post #13 of 26 Old 01-28-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamMan View Post
ONE40pt6,

Are you happy with the bumper itself (not including the tire carrier)? I also drool over the Switchblade but might consider a Olympic Smuggler if I could adapt an AEV tire carrier (for OEM bumper) to work with the Olympic. So I am really curious about just the bumper and winch setup.

Thank You,
DamMan
Yes, I'm happy with the bumper. I like the look of it, the ruggedness, the installation (check out my write up about moving the solenoid box) and everything else about it. Olympic is coming out with a "standard" tire carrier which I currently have on my rig. I'll get her washed up and post some pics later today. I just received and installed it yesterday. You'll see when I post the pics, it's very simple and does exactly what I was after. If they had this available when I bought the bumper, this is the setup that I would have gone with (it's also going to me about $400 less than the original setup). I would expect that it will be available in this configuration soon. I'll post more this afternoon.

Cheers,
Jason

post #14 of 26 Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Is HD Customs even in business anymore?

I've tried several times in the past couple of months to get information on their JK bumpers and all it says is "Our new site is on the way..." I figure that's like the old restaurant bit "closed for renovations," which really means "bankrupt, hoping for a new owner."

I'm a JKO Reject
post #15 of 26 Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Is HD Customs even in business anymore?

I've tried several times in the past couple of months to get information on their JK bumpers and all it says is "Our new site is on the way..." I figure that's like the old restaurant bit "closed for renovations," which really means "bankrupt, hoping for a new owner."

I don't want t hijack this thread too much, just throwing up and answer.....

Yes HD is still in business, It is a small business and Jarrett tends to be a busy person. I just read in another thread that they are in fact waiting on an equipment upgrade to be delivered and then they will be back up to turning out product.

Ok back to discussion on the originally mentioned bumper.

/

Last edited by Loki646; 01-28-2011 at 03:11 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Here's the pics of the basic tire swing from Olympic. I haven't been wheeling with it yet but in the 2 days I've been driving on the street, I've been happy with it.
Attached Images

Cheers,
Jason

post #17 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

still not the same one in the pic.but at least youre happy

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #18 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good, glad you're satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
still not the same one in the pic.but at least youre happy
That's actually the point Corey. The one in the advertisement was the dual-pivot style prototype, just doesn't look anything like the production model dual-pivot that ONE40pt6 received.

This is the brand new non-pivot down style that they are about to release as an option with the bumper, the style he really would have preferred in the first place.

Oh and FWIW I just looked it up on Quadratec and Olympic did a bang-up job of adding pictures so there's no confusion in the future.

Olympic 4x4 Products Rear Smuggler Winch Bumper with Dual Pivot Tire Carrier
For 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
Quadratec Part No: 12107.300X.07

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12107_300X_07_PG.htm

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

I dunno why but, i feel like there should be another tube across the bottom of the carrier in that huge gap.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

That bumper looks much better than the original one you recieved! Is there any flex in the carrier? I ask because like the above poster it looks like a lower support would beef up the carrier a bit.

Gold Knight, I checked 4wd.com too and they also have the updated pics. It is nice to see Olympic finally got updated pics to their vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #21 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
That bumper looks much better than the original one you recieved! Is there any flex in the carrier? I ask because like the above poster it looks like a lower support would beef up the carrier a bit.
There doesn't seem to be any excess flex. I think this is still technically a pre-production model. Maybe Eric will chime in about it or there will be more info posted on their site when it's available. One thing you made me think of is maybe the Hi-Lift could be installed horizontally which would give more structure without adding any more material. I suppose that could limit tire sizes though. At any rate, it hasn't been a problem so far. I'm hoping to have it on the trail sometime in February and I'll let everyone know if it is.

Cheers,
Jason

post #22 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah, the hi-lift idea sounds cool but it seems that it could possibly hit the rear gate as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #23 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Exactly
post #24 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

OP: Glad Eric took care of you and your new setup looks tits!
post #25 of 26 Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
WOW. The HD Customs looks like a winner!!! That bumper looks to be well engineered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode