Skynet is active… In my JK’s CPU at least - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Skynet is active… In my JK’s CPU at least

So this has been my personal nightmare; I’m wondering if anyone else had something like this happen. So you know what I’m working with, I have a 2007 JK X Unlimited with a 4” Terraflex lift, 4.10 gears, Dana 30/44 (no lockers) and 35” Pro Comp’s. Jeep has 23k miles at the time of this writing.

A while back, I swapped out my track bar and had my JK’s steering aligned at Tuttle Click Jeep in Tustin, CA. While I was there, the service manager told me that my CPU had a recall and needed to be re-flash, but they could take care of it at the same time.

When I came to pick up my JKk the next day, it turned out that the tech had fried my CPU, and they needed to wait for a replacement. Four days later I got the call and didn’t think about it again…. Until I went wheeling a few weeks later.

So I’m up in Big Bear on the White Mountain trailhead, and as our group of 10 rigs are ascending the minor climb, I pop it into four-wheel drive and my gauge panel lights up like a Christmas tree. My traction control and ESP systems engaged (yes, I know that they are supposed to be disabled in 4x4) and the system started fighting me, cutting out the throttle and applying the front brakes as I was negotiating small obstacles.

Now yes, I probably SHOULD have turned around right there, but we where near the top, and I didn’t want to hold up the rest of the group. You can guess what happened next. I got slightly sidewise on a small ledge, and in fighting the traction control and ESP, I ended up grenading the front ring and pinion.

So that’s where I’m at now. Tuttle Click Jeep refuses to fix the computer until the axle is fixed, and having been unemployed for the last two years, I don’t have the two grand they quoted me to replace the shredded gears. And did I mention that they’ve now voided my warrantee?

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed with this? I’ve had little to no luck tracking down a used 4.10 ring and pinion for my Dana 30 (though I have be able to get a complete replacement from a JKOwner’s member don’t an axle swap in mid-December, but I’m not sure what to do about the CPU. Can I “fix” it with a power programmer? Should I keep screaming at Tuttle Click Jeep (though that is getting old)?

I’ll take any help/advice out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

hire an attorney to send them a letter explaining that they are responsible for the faulty repair to the ECU, and the damage the ECU caused to the gears. Also, have them explain to the dealer that the longer you are without your Jeep the more the damages go up.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode