Have Jeepers gone weak? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Have Jeepers gone weak?

Let me first say i might be just as guilty seeing how i have blown 4 years of pay on making a buggy out of my 08 JK. But i wanted to see if any one else noticed what im seeing and if its starting to bug them to?

every one thinks your gears are going to fly your D44's are going to taco like a ten speed hitting a curb. Not to mention your jeep will flood when you hit a puddle and your 37's are going to roll past you during a horrid death wobble....
Its a jeep, drive it till it breaks then fix it!

People who maybe once a year put there jeep through the ringer enough to worry about such break downs, even if you do most people roll out on the trail with 10 plus other jeepers so what are you worried about? I break all your jeepers rules and almost always go out alone exploring, hell thats why we got a jeep to begin with isnt it? to get out and away from people and seek some danger? Those who wheel or explore like this have more reason to beef up all these parts (that have yet to break, you just built them up cause pound-the-skinny007 said to)

Jeeps are amazing guys, the D44 is sweet money for a stock rig, the E-lockers are pretty damn cool and holy hell do you really need 44's? Our fathers in WWII managed to trash jeeps and kick some nazi ass with a stock one... If we all turn our jk's into buggies does it really count as jeep wheeling?

Like i said, im 100% guilty of this and im upset with myself as much as the next guy. and ill tell you, my jeep, is a buggy with a JK body on top.

Im done venting for now

Two is one and one is none... Fire in the Hole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
every one thinks your gears are going to fly your D44's are going to taco like a ten speed hitting a curb
Is this a trick question? Cause I replaced mine with the taquito mod.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Is this a trick question? Cause I replaced mine with the taquito mod.
How are those compared to the Enchiladas? Or should I spend the extra beans and get the Beefy Tostadas' instead?

/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I've beaten on mine pretty heavily and haven't broken it. I don't try to, nor care if I do, as long as I can reasonably get it home. Tow/limp. I worry about the 3+ hr drives back home and being dead in the water.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
JKO Addict!

I go out alone exploring all the time. However, I also don't do as extreme stuff alone.

There are way too many people that think they need 40s, Dana 60s and a V8 to wheel though. I don't know how often I get asked about wheeling by guys with stock jeeps. I invite them along and they say they won't be able to make it. A freaking all wheel drive soccer mom SUV can make most trails by picking the line correctly, but people don't seem to understand.

The JK has just made it worse. I love my JK, but by being able to fit 35s or 37s so easily, complete newbies are sticking large tires on their rig when they don't can't even figure out how to drive over a curb and then they are breaking shit. I almost irritating. I have 35s on my JK and I love going places that others on 37s and larger can't go. Then again, I hate the tards that clog up the trail and then believe I'm responsible to get them out.

Jeeps haven't gone weak. We've just allowed too many sissys into the gang.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #6 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Add two extra doors and you get the wannabe H2 crowd....what did anyone expect?
post #7 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Rock God

I like my 4 dr. I have never liked the h2 but i love the wheelbase. I run 37's on a d30 and break axleshafts like they were toothpicks. I am in the crowd that believes when in doubt power out. RCV's coming next week. We will see how the d30 holds up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
seriously?
I am with TKOB on this. And I had an H2. It was a piece of shit. I took it deer hunting once it drove down some dirt roads and up one trail that was moderate. GM finally bought it back after the steering went out for the 3rd time along with the wipers never turning off and interior falling apart. For what that thing cost could have had a jk unlimited thats fucking amazing. I beat the piss out of my rubi and it takes it. I have broken stuff bent things and ripped some shit out. But i did it I fix it and I enjoy it.

jeepers are not weak these newbs that dont realize how easy it is to get 35's in a jeep now compared to a TJ or a YJ and some should not be allowed to steal our oxygen let alone be on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
post #10 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Be glad they are selling them or you may be driving a vehicle they don't make anymore.... just like the Hummers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

There are way too many people that think they need 40s, Dana 60s and a V8 to wheel though. I don't know how often I get asked about wheeling by guys with stock jeeps. I invite them along and they say they won't be able to make it. A freaking all wheel drive soccer mom SUV can make most trails by picking the line correctly, but people don't seem to understand.

The JK has just made it worse. I love my JK, but by being able to fit 35s or 37s so easily, complete newbies are sticking large tires on their rig when they don't can't even figure out how to drive over a curb and then they are breaking shit. I almost irritating. I have 35s on my JK and I love going places that others on 37s and larger can't go. Then again, I hate the tards that clog up the trail and then believe I'm responsible to get them out.
True. I took a guy with 33s on a tj that never really went out. We took him on a solid 3 rated trail and he was grinning ear to ear with a little spotting with what he was going through. Fun stuff.

I've run circles around a few guys with bigger rigs. I cant do a lot of the huge stuff, but if it takes a little driving technique versus sheer size I'm pretty decent at it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

I think you should smoke somemore whitefish. Six of one, half dozen of another. Who cares what the other guy builds. His money. Sorry to bleed on your thread
post #13 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I bought my 4 door because I loved the space that my old XJ (4 door also) had. Makes taking family/friends out much easier than a 2 door.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I don't think it's sissys so much as noobs. Ya get those noobs readin enough of the drivel spouted round here about the need for 60's & 40's and it proliferates. Eventually you end up with those that don't understand the need for a "simply repaired weak link" like a u joint. They stuff in the chromos or RCV's & some 40's then hammer the skinny & wonder why they blew up the diff or bent a housing.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times; Jeepers have wheeled for years with 35's on 30's. Truss it, gusset it & use your head. Unless your hammerin your rig constantly, or don't know wtf you're doing, $8,000 axles are just not necessary for 90% of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Yup, that's why...

1) I won't get/build a buggy. I want to drive a Jeep. I'd feel like I'm cheating in a buggy.

2) I won't get a tow rig and drag my jeep around. If I can't drive my Jeep there... again... I'm not driving my Jeep. Though towing is nice in case you break, every break I've had has been a trail repair away from driving it home.

Too many guys in my offroad club got all wrapped up in building up their jeeps. They get a tow rig and trailer, and keep building, and before they know it - they find themselves missing driving their Jeep around. Because their tow rig is their DD. Some of them can and do drive their jeeps rarely - but they'd rather not waste the tread.

I'll stick to the moderate to light-difficult stuff in my DD 4-door. I'll risk breaking (have broke a number of times now).

I guess, to me, it isn't all about off-roading. It's about that Jeep freedom. Buggies are awesome, and being able to crawl up the hardest trails you could find would be very cool too...
But it isn't worth loosing my "Jeep" over.
post #16 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

I agree a lot of Jk owners think they need to have 35's or 37's to hit trails. I posted a video on the other site of my my brother and I in Moab. Both of our rigs are pretty tame 3" lifts and 33's we made it through all the trails we wanted and made it through some crazy shit. Almost every comment was about us being Midly modded and making it through the trails. These people are over compensating with equipment for lack of driving skill.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_phil View Post
Yup, that's why...

1) I won't get/build a buggy. I want to drive a Jeep. I'd feel like I'm cheating in a buggy.

2) I won't get a tow rig and drag my jeep around. If I can't drive my Jeep there... again... I'm not driving my Jeep. Though towing is nice in case you break, every break I've had has been a trail repair away from driving it home.

Too many guys in my offroad club got all wrapped up in building up their jeeps. They get a tow rig and trailer, and keep building, and before they know it - they find themselves missing driving their Jeep around. Because their tow rig is their DD. Some of them can and do drive their jeeps rarely - but they'd rather not waste the tread.

I'll stick to the moderate to light-difficult stuff in my DD 4-door. I'll risk breaking (have broke a number of times now).

I guess, to me, it isn't all about off-roading. It's about that Jeep freedom. Buggies are awesome, and being able to crawl up the hardest trails you could find would be very cool too...

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #18 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
I agree a lot of Jk owners think they need to have 35's or 37's to hit trails. I posted a video on the other site of my my brother and I in Moab. Both of our rigs are pretty tame 3" lifts and 33's we made it through all the trails we wanted and made it through some crazy shit. Almost every comment was about us being Midly modded and making it through the trails. These people are over compensating with equipment for lack of driving skill.
I generally agree with you. However where I would differ is on a trail like The Rubicon. I ran it with no problems 14 years ago on 33's Today that would be a huge struggle. Over the years the rock buggies with 40" plus tires have become very prevalent on the 'Con. They've really helped change the complexion of the trail, making it much more difficult for rigs running much less than 35's
IMO
post #19 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

Quote:
Yup, that's why...

X2

i am gathering parts to build a buggy out of a 81 cj-7, but my jk is and will remain my DD and primary trail vehicle. almost everyone that i wheel with tow their jeeps and i will tow the cj for the occasional bash fest, but most of my wheelin trips are for the sheer joy of having the wife with me to enjoy the outdoors and have time together with out having daily life intrude. we are comfortable on the 3 trails at places like Superlift, Hawk Pride, and SMORR
and have done some of the lighter 4s although with teeth gritted and hands shacking. my drive train is pure stock and i am amazed at what my X has gotten through and i have only pulled cable for my rig twice and both times the 4 tires were off of the ground. i am going to invest in a gear change,and build up the 30, but not as radical as most on the boards advise and am staying with the 33s that are currently on it, till they wear out. even then i will buy an extra set of wheels and change to the 35-37s only for the wheelin trip.
i will admit to a certain sense of pride in my ability to drive to the trailhead, have an excellent day of wheelin, and driving my jeep home. she ain't a trailer queen and wears her scuffed parts proudly.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I generally agree with you. However where I would differ is on a trail like The Rubicon. I ran it with no problems 14 years ago on 33's Today that would be a huge struggle. Over the years the rock buggies with 40" plus tires have become very prevalent on the 'Con. They've really helped change the complexion of the trail, making it much more difficult for rigs running much less than 35's
IMO
Ya, I totally get that. I haven't run patriot or independence trail here in colorado because i know i wouldn't make it and would have plenty of body damage, but for the most part a huge chunk of trails can be run with 33's. Sure i would like 35's but every time i hit a trail i end up doing ok with what i have, and many times i am surprised with what it can do.
post #21 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Yup, that's why...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

post #22 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Depends on where you want to wheel. If you're just going to get out and ride the trails, a stock JK will get you through most of them - you just won't be able to get through the most difficult obstacles on the trail. So the question to mod or not to mod is more about whether you want the "Freedom" of offroading, or the "challenge" of offroading.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx View Post
every one thinks your D44's are going to taco like a ten speed hitting a curb......... Our fathers in WWII managed to trash jeeps and kick some nazi ass with a stock one
Well I guess mine just Chalupa-ed then, went to 60s and never looked back. Grandpa in his Army Jeep never went up sledgehammer. Trails we run now would have been considered impossible even 15 years ago. The Jeep is more capable now, and aftermarket support to get extreme is readily available to any home builder now. 20 years ago, Moab was considered the "Meca of Off-road", but now its considered mild; 75% of the trails can be done by stock jeeps/FJs/H3s, and 95% is considered moderate now (for the exception of Pritchet and BFE trails). Johnson Valley is where its at now. Im glad your happy with the factory set-up, but I don't like being limited to trails that the guys at jeepforum run .

Quote:
The JK-wagon is definitely drawing in the soccer mom, low rider, and mall-crawler crowd into the Jeep world like never before. But realizing that, it has proven itself to be very capable on the trail. Just not my cup-o-tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
IMO
You said it brother, that trail was brutal this year. You were under-gunned if you were running 35s this year (unless you take the sissy lines like the Jambo takes). Everyone used to run that with 33s just 5-6 years ago. A lot of Rubi-44s fell victim to that trail this year. I hope it stays like that, it was a blast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode