Not a fan of Bestop Trektop - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not a fan of Bestop Trektop

So I ordered a trektop because the factory hardtop is a pain in the ass to take off and put back on the jeep, which I end up doing a lot in Louisiana(rain every other day kind of sucks)... It's not that the hardtop takes a long time to take off because it really doesn't, it's just annoying to need a second person to take it off. Anyway back to the trektop. It's the little things that make me not so happy about it. There are several problems that could have easily been solved in the design of this roof. The lip(or whatever you call it) that extends from the top of the roof about a quarter of an inch past to door ends about an inch from the front windshield. That causes the water on the roof after it rains to flow directly into the jeep when you open the door, it's not much water but it's enough to be annoying. The zipper on the back window will not go all the way to the bottom of the window and it leaves a hole about an inch long at the bottom where the zipper should be. Once again a river of water flows into the jeep when you start to move and the water pours off the roof. It's supposedly easy to install but the whole damn thing is held together by velcro. You might think that would make it easier but it doesn't. If you velcro one side tight the other side is annoyingly hard to get it to fit right.

The only real positive thing I can think of about it is it looks cool. And I guess it's better than taking off the hardtop.

And yes, I'm going to fix the back window thing with some kind of trashy job. I'll probably just use black duct tape actually. I can't really do anything about the lip over the door and the velcro though.

If you want to see pictures I'll put them up tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Rock God

I take off and put my hard top on by myself. It's a balancing act but not hard. I have a 1 car garage and put two 6' tables side by side with a 3' gap between the table to walk between. I sit in the back of the jeep lift the top off and slide down the back. The last time I had someone help my tail light ended up broken. Just easier to do it myself now.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Sorry to hear about the top... Sort of on topic, is a pretty easy and inexpensive way to lift off your hard top by yourself. I put up 4 big eye hooks into the studs in the ceiling of my garage with a ratchet strap hanging from each. Just back under it, and ratchet them up. If done right, I cant then turn around and pull in forward underneath it to close up the garage. Thought I would mention it...

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Rock God

That's much easier than my method.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 05:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
I take off and put my hard top on by myself. It's a balancing act but not hard. I have a 1 car garage and put two 6' tables side by side with a 3' gap between the table to walk between. I sit in the back of the jeep lift the top off and slide down the back. The last time I had someone help my tail light ended up broken. Just easier to do it myself now.
I put mine back on yesterday by myself, had to literally leg squat the damn thing. I've been storing mine on 4 pieces of 6x6s in the backyard, so though I did it, I don't care to do it again.... I can't use a hoist system in my garage due to a support I-beam and a ceiling fan.

/

post #6 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If you want to see pictures I'll put them up tomorrow.
Yeah, lets see. I have no complaints about my second trek top. In my limitied experience with soft tops, ive learned that the less you expect out of it, the happier you will be.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Haha!! I agree with the above! The ex girlfriend had a late 90's le baron convertible (pos and gay as hell!) and the top on it sucked! The front laid on top of the windshield frame so when raining the faster you drove the more it would leak, and I'm talking 35mph and above! I tightened that thing so many damn times trying to minimize it! Not only did rain come in but all sorts of bugs as well. Worst vehicle I was ever associated with and I grew up in 100 dollar hippie cars where the doors would come open around corners but that is another story...

I can actually say for the factory soft top I am actually impressed after I learned how to get the rear door pillar part snapped in correctly, I haven't had any leaks or issues with either the hard or soft top until I went in for my 3/36 punch list and they took it upon them selves to "update" my weatherstripping and have had the stupid ass drip over the mygig since. Sorry off the topic

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #8 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

which trek top did you buy? i have the 3rd generation and i dont have any issues at all, in fact i love the damn thing

and the hardtop isnt that hard either, again its just a balancing act

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #9 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
In my limitied experience with soft tops, ive learned that the less you expect out of it, the happier you will be.
Couldn't have said it better!!

I added straps to mine so I don't have to rely on the velcro over the doors anymore.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here's a picture of the zipper
It might look like it can go down more but I've tried pulling hard on it and it won't move.

I really don't expect much out of it but the zipper thing is kind of a pain in the ass. It's not a problem if I don't put anything in the back but if I do the stuff gets soaked. Oh and it doesn't matter when I'm driving it only goes into the hole when I start driving and the water comes off the roof. I'm jut gonna fix it, it doesn't seem too hard to fix.

I can't put a hoist in my garage either that's why I don't like the hard top. My house is raised and the cross beams under it are exactly in the wrong spot to hang a hoist. I meant picking it up and putting it on and taking it off, if I had a hoist I probably wouldn't have gotten the trektop.

Last edited by Robert; 02-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Get you an old shoe lace and cut a secton and make a finger loop and it will close all the way. I used 550 Paracord
post #12 of 14 Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Get you an old shoe lace and cut a secton and make a finger loop and it will close all the way. I used 550 Paracord
I'll try that, thanks.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Here's a picture of the zipper

It might look like it can go down more but I've tried pulling hard on it and it won't move.

I really don't expect much out of it but the zipper thing is kind of a pain in the ass. It's not a problem if I don't put anything in the back but if I do the stuff gets soaked. Oh and it doesn't matter when I'm driving it only goes into the hole when I start driving and the water comes off the roof. I'm jut gonna fix it, it doesn't seem too hard to fix.

I can't put a hoist in my garage either that's why I don't like the hard top. My house is raised and the cross beams under it are exactly in the wrong spot to hang a hoist. I meant picking it up and putting it on and taking it off, if I had a hoist I probably wouldn't have gotten the trektop.
The rear zipper isn't hard to work. It took me years to figure this out here is the way to do it.... After the top is up and all secure, the last thing you do is zip the rear right? So go in the cab and pull the windshield latches lose so that they let some slack in the top. The go to the rear and do the zipping, pull the top rear hoop down to allow for more slack. Make sure that the zipper is lined up, a little practice and it woks like a charm.

At the risk of repeating myself - "dont no jeep ever need a hard top". Every nice day when I'm running topless I see several goobers running around all sealed up with a hard top.

That hard top is $1100 or mroe sitting there waiting to be sold to some dumb ass who only wants a hard top. Sell it and start your mods

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 11-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
The rear zipper isn't hard to work. It took me years to figure this out here is the way to do it.... After the top is up and all secure, the last thing you do is zip the rear right? So go in the cab and pull the windshield latches lose so that they let some slack in the top. The go to the rear and do the zipping, pull the top rear hoop down to allow for more slack. Make sure that the zipper is lined up, a little practice and it woks like a charm.

At the risk of repeating myself - "dont no jeep ever need a hard top". Every nice day when I'm running topless I see several goobers running around all sealed up with a hard top.

That hard top is $1100 or mroe sitting there waiting to be sold to some dumb ass who only wants a hard top. Sell it and start your mods
Thanks a lot that rear window is kind of annoying to get on perfect. Took me at least 20 minutes to figure out how to get it on like that. And ya I totally agree with you on the hard top. I don't think I could sell my hard top for 1100 it's kind of scratched up from trees. I'll get rid of it for something though

I'm starting to get over the other stuff but that zipper really needs to be fixed. I don't know if it's the water getting in from there or if it's another problem but the little storage space under the back mat stays damp... I had tools in there too so now I have to clean them. At least I found that out before they rusted though.

Oh and I'm starting to notice more and more as I park next to my friend's 4 door with the stock soft top how much cooler the trektop looks.

Last edited by Robert; 11-07-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode