Benting Drag Link - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Question Benting Drag Link

Twice now when off roading on of near rocks I have bent the drag link! The first time we hit some small water melon sized rocks on the trail at a little speed and after the steering wheel was off by about 1/4 turn. This of course set off the ESP as it kept trying to engage until it went into fault mode. The second time the rocks were smaller but in a small pile. My wife was trying to ascend a hill and gave it a little momentum to get up. The Dealer says it is not covered under warranty because "We took the Rubicon Jeep Off Raod"!

Is there an after market Drag Link that is stronger? Our jeep is almost stock, it has a 2.5" BB Lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Twice now when off roading on of near rocks I have bent the drag link! The first time we hit some small water melon sized rocks on the trail at a little speed and after the steering wheel was off by about 1/4 turn. This of course set off the ESP as it kept trying to engage until it went into fault mode. The second time the rocks were smaller but in a small pile. My wife was trying to ascend a hill and gave it a little momentum to get up. The Dealer says it is not covered under warranty because "We took the Rubicon Jeep Off Raod"!

Is there an after market Drag Link that is stronger? Our jeep is almost stock, it has a 2.5" BB Lift.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...d-p-16403.html

Rock Krawler makes one also, but it doesn't have an adjustment sleeve so you have to take one of the ends off the knuckle to adjust it...which seems like it would be a serious PITA.

Jason
post #3 of 43 Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Rubicon Express makes a great one as well. I am surprised that you are hitting it and not beating the crap out of the tierod, since it is a little further back and higher than the tierod is. The reason(s) that I really lke the RE unit is that it relocates the mounting location to the top of the knuckle, and it is adjutable without removing it, and super strong.

My Shrockworks (bumper) skid plate also protects it for the most part. I have hit that skid pretty hard and it shows no weakness or dents whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Post Poly Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post

Rock Krawler makes one also, but it doesn't have an adjustment sleeve so you have to take one of the ends off the knuckle to adjust it...which seems like it would be a serious PITA.
"Poly Performance Jeep JK Chromoly Tie Rod" This looks good, but it is a tie rod. It is my drag link that is bent. I saw one on the Poly Performance web site, but it said it was for more than a 4" lift.

Thanks
post #5 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Not hitting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Rubicon Express makes a great one as well. I am surprised that you are hitting it and not beating the crap out of the tierod, since it is a little further back and higher than the tierod is. The reason(s) that I really lke the RE unit is that it relocates the mounting location to the top of the knuckle, and it is adjutable without removing it, and super strong.

My Shrockworks (bumper) skid plate also protects it for the most part. I have hit that skid pretty hard and it shows no weakness or dents whatsoever.
I do not think it is being hit. Just bending easily when the system is stressed from the extra force when in rough going. Why they thought is was a good idea to make it with a bend in it is beyond me!

I like Rubicon Express. According to the dealer, Rubicon Express makes the only 4" lift you can install with out affecting the factory warranty. This was from the sales dept.... While the service dept was telling me they have to replace the dented skid plates before they could even look at the front end...
post #6 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
"Poly Performance Jeep JK Chromoly Tie Rod" This looks good, but it is a tie rod. It is my drag link that is bent. I saw one on the Poly Performance web site, but it said it was for more than a 4" lift.

Thanks
I copied the link for the wrong part, sorry about that.

I am pretty sure that when you use their drag link you have to use their bracket for the trackbar as well so that the track bar is raised. If you are interested in it at all, I'd give PIG a call and talk to him.

Jason
post #7 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
drag link

Quote:
I copied the link for the wrong part, sorry about that.

I am pretty sure that when you use their drag link you have to use their bracket for the trackbar as well so that the track bar is raised. If you are interested in it at all, I'd give PIG a call and talk to him.
Thanks - I know that the drag link and the track bar MUST maintain the same angles to prevent bump steer. I'm still looking into the options. I have a skinny wallet right now so any costly upgrades will have to be next year.
post #8 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

the rockrawler drag link is adjustable with out removing it but the tie rod requires you remove one end to adjust it but you need at least 3 inch lift

www.jeepasylum.com
post #9 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Post tie rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
the rockrawler drag link is adjustable with out removing it but the tie rod requires you remove one end to adjust it but you need at least 3 inch lift

I only have 2.5" of lift. So far the Tie Rod has been OK.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW When I had a factory drag link it would get slightly bent every time I went wheeling. I just lived with adjusting it, until I swapped in the Poly drag link, but that is not just a simply swap.
post #11 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I comes time I will give the guys at Bulletproof Steering a call; I run them on my Bronco and have never had and issue. They can bend the tube to match or clear anything. They run tubing to 1.5" x .5 wall. I think they still offer a Lifetime warranty on their extreme joints.

www.bulletproofsteering.com

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
When I comes time I will give the guys at Bulletproof Steering a call; I run them on my Bronco and have never had and issue. They can bend the tube to match or clear anything. They run tubing to 1.5" x .5 wall. I think they still offer a Lifetime warranty on their extreme joints.

www.bulletproofsteering.com
Wow, that is one horrific website. Aside from that, very interesting.

I am not familiar with these used in steering....

Jason

Last edited by SDMF; 10-20-2008 at 03:02 PM.
post #13 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Smile WOW

Quote:

That sure looks stronger than the factory setup! Any idea on the pricing?

Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #14 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Openly Hostile

They don't have one listed for the JK yet...woudl have to call and get some pricing.

Jason
post #15 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I spent $500 on a drag link and tierod with the Extreme ends. Yes, the site is a little primative, but there stuff is top quality. I sent their tech support if they have had any interest in the JK market. I'll post when I here something.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #16 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Cool pricing

Quote:
They don't have one listed for the JK yet...woudl have to call and get some pricing.

Ok no rush, It will most likley have to wait until after Christmas is over. I'll bee needing to spend my $ on the kids toys before I can spend it on my toys.....

post #17 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Rock God

You can use our (Poly Performance) draglink without flipping it. It will just replace the stock draglink easily.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #18 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
You can use our (Poly Performance) draglink without flipping it. It will just replace the stock draglink easily.
Really? So you can use the high steer drag link in the stock position without reaming the knuckle or using the trackbar bracket? Sweet!!

Brian
post #19 of 43 Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The guy's from bulletproof responded to my e-mail and said they have done a couple of JK's but they were custom to order and each was different. They can make what you need but they'll need pics and dimensions. I copied the thread address to my e-mail maybe they'll chime in. I did this for my Bronco when it comes time I'll do it for the JK.

Quote:

post #20 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:

that looks like it would be a strong set-up, but it would put the draglink at a horrible angle, and it would also lower the roll-center of your jeep, which would be a bad thing with a lift.
post #21 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
that looks like it would be a strong set-up, but it would put the draglink at a horrible angle, and it would also lower the roll-center of your jeep, which would be a bad thing with a lift.
They have a lot of options on the mounting...this pic is just one of them.

Jason
post #22 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bly109 View Post
Really? So you can use the high steer drag link in the stock position without reaming the knuckle or using the trackbar bracket? Sweet!!
Yep! Should work fine.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #23 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is a copy of the last e-mail I recieved:

Hi again. I just looked through the last set up we did and it happened to be for an '08 JK axle in an 89 Wrangler. In that application no real special clearance bends were needed, however, a close quarters bend was used to alleviate joint angle at the spherical rod end due to the high suspension lift being used by the owner.

http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/c...rtersbend.html

However, since this was a custom application there may be more obstacles to consider and that's what we do. Solve problems.

BpS

Quote:

post #24 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Post Latest E-Mail from Dealer

Latest E-Mail from Dealer

The Rubicon is a very good off road vehicle, but Chrysler will only warranty items that are manufacture defects not from bending parts while off roading.

But I guess it is possible the drag link was not hardened correctly, and that is why is is bending.

So for that reason I have ordered a drag link under warranty and the parts dept. Will notify you when it comes in. My shop foreman is also up to speed on the update cd we have on order, and hope will receive the cd when the drag link is in so one more visit will get you fixed up.

I hope this helps and again thanks for letting me know

XXXXXXX
Srv Mgr.

Note: The Update CD is for an update to the MyGig and has noting to do with the front end issue.

post #25 of 43 Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Latest E-Mail from Dealer

The Rubicon is a very good off road vehicle, but Chrysler will only warranty items that are manufacture defects not from bending parts while off roading.

But I guess it is possible the drag link was not hardened correctly, and that is why is is bending.

So for that reason I have ordered a drag link under warranty and the parts dept. Will notify you when it comes in. My shop foreman is also up to speed on the update cd we have on order, and hope will receive the cd when the drag link is in so one more visit will get you fixed up.

I hope this helps and again thanks for letting me know

XXXXXXX
Srv Mgr.

Note: The Update CD is for an update to the MyGig and has noting to do with the front end issue.
What dealer?

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode