• 2 Post By ASSFROW
  • 2 Post By wildchild
  • 2 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child
  • 1 Post By Treader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A warning...

Let me preface this with an apology. If you read multiple Jeep Wrangler forums you will find this cross-posted. I’m just trying to get the word out to save other people from the bad situation I find myself in. Also if this post breaks some sort of form rules please delete it, thank you

I bought my first Jeep Wrangler from a Jeep dealership in Morton Illinois… Because of the situation and their refusal to even attempt to make it right I believe it is important to share with anyone who will listen my experience with the dealership and the 2008 Jeep Wrangler I purchased. Perhaps I can save someone else the grief I have experienced…

I intentionally chose to buy my Jeep at a Jeep dealership because I assumed, based on my previous experience both as a purchaser and working in new car dealerships, that the vehicle would have been examined by a technician certified by the manufacturer. I realize there is a premium in buying a used car from a new car dealer, but I believe the advantage outweighs the cost. Or at least, until I purchased a vehicle from Sam Lehman’s, that has been my experience. This being my first Jeep Wrangler so I was a little naïve as to how the vehicle should ride like and handle. Because of this my short test drive did not raise any concerns and my assumption that the vehicle was examined before it was put on the lot for sale blinded me to a couple obvious issues I would have noticed otherwise.

The long drive home brought to my attention some concerns about the way the vehicle handled and drove. I crawled under the front end and noticed oil leaking out of the steering stabilizer shock. Realizing I purchased the vehicle “as is” I ordered a new one with the intention of installing it. While installing the steering stabilizer shock I noticed the shock absorbers on the vehicle were OEM factory originals even though the vehicle had 73,000 miles on it and this was also adding to the unsafe handling characteristics. I ordered new shocks and when they arrived I installed them. Much to my surprise, while installing the shocks, I found the right rear brake caliper seized both rear rotors rusty and grooved. This prompted me to check the brake system in its entirety and, to be safe, I replaced front and rear rotors, brake pads, and rebuilt the rear calipers.

In addition to this the passenger side running board was rusted sufficiently that it partially collapsed while my wife was entering the vehicle. I replaced both running boards and treated/painted the rust on the frame. I used this as an excuse to buy new front and rear bumpers and installed them also though there was nothing wrong with the ones I took off. I still need to replace the gas tank skid plate and some of the mounting equipment for the tank. It is rusted to the point where I have some concern that in the future it may create an unsafe situation.

A little background as to why I bought a Jeep Wrangler. For the last 40 years my wife and I have ridden a motorcycle and explored the backwoods of all 50 states. For the last nine years I’ve been struggling with cancer and that this affected my balance and made motorcycling unsafe. Purchasing a Jeep was going to replace our much loved activity. I found, after owning this Jeep, that the cancer and the neuropathy have affected my ability to use a clutch and it causes pain. I contacted the dealership and sent them essentially what I have shared with you and asked them if they would help me in treating the vehicle back and perhaps even on the new one. I was told it was only worth $12,000 though I bought it in an unsafe condition for $16,000 just two months ago. I called the dealership and explained to the salesman the situation he spoke to his manager and they offered me just $10,000.
Just to reiterate, I am aware I bought the vehicle as is but my willingness to buy it “as is” was predicated upon the knowledge I was purchasing it from a new car dealership not a fly-by-night used car sales lot. However, my experience can only lead to one of three assumptions:
1. Their service department charged their sales department internally for an inspection that never occurred. If this is the case, I wanted to make their sales department that this practice is leading to the sale of unsafe vehicles. If it is true, I don’t believe they care
2. Their sales department had the inspection done and decided to sell the vehicle without any of the work being performed. This would surprise me for this practice is more reflective of the sales practices of the aforementioned fly-by-night used car lots.
3. The vehicle was put on the lot for sale without any inspection. This would also surprise and disappointment me.

No matter what the reason they are unwilling to do anything to rectify the situation so if you desire to purchase a vehicle in central Illinois I would suggest you stay away from the Sam Lehman’s dealerships.

Christi crux est mea lux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Boo hoo hoo. This is Dirty Laundry, and not General Discussion.
Plus....you bought an 11 year old JK in Illinois without inspecting it, and are shocked there is rust.

I am a troll. Do not take my advice. It isn't going to help.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anger issues? If you don't like the post, move on... Denigrating others does not make you a bigger man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Boo hoo hoo. This is Dirty Laundry, and not General Discussion.
Plus....you bought an 11 year old JK in Illinois without inspecting it, and are shocked there is rust.

Christi crux est mea lux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Rock God

dirty laundry does not belong in general. Sorry for your trouble but hey you have no one to blame but yourself and that can be painful. there is a reason your posts keep getting deleted on other forums.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Wheeler

Should have got your own inspection on a decade plus old vehicle and then negotiated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dutch577; 10-28-2019 at 05:40 PM.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 05:38 PM
Random Dude

OP -

1) Look up^ Thread Tools --> Moderation Tools --> Move Thread
That's how you move this thread to Dirty Laundry. Do that.

2) You have Latin in your signature, so . . . caveat emptor
Assuming a used car is perfect is asking to be fucked. You got fucked.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not happy that you got fucked, but that's on you.
Fixing the location of this thread is something you can fix, so please do.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 10-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

This is absolutely status quo for as-is used car sales anywhere in the country.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
OP -

1) Look up^ Thread Tools --> Moderation Tools --> Move Thread
That's how you move this thread to Dirty Laundry. Do that.

2) You have Latin in your signature, so . . . caveat emptor
Assuming a used car is perfect is asking to be fucked. You got fucked.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not happy that you got fucked, but that's on you.
Fixing the location of this thread is something you can fix, so please do.
thank you moved

Christi crux est mea lux
post #9 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJonG View Post
Anger issues? If you don't like the post, move on... Denigrating others does not make you a bigger man...
1) I'm not angry.
2) Your post was stupid.
3) I don't know any Latin nor use the word denigrating. I had to look it up. It more or less means to unfairly sully or belittle. I was more fair to you than you were to Sam Lehman. They sold you a car for what you felt was a good price. You felt that your experience in car sales made you too much of an expert to have the jeep inspected. I never said you were a moron, only that your troubles were caused by you. (Ok, didn't say it, but that's my meaning).
4) I like, no, love your post. No need to move on, ARB, none at all. You amuse me. For a guy selling himself as a Jesus man, you seem to have missed the point of Proverbs 12:1 and Exodus 20:16

post #10 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJonG View Post
thank you moved
Glad to help! - thanks for moving the thread

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
. . . ARB . . .
Benefit of doubt call = coincidence, but my Spidey sense was twitching in that direction

post #12 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

@ExWrench I know I can be a dick. When I see a post like the OP's the hair on my neck stands up. There is something that says, "Karen is near". Waiting for a thou or a bribery defense type deal over here.

post #13 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 AM
you can go piss up a rope

I wish my life’s problems could be solved for $6,000.
OP, people here are dealing with far more challenging things in life than taking a bath on a car purchase. You don’t see these people dumping the contents of their purse out all over the forum every time they don’t get their way.

Suck it up buttercup.

Edit: unless you are Jeep momma. She usually does.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
y’aller quenchin' with beer
post #14 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nobody here cares. You should post this on Pirate 4x4, they "might" care.

Kevin
post #15 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 PM
Rock God

@RevJonG It sucks it happened, but these are life lessons. Figured you would have know that by now. Would you have bought a motorcycle with only a short ride and taken the dealers word on it? Also multi-posting/cross forums seems you want attention.
@coilrod You are a dick. Though, I wouldn't consider you angry.
@ExWrench You write-ups are always on point. Thank you.
@snout Your life's problems could be satisfied for $6,000, but you would end up with additional problems or maybe in a ditch.
@gt1guy When this thread gets over to Pirate, link the thread. It would be a good laugh.
j3ff3ry_j33p and ExWrench like this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #16 of 25 Old 10-29-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
@RevJonG It sucks it happened, but these are life lessons. Figured you would have know that by now. Would you have bought a motorcycle with only a short ride and taken the dealers word on it? Also multi-posting/cross forums seems you want attention.
@coilrod You are a dick. Though, I wouldn't consider you angry.
@snout Your life's problems could be satisfied for $6,000, but you would end up with additional problems or maybe in a ditch.
@gt1guy When this thread gets over to Pirate, link the thread. It would be a good laugh.
Thank you...
No need for attention, just wanted to warn others... I now see wrong venue, wrong method. Won't do that again!

Christi crux est mea lux
post #17 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 12:47 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post

You're making me tingly all over, even in my no-no places

Apologies if you got a shitload of mention notices earlier
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

post #18 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 10:45 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

How does everyone with a sandy vagina find this place?

OP, I'm sorry that you got sand in your vagina and it's going to take $6000 to get it flushed out.

Have a nice day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #19 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Rock God

Hey I feel his pain. I bought this 2008 Jeep 12 years ago at a dealer and the damn thing has rust on it......I want my money back.

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
post #20 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Live and learn. I would not blame the dealer, you bought an 11 year old car in Illinois as is and did not do a proper inspection on it. Now if they were advertising it as a dealer certified car than you might have a valid point on the issues like the brakes.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #21 of 25 Old 10-30-2019, 09:56 PM
FNG

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
I wish my life’s problems could be solved for $6,000.
OP, people here are dealing with far more challenging things in life than taking a bath on a car purchase. You don’t see these people dumping the contents of their purse out all over the forum every time they don’t get their way.

Suck it up buttercup.

Edit: unless you are Jeep momma. She usually does.
Suck it up buttercup. I'm stealing that for sig line

Suck it up Buttercup.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-31-2019, 06:41 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You are trying to blame the service department for something they might not even know about = fail

You are trying to blame the salesmen for something they don't care about = fail

Look in the mirror and see who to blame for this shit show = winning
ASSFROW and ExWrench like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Rock God

@pickletagging you’re an asshole and JKO dick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #24 of 25 Old 11-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cool

( edit: I just read thru all of this 1st time; edit to add that fact )
man, maybe we don't hold the numbers we used to but darn if I'm not a sucker for a good ole JKO schoolin' still.

This forum has some awesome left in it still.

you guys handled this appropriately. *sniff*
makes me proud...
you buncha lovable @pickledicktaggers

post #25 of 25 Old 11-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
1) I'm not angry.
2) Your post was stupid.
3) I don't know any Latin nor use the word denigrating. I had to look it up. It more or less means to unfairly sully or belittle. I was more fair to you than you were to Sam Lehman. They sold you a car for what you felt was a good price. You felt that your experience in car sales made you too much of an expert to have the jeep inspected. I never said you were a moron, only that your troubles were caused by you. (Ok, didn't say it, but that's my meaning).
4) I like, no, love your post. No need to move on, ARB, none at all. You amuse me. For a guy selling himself as a Jesus man, you seem to have missed the point of Proverbs 12:1 and Exodus 20:16
hahahaha

hahahaha.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode