UPS, what the hell!?!?!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
UPS, what the hell!?!?!?

So I have to get on here and vent before I drive my ass over to the UPS store and go on a rant.

I sold my stock front and rear bumpers to a guy in Texas, coming from Pennsylvania, shipping through the United Fucking Parcel Service. Dude paid $200 for the bumpers and it cost $150 to ship. I ended up driving to UPS to get a shipping estimate before they sold, and this was the price they gave me. So I came home, printed out the label, packed the bumpers in a gigantic box and returned to UPS with everything ready to ship.

Fast forward to 3 days ago when I get a "shipping adjustment charge" of close to $40 for an oversized package. Turns out they had in their records that I had only paid $77 and some change and that the bumper shipped for $118. So by my logic, if you were to take the $118 price and see that I paid $150, I actually overpaid. This was not the logic they used. They said I paid $77 even though $150 was charged to my card. After an hour on the phone, they finally come on and tell me that the package did ship for $150 and that was the price I paid, but there was an additional large package charge. This was all never discussed with me ahead of time. After an hour and a half on the phone I finally had the charge reversed.

Now comes the best part, and my personal favorite. Keep in mind that I paid $150 to ship these bumpers, which still looked like brand new when they left my possession, and that I INSURED the package. The bumpers showed up crushed. And I don't mean that there were little dents here or there, the front bumper ends were squished in to the steel sub frame and the rear bumper was mangled. So the buyer contacted UPS to see about the insurance coverage.

Today the adjuster came out to the buyers home and then gave me a call. They proceeded to tell me that the bumpers would not be covered for damage because they were improperly packed. WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! I had wrapped each bumper in $20 worth of bubble wrap, stuck large pieces of cardboard between the bumpers inside the box, and used a box that was 78"x24"x25" and I used about 2 rolls of packaging tape to secure it all. Then they tell me the bumpers are being sent back to me for my inspection. And I am out the $150 for shipping and I have to refund the guys money for the bumpers. So all things totaled I am out $350 according to UPS.

Can anyone explain this so that it makes sense to me? What is the point of insurance if UPS can just claim something was improperly packed and get out of it? Does UPS have a shipping inspector that stamps packages as properly packed or not? Why am I being made to pay the $150 shipping cost that ultimately led to them just destroying perfectly good bumpers? I can think of a lot more inventive ways to spend $150 and destroy stock bumpers. And now what am I supposed to do with the loss of $200 and 2 destroyed bumpers?

If any vendors that use UPS often could chime in, or anyone that has dealt with a situation like this before could explain stuff to me, please let me know. I have had a side business of selling items on eBay for many years and this is the first time I have had an issue like this with UPS. Thats probably because in the past I always dealt with USPS and FedEx, which I will continue to do in the future.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

wow what a mess thats why no body ships anything

hope you get it all figured out zack
post #3 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
JKO Addict!

I would ask them what proper packaging is. I.E. how do they deliver them to dealers/repair shops? I have had UPS claim that an Item that was damaged was not properly packaged before, then I showed them the reciept for UPS packaging the item and the guy STFU real fast and refunded my money. Good luck.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 03:49 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quick tip that I learned a few years ago is that, THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for ANYTHING. EVEN IF YOU CAN SEE THEM DAMAGE THE PACKAGE!!!

I went to a local place (Mail Boxes Etc, I think), and they actually will inspect the package to see if it is properly packaged before you seal it. This is so they are ABLE to insure it. Pack it like you are going to, and then tape it up in front of the person, and they have a sticker or stamp to actually prove it.

At least that is what I was told a few years ago.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #5 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

This is exactly why I try not to ship items if possible. I always get quoted one price, then when I go to actually ship the item, they tack an extra 50-70% to the quote.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I hate UPS they overcharge and under deliver. Ill stick to fed Ex

Sorry you have to deal with those douche bags
post #7 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Rock God

The UPS handlers play football and soccer with tha packages. They deliberately damage any box they can and worse if it has a Fragile label on it.
I have heard this from several UPS employees. They think it is funny. And because they are union it is exceedingly hard to fire them.
Ship FedEx.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I kinda figured that they do that with the boxes, but its a little hard to punt a box that weighs close to 70 lbs. and is about 6 feet 6 inches tall or wide if laid down. I can't wait to get it back and resolve this to see what kind of company UPS is. If this is resolved in a good way, this whole thread will have a different feel to it. As of now, I think everything in here about UPS is pretty accurate. Assholes.

I will now only ever use FedEx. Or maybe even DHL, if they even ship packages for people. Whatever I have to do not to use UPS. Assholes.

Seems like whenever I types UPS, assholes just shows up like that auto correct text on the phone.

UPS. Assholes.

post #9 of 33 Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Years ago I was working as the Shipping/Receiving guy for my company. I was shipping a package that had some sensitive (but not overly delicate) equipment inside so I stick FRAGILE stickers on it. The UPS guy comes, picks up the box, and tosses in his truck. I say HEY that's says FRAGILE, take it easy. He tells me that since everyone puts them on no matter whats inside they just ignore them.
The other thing is that whenever someone who drop something and say "oops", we would all say "No...UPS"
post #10 of 33 Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

if it were improperly packaged why dis THEY ship it in the first place?
post #11 of 33 Old 10-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinmagician View Post
if it were improperly packaged why dis THEY ship it in the first place?
I'd take that a step further and inquire how they expected to adequately ensure the package was properly packed if thy didn't inspect it prior to shipping if it was an insured shipment?

If I ever ship something, you bet your ass it ain't shipping via Oops

Hope this works out.

post #12 of 33 Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Rock God

FedEx is non-union too. That means if a FedEx employee screws up he can be fired.
That is not the case with UPS. What is the Union's answer? Demand the unionization of FedEx so they are as handicapped as UPS is.
post #13 of 33 Old 10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
years ago UPS was a trustworthy company.....their drivers had to have a clean driver record, no accidents, tickets etc. I have an uncle who use to drive for them and they were very strict to include probationary period if a driver broke something during delivery. Guess it's come down to they take who they can get since FEDEX is spanking them in the delivery business!
I don't know who told you that crap , the driving record is still the same , it's has to be clean , just like any company that has people driving all day , it's so easy for people to talk what they don't know , just because you heard it from somebody , I will tell you now there are so many people who work at ups that don't care about your package or the company and they are the ones who damages your package

To the op , that does suck but fight as much as you can , question every thing they tell you , ask what is the right way to ship a bumper and tell them that's what you did , take pics when it comes back and make hell about it ,150 is a lot of money
post #14 of 33 Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
FedEx is non-union too. That means if a FedEx employee screws up he can be fired.
That is not the case with UPS. What is the Union's answer? Demand the unionization of FedEx so they are as handicapped as UPS is.
Again talk what you know , you can get fired from ups real easy and the union will not help you , when it comes to stealing and damaging , you are Screwed and the union want back you up
post #15 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

So I finally got an update for anyone that cares. I have talked to 4 different people at UPS on 4 different occassions, and 3 calls to the insurance company UPS uses, and finally this last time I got what I consider to be a resolution.

The first couple times I called I was speaking with Indian people that I could not understand. And they were having a hard time understanding why I was so upset. No one was really understanding anything. The third call I made was another Indian person and after about 2 hours on the phone and requesting to speak to a supervisor several times, I was finally referred to someone else that claimed to handle UPS insurance claims. This all let to nothing being done.

Keep in mind that all these calls were placed over the past 2 weeks when I had 3-4 hours to devote to talking to the idiots at UPS.

Finally, my last call I was dealing with UPS's insurance provider and got a woman who's primary language was English I believe. Or at least, I got a woman who could understand me and could understand why I was so upset. She apologized a whole bunch while I told her how terrible this whole thing has been handled and how I will never use UPS ever again, etc. etc. To make a long story short, it took me about an hour and a half with her explaining the situation and what I would like to see as far as a resolution. By the end of the call, it turns out UPS will cover the damage! So now UPS is mailing out an information packet that I send back to them, which is then relayed to the insurance carrier or some shit. I need a written estimate about the value of the damaged part to submit to their insurance company. And it was explained to me that the refund I give the customer needs to be worked out with the customer, including the shipping. My understanding is that UPS will pay the value of the damaged bumper and the cost of shipping.

My question now is this: Where can I get a written estimate for the piece that was damaged? UPS was not specific, and the only portion damaged and returned to me was the plastic front bumper cover, no hardware, no plasticky skid plate or air dam, and no top plastic piece. Do I provide UPS with an estimate for the entire assembly new, like from Qtec? Or used from a junkyard?

Or do I call UPS again to see exactly what they want? Please tell me I don;t have to deal with those morons anymore.

post #16 of 33 Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Am I the only one surprised somebody actually paid for some stock bumpers?
post #17 of 33 Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

200.00 on top of that! Makes me want to take off mine and see what I can get!
And good luck to the OP, I can't stand when companies do this, and they do it for a reason. Hoping you give up.
You should send them a bill for your time you had to spend on the phone, time is money and you just wasted 2-3 weeks of your life, and probably a couple gray hairs!

UPS sucks! I used to work at a warehose where UPS would drop off like a pallet of boxes, they always looked like they had been on the truck for years, beat up, shit hangin out. Like as if the guy loadin the truck had no arms and just kicked everything into the truck.
Again good luck and count to ten backwards.
post #18 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Rock God

There is a single lesson to be learned from this. Do not use UPS. I never will again if I can help it. Fed Ex is the only shipping carrier I will now use. I used to work for UPS...I quit because I couldnt stand the underhanded and dishonest policies and tactics they use there. My wife also used to work for UPS...she also quit because of similar reasons. What I am wondering is exactly how long it will take for someone to file a lawsuit against UPS? They seriously NEED to be sued and hard.
post #19 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post
There is a single lesson to be learned from this. Do not use UPS. I never will again if I can help it. Fed Ex is the only shipping carrier I will now use. I used to work for UPS...I quit because I couldnt stand the underhanded and dishonest policies and tactics they use there. My wife also used to work for UPS...she also quit because of similar reasons. What I am wondering is exactly how long it will take for someone to file a lawsuit against UPS? They seriously NEED to be sued and hard.
Do you guys really think fedex is that much better and if you know how fedex treated the people you might think a little different and for this underhanded , dishonest stuff , I would love to hear what it is , oh and if you spent anytime working for ups , you would have known that got sued many of times for large amounts of money

Last edited by jaker; 10-24-2010 at 07:40 AM.
post #20 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Whatever you do over shoot what your cost was , so if you need 200 , get something that says 350 or so , how much insurance did you put on it
post #21 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
Do you guys really think fedex is that much better and if you know how fedex treated the people you might think a little different and for this underhanded , dishonest stuff , I would love to hear what it is , oh and if you spent anytime working for ups , you would have known that got sued many of times for large amounts of money
You can look at every complaint about UPS on this site alone and see how underhanded and dishonest they are. Both me and my wife worked for them and know first hand the kind of BS they pull with customers. Fed Ex has never damaged or lost a product of mine. And UPS needs to be sued for more than the little slap on the wrist lawsuits that have come at them so far. I will never use UPS and I will never recommend UPS to anybody for any reason...ever.
post #22 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I hate to hear about what happened and I hope you get it worked out.

I guess I have been fortunate with UPS, never had a problem and ship a fair amount of stuff. I have had some good drivers who have taken care of my stuff. Most recently with a bunch of Poly stuff that I ordered, he went out of his way to take it around to the back porch vs leaving it out front in plain view of the street. There was a bunch of money in those boxes and they were heavy as a mo-fo. I moved them twice and the boxes have about had it. I don't know how they were in such good condition sitting on the back porch. Props to Poly for a damn good packing job!

post #23 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post
You can look at every complaint about UPS on this site alone and see how underhanded and dishonest they are. Both me and my wife worked for them and know first hand the kind of BS they pull with customers. Fed Ex has never damaged or lost a product of mine. And UPS needs to be sued for more than the little slap on the wrist lawsuits that have come at them so far. I will never use UPS and I will never recommend UPS to anybody for any reason...ever.
You still havnt said what happen , you sound like a person who wasn't happy with there job and it's now ups fault for what happen , no matter who you use to ship your stuff things happen , I here people bitch about fedex and USPS same amout , everybody has a company they are happy with then they should use them
post #24 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
You still havnt said what happen , you sound like a person who wasn't happy with there job and it's now ups fault for what happen , no matter who you use to ship your stuff things happen , I here people bitch about fedex and USPS same amout , everybody has a company they are happy with then they should use them
You are right I didn't like my job. So I quit. And I quit because of the policies and procedures I was required to enforce for a very dishonest company. I am not going to start disclosing company stuff that I could go to prison for disclosing. If you can't tell how dishonest they are just from reading this forum then I wouldn't want to waste my time anyway.
post #25 of 33 Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
axe
Wheeler

Sorry to hear about your problems.

On a related note, my Dad retired from UPS, great pension. The drivers all have knee/back problems when they get older, and unlike many union jobs (like mine!) those guys bust their hump. Like many companies, UPS is run by idiots. They will have managers ride with you and say things like "If you turn THIS way when exiting the truck you'll save .3 seconds, which adds up to 2 extra stops a day". Yeah, whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode