Steer clear of RR and other Omix-Ada products - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Should I steer clear of RR and other Omix-Ada products?

Bought an expensive set of black hinge covers (I know, but the wife liked the look) for the doors and hood (over $200 worth) and within a few months the paint started peeling off them. They have a warranty, but I'd need to take them all off and send them in first for "inspection", despite the fact I've sent photos. Problem is they come with long bolts that replace the stock ones and they are too long to snug up the stock hinges without their covers (and I no longer have the stock bolts). So I am supposed to drive around without hood or doors until they decide to send me new ones? I'm done with these people and want folks to know they have awful customer service and cheap parts. I will have to spend my own money to either 1. buy a set of factory hinge bolts that match my body color or 2) powder coat the covers. I should have just painted the damn stock hinges like many here have done.

*update*See next page for posts from Rugged Ridge. They took care of my problem.

Last edited by Vince1; 09-15-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Granite Guru

Isn't rugged ridge the same company that used to be called steel horse? Aka "rusty pony"

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #3 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

I had a problem with a winch lever they mailed me a new one then I sent them in the old one. I have only had great customer service from them. Ask for Adam he was very helpful with my problem. I bet people are not returning parts after they made them good. Give Adam a try Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt
Thanks

Wow that sucks. Thank you for the heads up I will steer clear of that company!

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #5 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

I have had good luck with them actually.
You get what you pay for, their stuff is not top notch...but does the job perfectly fine if you realize that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
When you pay 2/3 of the price for something, you get 2/3 the quality. Most of their stuff will need a coat of paint after you get it. Well worth the 1/3 savings imo

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've had the mirror relocatin brackets for 2 years and have had no problems. Sorry to hear that you did.
post #7 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They have been very good to me in the past, but something seems to have changed there recently. I bought a full set of Alloy Usa shaft a few months ago and bent/twisted one on the first wheeling trip.

I called them up and even brought the Jeep by since they are local to me. They agreed it was bent and gave me a replacement with all the bearings and seals that came with it. They claimed that much of the stock they inherited when they bought Alloy USA had not been heat treated properly. Fair enough, as long as they stand behind the product.

Fast forward a couple months until I bend the other one. First I was told tthat I had to go through the retailer. When I complained to management I was finally able to get the axle, but was told by the tech support guy that I was on my own on the bearing, seal, studs, backing plate and tone ring. I asked to speak to the boss again and was left standing in the lobby for 20 - 30 minutes before I said screw it and left.

I finally get in touch with management and they reluctantly agree to give me the accessory pack. So after another trip up there, they gave me a tj accessory pack.

I sent a couple of emails and left a few messages to no avail.

Screw Omix. I'm done.
post #8 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

I also think for their prices you get what you pay for. See how they deal with you on this issue first...then if it is not resolved I can understand your complaint. At this point it seems to me that you are more irritated by the fact that you didn't keep your factory bolts. Is that their fault? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #9 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I agree. The only product of theirs that I really like (fit and finish) is the dash tray. Otherwise their stuff is Junk in my experience.
post #10 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Why would I keep the factory bolts when they won't work with the covers? Do you keep every old part when you upgrade? Still got your old springs and shocks? How about the stock lug nuts after you've changed your wheels? Please, there isn't enough room in most peoples garage for all the stock crap we've removed. I guess it's my fault the paint failed using your logic.
post #11 of 47 Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
Why would I keep the factory bolts when they won't work with the covers? Do you keep every old part when you upgrade? Still got your old springs and shocks? How about the stock lug nuts after you've changed your wheels? Please, there isn't enough room in most peoples garage for all the stock crap we've removed. I guess it's my fault the paint failed using your logic.
I keep things that are small such as bolts because the dealer charges out the ass for them and you never know what will happen. You would have a sandwich bag of bolts at the most so it wouldn't take up much room. They would've been good to keep in case you ever sell the vehicle and the new buyer doesn't like the covers.

Of course it isn't your fault the paint chipped but it seems you are more mad that the bolts wont work without the covers since you threw them out. The company may take care of the problem with no issues so bashing them before you give them a chance to resolve the issue is harsh IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #12 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
The company may take care of the problem with no issues so bashing them before you give them a chance to resolve the issue is harsh IMO.
Omix has already made an issue since they are asking him to send his in first after they already saw pictures. I had surface rust issues with a Drake Off Road Stainless steel product and they had a replacement with a pick-up tag for the old part, out the door the same day after seeing pictures. Omix is not doing the right thing here.

I agree with keeping spare parts though, it would have made this a little easier on Vince. And yea, I do have my stock coils, and every single bolt that came off my truck.
post #13 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Those must have been coated in Chinese enslavement camp #6. The 10 year old worker wasn't tall enough to work the controls properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #14 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I keep things that are small such as bolts because the dealer charges out the ass for them and you never know what will happen. You would have a sandwich bag of bolts at the most so it wouldn't take up much room. They would've been good to keep in case you ever sell the vehicle and the new buyer doesn't like the covers.

Of course it isn't your fault the paint chipped but it seems you are more mad that the bolts wont work without the covers since you threw them out. The company may take care of the problem with no issues so bashing them before you give them a chance to resolve the issue is harsh IMO.
First, I could give a damn whether future buyers like my mods or not. Second, I've got 4 vehicles and 5 bikes in my garage. I can't be holding on to stock parts when I replace them. Third, I have been going back and forth with them daily for 3 weeks now...they've certainly been given the chance. Finally, you are defending the indefensible: Bad products and poor customer service should not be condoned by the Jeep community.
Contrast this experience with the one I had with condensation in a Warn driving light. I called Warn, first they apologized, then they said they'd send a replacement out immediately. I said it may have been my fault, recently wheelin' through streams. Doesn't matter they replied, "it's a sealed unit and shouldn't happen, but if I would be so kind, after installing the replacement, if I could put the old one in the box and leave it by my doorstep, they would hve UPS pick it up on their nickel...not because we don't believe you, we want our technical department to examine it and make sure there isn't a problem so that others don't get inconvenienced" Wow, I said, I feel confident buying your products and even promoting them to others.
Ever wonder why people pay 2-3 times as much for a Warn winch than some competitors? Great products and great customer service.
post #15 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As others have said, and will say time and time again; You get what you pay for.

Rugged Ridge, Smittybuilt, Procomp, etc. is cheap for a reason. You must consciously make those purchases expecting that you may be buying a POS.

You see countless posts in this forum of people asking about Smittybuilt winches, procomp, rough country/Zone lifts, and other sub-par products. Experienced members warn them about what to expect, but they always buy the junk anyway; almost like they a seeking just one justification or positive remark so they can disregard the other 10 negative reviews. I understand that money may be tight, but thats a better reason to hold off and save up for something that will last.

Unfortunately for the op, a lot of those cheap "trinkets" that you add to your jeep are only made by these crappy companies. IMO, its best to just keep them off of your Jeep. I hear you and feel for you on the wife thing; My JK was going to be my wife's jeep at first, and she wanted it to look like a Quadratec catalog poster-child too. Luckily for my JK, I sold my XJ and rescued the JK from my wife (for the price of 1 Lexus).

Sometimes they work out for you, but often they don't. I have those cheap RR headlight guards on my jeep and those have worked out OK, but he RR wheel spacers and Smittybuilt bumpers fell apart. I learned the hard way too.
post #16 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Those must have been coated in Chinese enslavement camp #6. The 10 year old worker wasn't tall enough to work the controls properly.
Probably more likely that the 10 year old was squatting over a rock pounding on a piece of metal to make a wok, but he messed up while flinching at the crack of the whip and had to pound it into a Jeep part instead.
post #17 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
As others have said, and will say time and time again; You get what you pay for.

Rugged Ridge, Smittybuilt, Procomp, etc. is cheap for a reason. You must consciously make those purchases expecting that you may be buying a POS.

You see countless posts in this forum of people asking about Smittybuilt winches, procomp, rough country/Zone lifts, and other sub-par products. Experienced members warn them about what to expect, but they always buy the junk anyway; almost like they a seeking just one justification or positive remark so they can disregard the other 10 negative reviews. I understand that money may be tight, but thats a better reason to hold off and save up for something that will last.

Unfortunately for the op, a lot of those cheap "trinkets" that you add to your jeep are only made by these crappy companies. IMO, its best to just keep them off of your Jeep. I hear you and feel for you on the wife thing; My JK was going to be my wife's jeep at first, and she wanted it to look like a Quadratec catalog poster-child too. Luckily for my JK, I sold my XJ and rescued the JK from my wife (for the price of 1 Lexus).

Sometimes they work out for you, but often they don't. I have those cheap RR headlight guards on my jeep and those have worked out OK, but he RR wheel spacers and Smittybuilt bumpers fell apart. I learned the hard way too.
well said man. I will be buying a set of stock hinge bolts and throwing the cheap Chinese covers in the trash. Chaulk it up to lesson learned. I won't even give them away...nobody should have crap on their Jeep.

{added rant} Can anybody name even a single Chinese made part or tool that is worth a damn?

Last edited by Vince1; 09-14-2010 at 09:15 AM.
post #18 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
well said man. I will be buying a set of stock hinge bolts and throwing the cheap Chinese covers in the trash. Chaulk it up to lesson learned. I won't even give them away...nobody should have crap on their Jeep.

{added rant} Can anybody name even a single Chinese made part or tool that is worth a damn?

Does my Chinese girlfriend count as I know there are a couple of her parts that are very much worth a damn or two....

Sorry I just had to say it....

/

post #19 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

LOL! Sorry, but my rant has nothing to do with the Chinese people. It is solely directed towards the industrial base and companies (many US) polluting stores with cheap junk that doesn't last. Heck, the people there just want to work like everybody else.
post #20 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

Vince,
A PM has been sent. I have spoken to the C/S Tech that was handling your issue. I would like to follow up with you. It appears that the retailer was also involved and he was pending a response from them (sorry for the time delay). Regardless of the response from the retailer he was going to be taking action on this issue today.

Last edited by Rugged_Ridge; 09-14-2010 at 09:41 AM.
post #21 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
LOL! Sorry, but my rant has nothing to do with the Chinese people. It is solely directed towards the industrial base and companies (many US) polluting stores with cheap junk that doesn't last. Heck, the people there just want to work like everybody else.
I know, I was throwing out a bit of humor.

But for the record, I've been quite happy with my RR front bumper. It was already installed when I bought the Jeep, but so far I haven't seen any issues. Also I have to also say I still owe Omix a big "thank you" for their help back in 2006 when I sheered a front control arm mount on Golden Spike. They just happen to have a set on display during EJS and they just handed me one to get me back on the trails.

/

post #22 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Does my Chinese girlfriend count as I know there are a couple of her parts that are very much worth a damn or two....

Worthless with out pics.
post #23 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Does my Chinese girlfriend count as I know there are a couple of her parts that are very much worth a damn or two
We may need to inspect said parts for quality before we form an opinion .
post #24 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post

i tend to agree with you on some of the lower priced stuff. BUT, you have to look at where some of it comes from.

the smittybuilt winches for example, so far, have shown a lot of potential. I don't think people will be rebuilding them in 15 years like they do with WARN, but for under 300 bucks they're tremendous value for $.

back in the day 4wd's lift kits were made by BDS. they were fabulous, well priced, rode well, and were inexpensive.

that being said, if you do your research you won't end up with junk. We tried the 75 dollar smittybuilt compressor and it was pretty junk. returned it for a viar. it was a 75 dollar risk that didn't pay off, but also didn't cost anything.

just my .02

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #25 of 47 Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Your girlfriend holding an iPad would be worth a potential three damns.

We have a great resource, being directly connected to most companies through JKO. If you have a problem with anything, shoot them a PM or look up their contact info (as they usually list it to increase their sales or to improve customer satisfaction) and get in touch with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode