New JK: WTFIT? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down New JK: WTFIT?

So I picked up my new Rubi Unlimited last weekend & am getting used to a plastic dash, Nav, AC, remote start, and power windows in a Jeep of all things. I think I can make that conversion. Eventually. But there's two things I just don't get about this Jeep:

1) The V6. What a pathetic POS that is. Can't even get out of it's own way! I was planning for a Hemi a couple of years down the road, but it may need to be soon! After reading the posts here on the Superchips Flashpaq, I ordered one & hope it will at least tide me over a while. Man, this V6 is a joke. What were they thinking, and who the hell decided to put that in this (otherwise) Sweet Ride?

2) The cupholders. Yes, the cupholders. I'd be perfectly OK without them - it's a Jeep! But if you're going to put them in, can you make them hold more than a shot glass? Who drinks from a can anymore? It's at least a 20oz bottle, or a 44oz or bigger cup. I know, I know - it's just a damn cupholder..but c'mon - cupholder science is one of the most advanced areas of research in all cars built in the last 10 years!! Tuffy is in my future, but again - didn't know I needed those mods so soon!

So tell me - what's the history on each of these? (Particularly the engine)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Granite Guru

1. I have to ask..did you not test drive one before you bought it?
2. In my 2007 you can pull out cup holder insert. It will then hold a drink huggie.
post #3 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I cut my cup holders insert in half. That way I can remove the front one for larger drinks and leave the back one alone for smaller ones. As for the motor I left it alone. I figured if I cut it in half, it wouldn't solve the power problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

If you do not like it return it and pick up your minivan.....

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

the engine on the JK sucks? Ive never heard of this before.

please go drive to a used car lot or find a friend with a YJ or a TJ that has a four banger. drive around in that for a few minutes and your JK will feel like a vette.

the bigger sized cup holder in mine holds a giant red plastic 32 ounce cup from my work. works fine for me.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #6 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

When the top starts pissing on you and your ball joints wear out (next week), the cup-holders will seem miles away.

It's a Jeep thing.

Enjoy!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
It's a Jeep thing.
get used to it!!

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #8 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
When the top starts pissing on you and your ball joints wear out (next week), the cup-holders will seem miles away.

It's a Jeep thing.

Enjoy!
Niiiicccceee!!!

Yes, I test drove one. The V6 sucked then. It just seems to suck worse the longer I own it. Like I said - the Hemi has always been part of the plan, but man - it *does* seem like driving the old Iron Duke 4 cyl in a 70's CJ. With a crappy auto trans besides.

All Jeeps have stuff that sucks. (Model 20 rear end, Motorcrap ignitions SR-4's on the old CJ's to name a few). I knew that & bought w/ eyes open. It will be nearly perfect someday. But holy crap, this engine is embarassing!

I pulled the insert on my cupholder & it still doesn't fit my Nalgene water bottle. Shopping for cupholder-shaped water bottles until I can collect enough scratch to call Tuffy.

Ball joints, huh?
post #9 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

\drawn out nasal drone

"Welcome to Camp Quitcher Bitchen, I'll be your Camp Counselor. My name is Shut The Fuck Up."

\drawn out nasal drone

Quote:
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #10 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

I assume you bought an auto. I have a 2 door 6 speed, it has never been "slow" to me. It's not necessarily the engine that sucks, it's the shift points in the auto that suck. A programmer will help, so will gears. There's lots of great info here for you to catch up on.

Congrats!

ps, there's a new engine coming out next year that is supposed to be way better than the 3.8...bummer.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #11 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
\drawn out nasal drone

"Welcome to Camp Quitcher Bitchen, I'll be your Camp Counselor. My name is Shut The Fuck Up."

\drawn out nasal drone

X 2 ---O my cup holders hold my coffee just fine, and My 2 door 6 speed does just fine I can take 3rd gear up to 80mp before I have to shift, I dont do it all the time but some times I do. O and stop these things are not made to go 120 mp they are made to go over shit and be a life style Maybe you should not have gotten a auto. Thanks

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl

Last edited by 2010jk; 09-09-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #12 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
\drawn out nasal drone

\drawn out nasal drone

Impressed.....

RENEGADE
post #13 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just take it offroad and shift it into 4LO and all the V6 and cupholder drama will be gone.
post #14 of 64 Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep2.0 View Post
2) The cupholders. Yes, the cupholders. I'd be perfectly OK without them - it's a Jeep! But if you're going to put them in, can you make them hold more than a shot glass? Who drinks from a can anymore? It's at least a 20oz bottle, or a 44oz or bigger cup. I know, I know - it's just a damn cupholder..but c'mon - cupholder science is one of the most advanced areas of research in all cars built in the last 10 years!! Tuffy is in my future, but again - didn't know I needed those mods so soon!
Put down the Super Gulp and grab a bottle of Poland Spring. It'll hold the 1 L bottle with ease. For the 1.5L, lay it down along the e-brake.
post #15 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
\drawn out nasal drone

\drawn out nasal drone

Sweet! I see I'm going to like you guys here.

I bought the current model because I don't like the 2011's dash, and I like to pay cash for slightly used ones vs always in debt.

I'm thinking any new engine they put in short of a Hemi won't be worth waiting for - my Vortec in my old CJ & my GMC PU had me spoiled I guess. Superchips will tide me over a while, but Hemi is a must-have.

It's not the end - it's the beginning of a build project.
post #16 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whatever you do, don't put bigger tires on it...you'll just bend the axles.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #17 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Sweet! I see I'm going to like you guys here.

I bought the current model because I don't like the 2011's dash, and I like to pay cash for slightly used ones vs always in debt.

I'm thinking any new engine they put in short of a Hemi won't be worth waiting for - my Vortec in my old CJ & my GMC PU had me spoiled I guess. Superchips will tide me over a while, but Hemi is a must-have.

It's not the end - it's the beginning of a build project.
Hey congrats on the new Jeep and great reaction to a little razzing.

Our '08 four door is still mostly stock, auto with 3:73 and 32" Rubi tires. After a few k it seemed to open up a little... or maybe we just got used to the anemic performance, IDK.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Regear to 5.38s, put on smaller 28" tires and buy a smaller water bottle. Problem solved.

Seriously though, if you plan to go to larger tires, regear to 5.13s or 5.38s and call it a day.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #19 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM

FWIW ... I picked up a loaded Sport Unlimited last month and hated the engine the first 1,200 miles. I'm at about 1,800 now and I don't know if I just got used to it or if the engine really did open up a little but it seems to be moving a lot better.

Not great, but better ...
post #20 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

The V-6 is kinda like Wal-Mart cheese whiz or that chunky broad you lured home from the bar. As time goes by, it still tastes like shit, but you start to get used to it.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #21 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
So I picked up my new Rubi Unlimited last weekend......
2)...... Who drinks from a can anymore?......

I drink from a can!

Congratulations on your new purchase!

ADD

post #22 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Wheeler

Re the V6: The JKs "drive by wire" accelerator is the cause for many poor drivability issues.

Try installing a Sprintbooster on the accelerator. It really perks up the engine and shift points on the automatic tranny. Much nicer to drive and more responsive. I installed it and the difference is remarkable.

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/index.htm

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.

Last edited by VSDPV; 09-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.
post #23 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Ha, everyone b****es about that "minivan engine". The the JK is the first wrangler I've owned that can not only hit 90mph, but maintain it going up a hill. And I have 3.73's with an auto and 35s.

Seems like an upgrade to me.

!c
post #24 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-ADD77 View Post

I drink from a can!

Congratulations on your new purchase!
LMAO hahaha
post #25 of 64 Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

If you are so concerned about speed upgrade your engine first. I can hit 100 mph and still have more gusto and thats going up hill. Yeah it costs money to do that but cheaper than you think. I spent about 1500.00 and yes I can beat a lot of cars off the line now too. NOT SPORT CARS but regular cars and trucks the ones that would of taut me a huge lesson in speed before the upgrades. number one upgrade is a programmer I have a Superchips Flashpaq, Number two is a cat back exhaust and number three is the sprint booster and number four is a cold air intake. The CAI is the most contraversial but I love my AEM, it works for me.
One thing you have to remember is this is a Jeep not a sport car, you might not be able to beat a sport car but you can definitely go over one.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode