Samsung Epic 4g (Galaxy S) rant... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0
Samsung Epic 4g (Galaxy S) rant...

Well, went and upgraded my wife yesterday from the old Motorola V3 to the new Samsung Epic 4g (Sprint) only to find there is no OUTLOOK support. In addition, the local Sprint store could NOT TRANSFER her multitudes of contacts to the new phone. What phone these days DOESN'T have at least basic outlook support? Samsung has MS EXCHANGE support, why not outlook?

This is the 7th (2 PALM, 3 WINDOWS, 2 ANDROID) based phones I have had over the years... and the first without Outlook support out of the box.

(already been on the Sprint Forums... where the Sprint apologists have been suggesting alternate software and methods. That is NOT THE POINT! I should not have to jump through a circus of software to get around what should be basic out-of-the-box functionality.)

(Also the Apple fan-boys jump up with iPhone! I call bullsh!t. What iPhone has a keyboard? The keyboard was the main reason I got it for my wife. I have an EVO with the onscreen touch keyboard and I hate it. My fine motor skills mean I type random garbage and that auto-correct software to suggest words drove me crazy to the point I turned it off. Besides, bigger and brighter screen, faster processor, more memory, and on, and on, and on.... means anything but Apple.)

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

does it still import and store contacts from gmail?

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #3 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm no fanboy but Apple's on screen keyboard is easier to use if you aren't used to one.

There is quite a bit of frustration surrounding these new superphones. Sorry you are having trouble!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Rock God

Have you tried speak to text on your EVO? It works really well. That is the only way I text anymore.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

Have you tried Samsung's Kies software?
I have the Captivate (ATT version of Galaxy S) and use Exchange so I don't have your problem. However the Kies software from Samsung is supposed to allow synching of Outlook Contacts and Calendar - can't validate that since I dont need it.
BTW, if you have not tried the SWYPE keyboard, it rocks. One of the best soft keyboards around.
Best,
Ron

Not planning for failure is planning to fail!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Rock God

I know this is an old post, but what are you trying to do with Outlook? If your just trying to move contacts from outlook to your phone it's very easy. You can use exchange to transfer your contacts from Outlook to Gmail. The phone will automatically update all contact.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Droid, EVO, Epic all run on Android OS, so alot can be done with these phones. Personally I'm not a big Samsung fan and I rock the EVO rooted with custom rom's and kernels changing every other day it seems.

That said, look into gsynchit. It seems to be the best option for the Epic.

Check us out on Facebook

Questions? Comments? Let us know
(888) 220-6861

post #8 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
I know this is an old post, but what are you trying to do with Outlook? If your just trying to move contacts from outlook to your phone it's very easy. You can use exchange to transfer your contacts from Outlook to Gmail. The phone will automatically update all contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Products View Post
Droid, EVO, Epic all run on Android OS, so alot can be done with these phones. Personally I'm not a big Samsung fan and I rock the EVO rooted with custom rom's and kernels changing every other day it seems.

That said, look into gsynchit. It seems to be the best option for the Epic.
I have studiously avoided as much as possible uploading things to Google.... I do not particularly trust Google. It seems a bit creepy to upload into the cloud all that personal information where who knows what cross associations are possible once they have hold of that information. After all, you would not want ALL of your phone records, bank records, medical records, tax records, and the like uploaded there based on "trust us" would you? Neither do I want all of my contacts, calendar, and email uploaded to their cloud.

So at the moment, my wife has been slowly, occasionally adding her most used contacts into her phone and hoping she does not mistype an important number.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode